Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I’ve not really been following but what's the SCMP line on all of this?

(Given who owns them now etc etc)
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
I’ve not really been following but what's the SCMP line on all of this?

(Given who owns them now etc etc)
SCMP front-line, live reporting has been pretty good and most journalists clearly support the protest aims on twitter.

The editorial line has come in for a lot of criticism for headlining protester misdemeanours, and downplaying or even "forgetting" to include police ones. For example summing up yesterday they go with: To view the link you have to Register or Login, ignore the image of the first aider shot in the eye (and forget to mention she'll probably lose it) or the To view the link you have to Register or Login that HK Free Press shot and many others ran with (warning: graphic content). SCMP also "does a BBC" publishing pro-Beijing opinion pieces alongside critical ones. In other words, they're pulling more subtly towards their owner's/Beijing's goals.

Compare that to Apple Daily, RTHK or To view the link you have to Register or Login who pull no punches in calling the police out on their brutality and law-breaking.
Old 13-08-2019, 11:32 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Just seen Carrie Lam's attempts to evade answering the question of whether she has the autonomy to withdraw the extradition bill. With that level of obfuscation, followed by outright refusal to address the point, followed by claiming she'd answered already, she wouldn't be out of place on here!
Old 13-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Sp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is here
hong_kong_hg, i know people who have flights out of HK on Thursday.

What chance do you think they have of actually flying? Have the protesters moved on from the airport now?
Old 13-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Message from someone I know in shenzhen. A load of blackshirted police all tooled up on Binhai ave.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 13-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Military building up on the border
Old 13-08-2019, 12:42 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
It's a full on propaganda war from China now - blackmailing companies in HK and internationally, strong-arming celebrities and business leaders into issuing public declarations of support for China and to boycott anyone who deviates even 1% from the official hard-line, an army of social media trolls, blanket promotion of easily debunkable fake news, branding protesters terrorists, etc. etc.
The silence from western democracies on this whole episode is deafening. No one wants to upset the Chinese...
Old 13-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Just seen Carrie Lam's attempts to evade answering the question of whether she has the autonomy to withdraw the extradition bill. With that level of obfuscation, followed by outright refusal to address the point, followed by claiming she'd answered already, she wouldn't be out of place on here!
She also said this morning that she can't be telling the police how to deal with protesters, that's up to them.

So in the space of a few minutes she has confirmed:
- We effectively have no Chief Executive, no leader
- We're a de facto police state

She tried (unsuccessfully) to cry crocodile tears about how HK was "being pushed over the precipice" by the protesters, but it was pointed out to her by the reporters on live TV that her inaction has done more to damage HK than anything the protesters have done.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Military building up on the border
Probably. Whilst there's a firestorm of mainland media publicising this is so, their choreography is shite, e.g. claiming a video of tanks and personnel trucks was filmed yesterday in Shenzhen (just over the border with HK) when (a) it was recognisably Fuzhou hundreds of miles away where there's a major army base anyway (b) it was cloudy / stormy all day here but the weather in the video is clear blue skies.

Nobody gives a damn here what posturing China wants to do in Shenzhen or simulations in HK of PLA combatting protesters. If they want to go for the nuclear option, they'll have to go full on nuclear because the depth of feeling is such that protesters will stand in front of tanks. Unless Xi/the CCP is so deranged they effectively want to nuke themselves, it's probably unlikely they'll actually do it.

I'd be surprised if compromise of some sort doesn't happen and fairly soon (1 Oct is I think 70th anniversary of the CCP, and there's Taiwan general election coming soon). China is seen as never compromising but they do it all the time, they just dress it up as a win for themselves.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End Eagle View Post
The silence from western democracies on this whole episode is deafening. No one wants to upset the Chinese...
Actually there's quite a lot of prominent political support for the HK protests and their goals.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Some of these folk I may disagree with many things they say and do, but their pronouncements here are important (even if their motivations for doing so are quite different to the HK folks').

I don't have an inside line of the protesters' thinking but the past few days has seen a change of tack to peacefully blockading the airport. This strikes me as a counter to the propaganda war China is waging through lies and disinformation - international awareness has ramped up markedly even if some tourists, business folk and locals are inconvenienced and turned off - and a demonstration of the protest movements power to disable key infrastructure and inflict economic sanctions.

Edit: all they want is the government to come and start talking. Almost certainly that would be enough to de-escalate things quickly. Their refusal to do so is illuminating, as it has blown away the myth of HK's executive autonomy.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 13-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:20 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Actually there's quite a lot of prominent political support for the HK protests and their goals.

Some of these folk I may disagree with many things they say and do, but their pronouncements here are important (even if their motivations for doing so are quite different to the HK folks').

I don't have an inside line of the protesters' thinking but the past few days has seen a change of tack to peacefully blockading the airport. This strikes me as a counter to the propaganda war China is waging through lies and disinformation - international awareness has ramped up markedly even if some tourists, business folk and locals are inconvenienced and turned off - and a demonstration of the protest movements power to disable key infrastructure and inflict economic sanctions.

Edit: all they want is the government to come and start talking. Almost certainly that would be enough to de-escalate things quickly. Their refusal to do so is illuminating, as it has blown away the myth of HK's executive autonomy.
Thanks for that. I guess it is not really coming across on mainstream news, as it feels like little being said.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle View Post
hong_kong_hg, i know people who have flights out of HK on Thursday.

What chance do you think they have of actually flying? Have the protesters moved on from the airport now?
Sorry missed your message earlier.
Where are they flying to? Long haul to Europe or US more likely to be ok than regional, especially into mainland China.

It's anyone's guess at the moment but I'd advise them to have a plan B up their sleeve. Some people I know have been re-booking their itineraries to leave from Shenzhen, Macau or Guangzhou that are a short land or sea trip from HK.

My guess would be the protests will move on from the airport once the message has been clearly received, that could be as soon as tomorrow.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 13-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End Eagle View Post
Thanks for that. I guess it is not really coming across on mainstream news, as it feels like little being said.
There's been pretty much blanket coverage by all major news outlets internationally since this started in early June - HK has been on the front page of the Guardian something like 12 days over this period for example, and WaPo, NYT and many others have given prominent coverage.

My suspicion is there's so much going on domestically in the US, UK and elsewhere, and it's so far away, that people simply don't have time to pay much attention. E.g. spoke to a headhunter in London yesterday who hadn't even heard there was any problem in HK at all.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Message from someone I know in shenzhen. A load of blackshirted police all tooled up on Binhai ave.
Blackshirts are probably To view the link you have to Register or Login ("people's armed police"), although it could be some other group.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Quicker than the human I

Just now the To view the link you have to Register or Login.

This is the key part, which blows Carrie Lam's, the HK Police's and the Beijing Liaison Office's position bang out of the water - and backs the protest's key demand for an independent inquiry into police criminality.

Old 13-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Sp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry missed your message earlier.
Where are they flying to? Long haul to Europe or US more likely to be ok than regional, especially into mainland China.

It's anyone's guess at the moment but I'd advise them to have a plan B up their sleeve. Some people I know have been re-booking their itineraries to leave from Shenzhen, Macau or Guangzhou that are a short land or sea trip from HK.

My guess would be the protests will move on from the airport once the message has been clearly received, that could be as soon as tomorrow.
Flying to London.

Just seen that the police have withdrawn from the airport.
Old 13-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Live footage: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Quicker than the human I

Well this is interesting. A guy appears to be clocked by peaceful protesters in the terminal as mainland (or maybe HK) police posing as a protester, who appears to then pretend to be unconscious. Paramedics eventually get him only after hundreds of riot police turn up and storm into the terminal, firing pepper spray and liberal use of the baton.

All the while flights are landing and on the level below hundreds of people are emerging into the arrivals hall.

The police have raised the tear gas warning flag. Are they f*cking mad?

Old 13-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Quicker than the human I

Peaceful protest until the police march in, then carnage ensues (and happening right now). Every single time the same pattern.

Now there's 1000s of people penned into an airport terminal and 100s of riot police outside itching to fire off their tear gas, and I'm just footage of them firing some sort of pistol (presumably pepper gun?) inside the building (To view the link you have to Register or Login).

Now the protesters have "captured" another undercover guy.

This is madness.
Old 13-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Quicker than the human I

Flight still in final approach and due to land up to 2am.