Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Dr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fineDr Socktopuss is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Dave, those old maps are amazing. And it confirms my memory as a kid - that the Whitehorse terrace was bigger than the Holmesdale.
I was only little, but in my memories it was HUGE
Old 08-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Is there a map which shows which parts Sainsbury's now own?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:08 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
That's the way I see it I can't see under our current owners them solving all our problems with the ground the way it's positioned now . If a Leicester Chelsea ect owner came in maybe we would buy sainsburys. Out including garage and houses by the main stand and with that footprint rebuild the whole ground in the middle or find a site elsewhere which obviously wouldn't be easy but arsenal brentford afc Wimbledon found sites I personally wouldn't mind if it wasn't in the existing area as long as it has transport links there must be a industrial waste land somewhere Olympics and arsenal found one.
I think our only realistic chance would be to buy back the land at Selhurst the Full Car Park and Sainsburys Store as it is very difficult to re-locate the club nearby in South London.

It strikes me as a lot of money for just one Stand though £100 Million?! when we actually own most of the land. I would rather a full re-build of the Stadium and do it all nicely after all the land needed had been re-acquired and it would be much more cost effective to do it. Not an easy job but maybe Sainsburys will decide to do business at some stage.

Rotate the Pitch and we should have more than enough space to build a decent ground. We could have underground parking as well to maximise the space. The only downside would be ground sharing for a few years while the re-build took place. Maybe Fulham could put us up for a bit?!

As we don't know when the land will be re-aquired we should focus on building up the Academy so we can start getting a production line of talent coming through 1st and have more chance of a sustainable future in the top flight.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:30 PM
analyse this

bourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
Whitehorse Whitehorse do your job, Whitehorse do your job
Old 08-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Old 08-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne man View Post
Whitehorse Whitehorse do your job, Whitehorse do your job
Old 08-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Most of it, I think, i.e. the space occupied by Sainsbury's now - the Whitehorse was a big old terrace, though not as big as the Holmesdale. The car park was ours as well (and now, I am pretty sure it belongs to Sainsbury's).
Doing this from memory, though, and my memory is reasonably impaired.
The Whitehorse end probably held 10k, maybe a little more all standing. It had 2 tiers with a wall separating them and it also curved around in the corners to be adjacent to the Arthur Wait stand and probably the Old Stand. At the back of the terrace there was toilets and a snack bar and behind that a very large area which stretched to Whitehorse Lane. Basically Sainsbury, The Palace Box Office and Shop and the 13 houses that face Whitehorse Road were all part of the Palace ground.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
The queues haven't changed still at the top of the Holmesdale .
Old 08-11-2019, 05:21 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
The school was where the houses on Wooderson close now are. Nowhere near Sainsburys. Noades wanted the land i believe and was not offered it, the council wanted housing i think.

Bloye sold the land to Sainsburys i think.
I assume these photos were taken on some kind of playing field they had at Lady Edridge...

Photos stolen from the Lady Edridge Facebook page.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashed View Post
The queues haven't changed still at the top of the Holmesdale .
And it looks like the game has already kicked off. Sort it out Parish!

The land behind the Main Stand looks like just a field but is fenced off, so did we own all that then?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I assume these photos were taken on some kind of playing field they had at Lady Edridge...

Have some rep!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Still amazing that the Council would flatten a school to predominantly make a car park. I guess money talks.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Was it a mixed school? Hard to tell in that 2nd picture
Old 08-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Time is running out

No Arthur Wait Stand so pre-1969
Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rhino View Post
Was it a mixed school? Hard to tell in that 2nd picture
LE school for girls right?

I guess that was the fashion of the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Never seen some of these photos before too - respect and thanks chaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 08-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
LE school for girls right?

I guess that was the fashion of the time
Both my mother and sister went there.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
My cousin went to Lady Edridge in the 70's... my Dad and I used to go pick her up sometimes. It was all a bit "Jolly Hockey sticks" and St Trinian's like from what I could make out.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:53 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
1971 courtesy of To view the link you have to Register or Login

To view the link you have to Register or Login
As a kid I used to jump the fence with my mates and play football on the Lady Edridge school playing fields located at junction of Clifton Rd and Holmesdale Rd and use the tennis courts you can see in this photo. Was doing so until I moved away from the area in 1978. Obviously only did so weekends and school holidays.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Yeah that top photo is the area where me and my mates would play football when the school was shut in evenings or at weekends. When an errant shot went over the fence seen in background of the photo into Palace road/alley which still exists today behind main stand, we would squeeze thru a gap under the fence and get into the road/alley behind main stand to retrieve our ball.

There was also a concrete ball park owned by Palace about the size of a 9-a-side pitch located in the middle of what is now the Sainsburys customer car park. We would also sneak into there as kids and play matches against other streets (my lot were all lads who lived in Holmesdale Rd).

Last edited by Gazza2; 09-11-2019 at 02:06 AM.