Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 21-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Prodigal Son

Mad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Sunderland and Man City over Easter, we lost them both. Remarkably that season we lost only once in our first 15 league games, away to the wankers. We didn't lose our third league game until new year's Day.
Yes. I remember going to Old Trafford that day. We took a big following.
Old 21-02-2019, 09:57 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Poor nomenclature by me.. my comment re finishing third, and being robbed of a European place no doubt, could have been different if we finished second... how different our history might be now. At times that year we looked unbeatable. The title wasn’t totally out of the question. I prefer running out of steam than choked... anyway

My main point was... third place is impossible these days so would two fa cup final appearances and longest stint in top league surpass coming third as best ever chairman on the pitch.

Let’s reserve judgement off the pitch and park that discussion untill we know where E400 and new stand finally end up in a few years time.

Last edited by palace_burger; 22-02-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:09 PM

stumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Poor nomenclature by me.. my comment re finishing third, and being robbed of a European place no doubt, could have been different if we finished second... how different our history might be now. At times that year we looked unbeatable. The title wasn’t totally out of the question. As others have said Easter and only taking 5 points from last 6 games cost us. I prefer running out of steam than choked... anyway

My main point was... third place is impossible these days so would two fa cup final appearances and longest stint in top league surpass coming third as best ever chairman on the pitch.

Let’s reserve judgement off the pitch in till we know where E400 and new stand finally end up.
I'm in a shittier stand with a shitter veiw. Season after next it'll be more expensive. Back on topic 91 team was an amazing team, actually in with a shout of winning the league but over Xmas we lost ground.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Just for the record we took 11 points from our last 6 games in 90/91, the only defeat being away to Liverpool. So we actually finished the season pretty strongly to secure 3rd place, 5 points ahead of Leeds in 4th. We ended the season 14 points behind champions Arsenal, who only lost one league game all season
Old 21-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
90/91 should be remembered for securing one of the major trophies. And for younger viewers there was a thing called Cup Second Replays. Bonus for remembering who it was without googling?
Old 21-02-2019, 11:19 PM

Two-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwo-Tone : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Just incase people missed it the first time...it really was a special season

Just wow, the break up of that team was one of the first experiences I had of lost childhood.

What was the zenith data cup? I was there at the final but never really understood how it fitted in to the other cups.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:22 PM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
90/91 should be remembered for securing one of the major trophies. And for younger viewers there was a thing called Cup Second Replays. Bonus for remembering who it was without googling?

90/91 would be the year after we lost to Man Utd, so assume Forest. Remember Salako scoring the equaliser in the last minute and the second replay being postponed just before kick-off(?).
Old 21-02-2019, 11:26 PM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post

Over the years, I remember second replays with Brighton (Chelsea), Swansea (Cardiff), Aston Villa (Coventry?) and Forest (Forest). I am sure there are more.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
90/91 would be the year after we lost to Man Utd, so assume Forest. Remember Salako scoring the equaliser in the last minute and the second replay being postponed just before kick-off(?).
Ugh. Also 2 visits there for games jus postponed prior to kick off...plus a league game too after the 3rd cup game up there (thankfully we won the last with Sir Steve's double sweeper formation)
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:20 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Raschic Ken View Post
Yes. I remember going to Old Trafford that day. We took a big following.
Wasn’t it something like 6,000?.
An amazing season that we’ll never witness again and we certainly didn’t choke we just couldn’t match the best two by a country mile in the league. Our best ever team simples. In today’s completely unbalanced league getting into Europe would equate finishing 3rd imo. It isn’t the same anymore imo.
Old 22-02-2019, 06:27 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
Over the years, I remember second replays with Brighton (Chelsea), Swansea (Cardiff), Aston Villa (Coventry?) and Forest (Forest). I am sure there are more.
We also staged the play off one for Swindon and Gilligham ?
Old 22-02-2019, 06:29 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Also that season was the 8-0 win against Southend in cup with Wright and Bright getting a hatrick each. Only 6xxx of us at Selhurst.
Old 22-02-2019, 06:58 AM

chandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchandlem68 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don’t forget how well we started 91/92. I was convinced we would win the title but then we sold Ian Wright.

Look at the table after 8 games (the 3-2 win at Oldham was superb)
Old 22-02-2019, 08:09 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlem68 View Post
Don’t forget how well we started 91/92. I was convinced we would win the title but then we sold Ian Wright.

I remember coming back in the car from Aston Villa after a 1-0 win early in the season and hearing Geoff Thomas being interviewed on the radio, and the talk was of us being genuine title contenders.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 22-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Acky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAcky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlem68 View Post

Wright, Bright & Salako were unplayable that day at Oldham. I had such high hopes after that game, hopes that were to disappear only to quickly with the sale of Wright. Great memories but slightly tainted (maybe wrong choice of word) by what could have been even greater memories if we had been allowed into Europe.
Old 22-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy feelers View Post
I'm in a shittier stand with a shitter veiw. Season after next it'll be more expensive. Back on topic 91 team was an amazing team, actually in with a shout of winning the league but over Xmas we lost ground.
Parish knows the E400 are going to end up in a far worse position, which is why he won't meet us.

As for 91 - we had a brilliant Christmas, beating Man City, Sunderland and Liverpool. It was January where we lost ground; losing two of our three league matches.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 22-02-2019, 09:51 AM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I remember coming back in the car from Aston Villa after a 1-0 win early in the season and hearing Geoff Thomas being interviewed on the radio, and the talk was of us being genuine title contenders.
wasn't that the first game in the Brazil kit?
Old 22-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Also that season was the 8-0 win against Southend in cup with Wright and Bright getting a hatrick each. Only 6xxx of us at Selhurst.
I was one of them, I doubt I'll see a bigger win!
Old 22-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Prodigal Son

Mad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is hereMad Raschic Ken Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
wasn't that the first game in the Brazil kit?
Yes. I got my first car that day, having passed my test some months earlier and not driven since the test. First thing I did was to jump in it and drive to Villa Park. On the way home I realised I hadn't driven in the dark before. A white knuckle ride down the M6 for a while!

It was a fantastic performance. We played like Brazil, didn't just look like them.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
I was one of them, I doubt I'll see a bigger win!
Me too and me too.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk