Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 20-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
1985 too. The Winter of Discontent was bad though. I remember when Ford gave their workers a big pay rise it was a real red flag to a bull for public sector workers. We got a 14% rise at work in early 79 and most people were unhappy but more strikes would not have won us much more. The guys all had mortgages to pay too and were losing overtime.

Last edited by Nth Kent Eagle; 20-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
But that will normally be the end result. If the workers are providing a service, which most of them are, then there will be knock on consequences for the general public.

I know Bromley Council library staff have been striking on various occasions over the past 12 months against cuts to library services and privatisation.

Do you really think it inconveniences their employers (Bromley Council)? All they do is deduct a days wages.

Yes it may inconvenience some library users but that is the only way of getting the message across and hopefully some support.
Bromley aim to reduce their permanent work force from 1,900 to 300 within 3 years.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:24 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
1985 too. The Winter of Discontent was bad though. I remember when Ford gave their workers a big pay rise it was a real red flag to a bull for public sector workers. We got a 14% rise at work in early 79 and most people were unhappy but more strikes would not have won us much more. The guys all had mortgages to pay too and were losing overtime.
Inflation rate was around 15% then so not really much help.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
No it wasn't much use. I recall asking for 22% and thinking we should have pushed it more.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:29 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I don't know how to make my point more clearly. I have already conceded that there will be inconvenience for the public, and that is in the nature of strikes. What I don't understand is planning strikes to cause the maximum chaos for the public. To cause pain.
If I'm going to give up a days wages I want to make sure I get my point across to as many people as possible. I doubt if I am causing pain.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 20-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
Bromley aim to reduce their permanent work force from 1,900 to 300 within 3 years.
Who's going to do the work, though? We're in a similar boat at my place where specific individuals have become single points of failure with the blessing of management. So basically the place just grinds to a halt when these individuals take a day's annual leave.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:33 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think you maybe find that easier to say if you don't face a four hour commute in weeks when there is a strike day or two.
All part of the merry go round of life.

Old 20-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I see you live in Copenhagen. I went there in the early 80s and there were three Burger Kings on that pedestrian strip so it is probably happening. As for London, it is getting more American everyday. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple all expanding and earlier in the week I saw that McKinsey's are moving to near where I work. De Gaulle's phrase about Britain being an American aircraft carrier off the coast of Europe has never been truer.
Couldn't just become the 51st state. We could drop out after 40years when we get bored with it.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
It did wonders for reducing debt though. I remember getting 3 pay rises in a year.

Old 20-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
No it wasn't much use. I recall asking for 22% and thinking we should have pushed it more.
One year in the 70's we all 15% but the union guy got 25%, he accepted the offer. I seemed to be the only one that noticed, never forgot that (obviously).
Old 20-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Policy advisor to God

It was a strange time with getting a large rise and having plenty of money but 12 months later being hard pressed but then getting another large rise. On the other hand it bought your house for you.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy01 View Post
Link please I've looked and nothing exists
Of course it does. For example, see European Council Conclusions 18-19 February, section D on free movement and para 2b on the "alert and safeguard mechanism" or what we call the 'emergency brake'. Such things were written into the Treaties primarily on social security. It's also part of the EEA Agreement (to which all EU Members are also parties) under Articles 112-113.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Policy advisor to God

Quote:
It did wonders for reducing debt though. I remember getting 3 pay rises in a year.
I remember the government gave you a rise by law every month to keep up with inflation. I seem to remember it reached 1.25% at one point. It was fueled by the government printing money (now known as QE) but can companies work in that environment, it was nuts.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry but can we get this right.

There was a miners strike in 1972 which resulted in some power cuts.

There was another in 1974 which resulted in the 3 day week.
Correct.

Strolling is having a bad few days.

Still at least he's a labour supporter........who just happens to have extremely right wing opinions.

Anyway he seems to think that May will be better for the workers than Corbyn.

Cricket wanker.
Old 20-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Seems like there was a two week unofficial strike in 1969 by 70,000 workers led by good King Arthur.

To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Old 20-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Who's going to do the work, though? We're in a similar boat at my place where specific individuals have become single points of failure with the blessing of management. So basically the place just grinds to a halt when these individuals take a day's annual leave.
The aim is to becoming a fully service commissioning council. They even have plans to sell off the Civic Centre site for luxury housing. Meanwhile, they have strategic reserves of well over 80 million and are buying commercial property across the UK for long term investment purposes.
Old 21-01-2017, 12:44 AM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Consultants. Who will probably be paid more for a worse service whilst coming up with some fantasy figures showing how efficient they are.

Last edited by rhino_mik; 21-01-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 21-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Policy advisor to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Consultants. Who will probably be paid more for a worse service whilst coming up with some fantasy figures showing how efficient they are.
I once got involved in a IT project in the mid 90 where the company were spunking a 1MEuro a week on consultants, I spent 6months feeling like the little boy in the story of the emporers new clothes. In the end the parent company got KPMG in to look at. They closed the project immediately. The guy in charge of the project was recycled into a job of lesser responsibility to see out his time with the company.
It wasn't possible to breath any sanity into it, one or two that did were made out to be fools that didn't understand its scope. Self preservation came first for me. That would be my suggestion for you Rhino.
Old 21-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
I was also the victim of a contracting out shambles. While waiting to be kicked out I was moved to a desk where I could clearly hear the idiots discussing how to insert delays into problem fixing.
Only the people who negotiate these deals benefit, usually tax free.
Old 21-01-2017, 09:09 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think you maybe find that easier to say if you don't face a four hour commute in weeks when there is a strike day or two.
Which side though should I blame?

Yes, of course I would be angry, but my response would be wanting to bang heads together, not to take sides.