Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 22-10-2019, 04:19 PM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I noticed that too, quite disappointing!
Old 22-10-2019, 09:43 PM

glenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is hereglenn.f Sam the man is here
My theory with Wilf, is that he's just playing more of a functional role in the side. Where he's doing the work expected of a player in his position but without the usual freedom he's got the last year or so. Whether it's to allow us to get used to the transition of eventually selling him, sooner as opposed to later, and replacing him with another functional type of player in that right sided position. Lessening the impact of losing him from the teamquite so much. Obviously in games where he produces that real difference is where we are likely to really fall down but it hasn't done us too much harm so far this season. It's a shame it's coming to this though but was always inevitable and I get the gut feeling that this is Roy's best way of getting us through what will always be a sticky period.
Old 22-10-2019, 10:07 PM

Twiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.f View Post
My theory with Wilf, is that he's just playing more of a functional role in the side. Where he's doing the work expected of a player in his position but without the usual freedom he's got the last year or so. Whether it's to allow us to get used to the transition of eventually selling him, sooner as opposed to later, and replacing him with another functional type of player in that right sided position. Lessening the impact of losing him from the teamquite so much. Obviously in games where he produces that real difference is where we are likely to really fall down but it hasn't done us too much harm so far this season. It's a shame it's coming to this though but was always inevitable and I get the gut feeling that this is Roy's best way of getting us through what will always be a sticky period.
Good point...well made...
Old 22-10-2019, 10:08 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well thought out post glenn, but playing him on the left side would help in the meantime.
Old 22-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar View Post
We will start to drop like a stone before you know it unless Wilf starts to perform
He’s been great during October so is there now a crisis with Wilf as he struggled to perform against the best club side in England if not the world?

I predict he will have a field day against Arsenal at the weekend
Old 22-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
That's an interesting point. It might also explain his more than usually sulky demeanour.
Old 23-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStavros 69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We’re just in a cycle where “flair” players are being given a hard time. Look at Ozil.
Young hungry players are just given a total pass.
Now Wilf is not considered a young up and coming player he’s given far hard a time.
Old 23-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
We’re just in a cycle where “flair” players are being given a hard time. Look at Ozil.
Now Wilf is not considered a young up and coming player he’s given far hard a time.
Or maybe it's because he isn't performing as he can, and worse seemingly not putting the required effort in.....
Old 23-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Dave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Or maybe it's because he isn't performing as he can, and worse seemingly not putting the required effort in.....
Correct. He hasn't made any impact this season in terms of assists and goals. He also seems reluctant to take players on, maybe because he has lost a yard of pace or doesn't have the desire anymore. Coming round to the view that it will be better all round if he goes in January. The trouble is who's going to pay big bucks based on current performances?
Old 23-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's an interesting thought but I am not sure it's the rationale for what we are seeing or a just a viable explanation.

The main reason that I doubt that it's the actual reason (i.e. preparing for Wilf leaving) is that this season's best preparation for Wilf leaving is almost certainly 'banking the points' before the winter window when he may leave (I think it's more likely to be next Summer BTW). That plus the Manager's disposition leads him to focus on what he can control today. I don't mean that he won't care about the future but failing in the short term risks screwing up any future scenario. So I just think he is picking from the current squad and deplaying them in the best way he can.

The 442 shape we deployed in Roy's early days worked but was reliant on Wilf emerging as the forward/striker that I suspect he wants to be (and was at youth level). In this role there was some scope for him avoiding running back to our own goal line but still requiring him to block off angles/press etc. Without an in form partner that really hasn't worked as well and quite often we struggled with our 2 in the middle. Roy (despite constant criticism for never changing) tried the 2 wide up front (AT and WZ) and then has gone to a 433 sliding into a 451. The latter requires whoever is playing wide to get back and help our the FB. It's the change of formation that is more likely driving the change. In a full 433 he would have to come back but not quite as far because the wide mid provides cover too.

So my 'guess' is that it's the formation change that's driving the 'functionality' you are seeing plus the fact that Wilf has struggled to find his best form and is clearly 'emotional'. I can't think of any reason why Wilf would be told not to take anyone on around the edge of their box (edge of our box, maybe) and so I can't believe it's an instruction.

Interesting thought though because it does make you think about what the team shape might be when he leaves.
Old 23-10-2019, 11:50 AM

jmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
Correct. He hasn't made any impact this season in terms of assists and goals. He also seems reluctant to take players on, maybe because he has lost a yard of pace or doesn't have the desire anymore. Coming round to the view that it will be better all round if he goes in January. The trouble is who's going to pay big bucks based on current performances?
Brilliant assist for Townsend in his previous game but ok
Old 23-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacejim View Post
One mediocre performance against the best team in Europe, and BBS members start wetting themselves again. Yawn...

Wilf loves us, we love him. He's the best player in our team. However, he is not world class and therefore cannot pull off consistently outstanding performances.

Having bashed Ward, Kelly, Townsend, Meyer, McArthur, Benteke, Ayew, PVA and Schlupp in the past 12 months, is it now Wilf's turn from certain sectors of the BBS?

I probably need to get a life responding to all of this dross, but a fair few here need to take a look at themselves.

For the record, those saying that Wilf songs have reduced in recent games, it's simply not true, he had the crowd singing for him against Norwich and West Ham.
All very true. Except when you say he is not world class. He is - but that will only be truly apparent when he's playing in a team that has a few more players of better quality than we have. Too often teams can have 2 or 3 players homing in on Wilf in the certain knowledge that the Palace players who are now unmarked will not pose a threat - usually because they're still in their own half
Old 23-10-2019, 01:15 PM
DGFootball Pod

Sir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Ozil has been dreadful for years!

Finally a few young players given a chance after years of being ignored. But keeping their places on merit.
Old 23-10-2019, 02:16 PM

palacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalacejim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
All very true. Except when you say he is not world class. He is - but that will only be truly apparent when he's playing in a team that has a few more players of better quality than we have. Too often teams can have 2 or 3 players homing in on Wilf in the certain knowledge that the Palace players who are now unmarked will not pose a threat - usually because they're still in their own half
You might be right. I have a feeling we will never find out how he will do in a much better team, as that ship may have sailed...
Old 27-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
His attitude looked poor until the penalty, then something clicked, and without seeing any real classic Wilf, he played like he gave a ****. Can't ask for much more, just hope it continues.
Old 27-10-2019, 06:44 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Still nowhere near his best but at least looked up for it second half.
Old 27-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is here
Same as last week. He was shite for 70 mins then came alive in the last 20.

I may have had a blind eye to his failings in season gone by but I can help but thinking 1) he used to be able to run faster with the ball & 2) he didn't give the ball away so much
Old 27-10-2019, 06:47 PM

alexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifo View Post
Same as last week. He was shite for 70 mins then came alive in the last 20.

I may have had a blind eye to his failings in season gone by but I can help but thinking 1) he used to be able to run faster with the ball & 2) he didn't give the ball away so much

Wilf does that from time to time. He always has and always will.
Old 27-10-2019, 07:24 PM
FFS 4.4.2!!

GRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGRAND UNION : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Less show pony more crosses needed.
Old 27-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He was outstanding today and loved the crowd singing he’s just too good for you.