Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Rebecca Long Bailey 8 9.30%
Jess Phillips 19 22.09%
Keir Starmer 38 44.19%
Lisa Nandy 16 18.60%
Emily Thornberry 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-01-2020, 03:05 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Could Labour attack Johnson personally?

Corbyn never would a) because it is morally wrong b) he has a past himself

I am not an advocate, but exposing the trail of destruction of Johnson's personal life, failed marriages, legitimate children, countless affairs, sordid groping etc would be damaging.

The press certainly hold a very strong card if they ever want to play it...
Old 15-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I was wondering about this, last night. I think the candidates for leader can't be the deputy. That's a separate election.
Old 15-01-2020, 03:46 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gristle View Post
Voted Starmer (just) over Nandy, who I would want as his deputy if he wins.

I think Lisa N needs to serve a bit of a front-line apprenticeship, before being a credible voting choice for all the recent non-Labour voters that the party would need to win back. Maybe she'll be ready by the time of the next election following a safe-pair-of-hands job by Starmer in the meantime?
She was in Corbyn's first shadow cabinet so does have some experience but she resigned in 2016 and said she wouldn't take another role in the Shadow Cabinet unless Labour reintroduced their Shadow Cabinet elections that were abolished in 2011. She was also rumoured to have been close to getting a spot in Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet but was considered to left wing.

Seriously she's competent and some on here have tried to reject her simply because she's my preferred candidate but I've actually picked the person I think is most likely to unite us all and I honestly believe she's the only one who can do that. Starmer, Long-Bailey, Phillips will all alienate parts of the party to greater or lesser degrees - Nandy won't alienate anyone and instead she'll heal and bring the party together.

CR is concerned at what she says about Europe but she's always been pro-remain and said as much with her views about a Customs Union today. The difference between her and say Starmer is that she at least listens to and respects the Labour leave vote without ever "pandering" to the right-wing elements of it.

The interview with Andrew O'Neil tonight at 7pm on BBC2 will be fascinating. He eviscerated Swinson and Corbyn prior to GE2019 and took Clive Lewis apart last week - he won't do the same with Nandy, she's too savvy. And if Starmer doesn't get more than 50% on the first ballot I genuinely belief Nandy will win sweeping up second place votes.

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!

Last edited by eddieskyclad; 15-01-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 15-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Thanks Eddie,will defo watch that tonight.
Old 15-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I think Eddie being in favour is a plus. He's our only representative of the benighted north on here. We need their votes, even if we only ever dare go there for the football and the pies.
Old 15-01-2020, 04:23 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I thought this
To view the link you have to Register or Login
from Nandy was quite good.
Old 15-01-2020, 04:27 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Nandy seems to be showing she's got what it takes in her speech and press conference today. She's not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. Not sure all the people suggesting the Labour leader shouldn't care about the nasty stuff foreign governments get up to will be too pleased with her stance on Russia, Saudi Arabia and the USA, mind. But she's impressed me.
You liked Clive too... should we now be fearful of her chances?

SaulAlinsky
Old 15-01-2020, 07:17 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Ouch...

Labour leadership voting intention (first preferences):
R. Long-Bailey: 42%
K. Starmer: 37%
J. Phillips: 9%
L. Nandy: 7%
E. Thornberry: 1%

Labour leadership voting intention (after second preferences):
R. Long-Bailey: 51%
K. Starmer: 49%

via @Survation, 08 - 13 Jan
Note:Survey of LabourList readers weighted to reflect Labour's membership

But as Lewis Godall says
-LabList members only.
-BUT unsurprising. Starmer’s front runner status based largely on one poll. Lots of structural things in RLB’s favour.
-no hustings yet. That’s when JC broke through. All to play for.
-if it’s v close like this, legitimatacy will be a problem.

WOW!
Old 15-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
Oh dear if RLB gets in add another 5-10 years to Tory rule
Old 15-01-2020, 07:45 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

If you haven't seen the Nandy interview with Andrew Neil please watch it. You'll see how she vanquished him without breaking a sweat, composed, clear, decisive and able to shut him down effectively. I know people thought because I liked her she must be a right-wing shill but after that performance surely you've got to be able to see her as a future Labour leader.

WOW!
Old 15-01-2020, 08:45 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieskyclad View Post
If you haven't seen the Nandy interview with Andrew Neil please watch it. You'll see how she vanquished him without breaking a sweat, composed, clear, decisive and able to shut him down effectively. I know people thought because I liked her she must be a right-wing shill but after that performance surely you've got to be able to see her as a future Labour leader.
I looked at the interview again and have changed my mind. I think I saw it through the prism of being worried about her Blue Labour links (which I still am, although more open minded on it given her comments on FOM).

It was a good interview, and she gave more answers than I thought at first viewing. I actually thought Clive Lewis did quite well again O'Neill, certainly much better than Corbyn or Swinson or Sturgeon.

But Nandy interview was the best I've seen.

Like I said having viewed it again I have to hold my hands up and say my first comments were wrong.

Last edited by cockneyrebel; 16-01-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 16-01-2020, 10:24 AM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
I've edited my post above on a second viewing of the interview.
Old 16-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Johnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
I looked at the interview again and have changed my mind. I think I saw it through the prism of being worried about her Blue Labour links (which I still am, although more open minded on it given her comments on FOM).

It was a good interview, and she gave more answers than I thought at first viewing. I actually thought Clive Lewis did quite well again O'Neill, certainly much better than Corbyn or Swinson or Sturgeon.

But Nandy interview was the best I've seen.

Like I said having viewed it again I have to hold my hands up and say my first comments were wrong.
Fair comment, I didnt see the interview but you are one of the posters whose opinions I would value (nb. though not necessarily always agree with) so although I originally voted for Phillips, I would be equally happy (allowing for the fact its early stages) with Nandy and Starmer. I'm beginning to think that any of the three would be acceptable but RLB would be like voting for 10 years of Tory rule. Thornberry looks finished.

Beyond having integrity and good policies (I too very much liked her comments on FOM) the key thing is electability so my concerns remain whether the red wall will elect either a London elite who could be associated with every terrorist and every miscarriage of justice from his work with the DPP (Starmer) or a non white, female with a speech impediment (Nandy).

The fact that the red wall could vote Tory when they have been the architects of austerity and lack of investment & skills training suggests that Nandy's proposition of FOM and more investment might get washed away with red, white and blue tory brexit, hate war against the EU and right wing press character assassination.. ....basically the new leader will have to know how to fight dirty, learn to attack and develop catchy sound bites as well as having a clear labour vision.