Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 16-01-2020, 12:34 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
Time may have clouded my memory, but I recall an outrageous Andy Preece chest trap turn and volley from the edge of the area.
Yeah, I was there. If I recall correctly, Chrissy Armstrong also beat the keeper at his near post & Southgate got one. I think those goals are featured on the Centenary DVD.
Old 16-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
A truly wondrous night

Funnily enough there was a similar night just a few weeks earlier, that is largely forgotten, namely the 4-0 win over Man City in the League Cup. Quality Selhurst night and all four goals were top drawer.

Lesser competition and fewer highlight shows about back then, so this one gets forgotten.

For me, the two goals that sent me over the edge in terms of mental celebrations were Dean Gordon v Derby 1994 and Hoppo at Wembley.
That is certainly up there with 'best strike of a ball by a Palace player' along with Dazza at Old Trafford & Andros at the Etihad.
Old 16-01-2020, 02:02 PM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjay View Post
Popovich's own goal
Absolute beaut. I was at Fratton Park that day but had no idea how glorious it was until I got home.

Often busted out by me when debating the best ever OGs.

Old 16-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Jim Cannon ‘79 v Ipswich . Best team goal ever scored on the hallowed turf and can’t be topped as it’s a perfect score of 10.
Old 20-01-2020, 11:26 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
For some reason Cliff Holton's goal from the halfway touchline away at Brighton on 12th January 1963 sticks in my head. It was a rare game on that day prior to the big freeze and his yellow gloves set a trend!
Old 21-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
For sheer brilliance and for no other reason.

1/ Ambrose vs Wankers.
2/ Townsend vs City.
3/ Southgate vs Pompey.
4/ Hopkin vs Blades
5/ Rodgers vs Wankers
Old 21-01-2020, 09:54 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
John Terry v Chelsea
Old 22-01-2020, 01:04 PM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger View Post
Absolute beaut. I was at Fratton Park that day but had no idea how glorious it was until I got home.

Often busted out by me when debating the best ever OGs.
If a striker scored that goal at the right end it would be goal of the season - the technique, the weight on the touch, exquisite!
Old 22-01-2020, 01:28 PM

Lindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLindfield Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My top 5

John Hughes v Sheff Utd
Don Rogers v Man Utd
Dougie Freedman v Gillingham
David Hopkin v Sheff Utd
Jordan Ayew v West Ham

I was there!!
Old 29-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Old Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Here is one for the really old Palace vQPR .Sept 30 1967. Famous for two reasons . Terry Long in a 1 - 0 win. toe poke from 1 yard out . Two things happened that day one Palace related, the other not. Answers please.
I remember the man standing next to me saying that he was glad that the ball had come to Terry Long, because any of the other players would have had the strength to lift it over the bar.
Old 30-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 View Post
Jim Cannon v Ipswich in 1979 to take us top of the league.
All the way.
Old 31-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
Time may have clouded my memory, but I recall an outrageous Andy Preece chest trap turn and volley from the edge of the area.
You remember correctly
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 31-01-2020, 04:12 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
In memory of playing Sheffield United tomorrow, there were a couple of crackers in the 5-1 game many many years ago (early 70's?).

Yogi Hughes and John McCormick to name a couple.
Old 31-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Tumescent member

Cityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
2:21

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Don Rogers. Genius.
Old 31-01-2020, 05:25 PM

Dave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityside View Post
Don Rogers. Genius.
I think his second goal against m u was better. Ran around Stepney ball one side him the other. Not sure if the same season
Old 31-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best goal ever by a Palace player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
Staunton from the halfway line is surely worth a mention

Post 8 .Great goal.
Old 31-01-2020, 05:52 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityside View Post
Don Rogers. Genius.
Superb, what a player he was for us.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Registered Useless

charltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
In memory of playing Sheffield United tomorrow, there were a couple of crackers in the 5-1 game many many years ago (early 70's?).

Yogi Hughes and John McCormick to name a couple.
Forgot how good Ambrose's goal against them was until I saw the clip on twitter earlier today.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:01 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
To define my choices:

Best team goal : Jim Cannon v Ipswich
Best long-range strike : Darren Ambrose v Moan U
Best (most important) goal : Dougie at Stockport.
Best Individual Goal : Don Rogers 1st v Moan U 1972.

Overall choice - Don Rogers
Old 02-02-2020, 12:17 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
I think his second goal against m u was better. Ran around Stepney ball one side him the other. Not sure if the same season
Yep, he out Pele’d Pele, who did the same but missed.