Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
I am not sure on legal terminology but I understand that today's legal ruling in Scotland will be presented together with the appeal from the the Miller case to the supreme court.
And there's a Northern Ireland case too, I think.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
And there's a Northern Ireland case too, I think.
That is not about prorogation is it?

That one is about the effects a a no-deal Brexit in NI i think.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
This is all going down well in the DM comments.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Again I wonder how wise it was of the Conservative party, at this juncture, to choose a leader whose most famous characteristic is his propensity for lying.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
It's great to see the Justice Secretary (unlike Liz Truss when she was in that role) immediately supporting the judiciary. He has tweeted:

"Our judges are renowned around the world for their excellence and impartiality and I have total confidence in their independence in every case."

(Having met both Buckland and Truss, I can't say I'm surprised about their different responses.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 AM

CJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This case now has resonance with the origins of Parliaments dispute with Charles I when he invoked the royal prerogative to prorogue Parliament without valid reason which eventually resulted in the English Civil War. After the restoration the exercise of the Royal Prerogative was enforced by the Prime Minister through Parliament and the direct powers of the monarchy were reduced.
The rules of Parliament and Common Law have since been based on precedent so that the usual practice is to prerogue Parliament for a few days before a new sitting to approve a new agenda of legislation introduced by a monarch's speech. Any longer interval would require either a national emergency or some specific explanation.

Johnson has clearly acted to stop Parliament from changing the usual practice of voting to suspend the sitting for the conference season and deciding, as was expected, to allow 3 weeks extra foe discussion of Brexit matters. The length of the prorogation was clearly unusual as Parliament could have even returned on 3rd October and Johnson has provided no valid reason in either Parliamentary or legal precedence.

I suspect that the opening of Parliament will now be performed by Prince Charles to avoid any political embarassment to The Queen.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:55 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ PLUM View Post
This case now has resonance with the origins of Parliaments dispute with Charles I when he invoked the royal prerogative to prorogue Parliament without valid reason which eventually resulted in the English Civil War. After the restoration the exercise of the Royal Prerogative was enforced by the Prime Minister through Parliament and the direct powers of the monarchy were reduced.
The rules of Parliament and Common Law have since been based on precedent so that the usual practice is to prerogue Parliament for a few days before a new sitting to approve a new agenda of legislation introduced by a monarch's speech. Any longer interval would require either a national emergency or some specific explanation.

Johnson has clearly acted to stop Parliament from changing the usual practice of voting to suspend the sitting for the conference season and deciding, as was expected, to allow 3 weeks extra foe discussion of Brexit matters. The length of the prorogation was clearly unusual as Parliament could have even returned on 3rd October and Johnson has provided no valid reason in either Parliamentary or legal precedence.

I suspect that the opening of Parliament will now be performed by Prince Charles to avoid any political embarassment to The Queen.
If he recalled Parliament and they were to sit tomorrow, then one of the motions they would be discussing is the conference recess which would usually start from the end of tomorrow through to 7th or 8th October.

We have heard lots from the opposition parties about agreeing to pass legislation around no deal, about not agreeing to an early General Election etc. However i have no seen, and would welcome someone point out if it has happened, a communication that Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, IGfC, PC have all agreed to remove the conference recess and sit for that 3 week period.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
If he recalled Parliament and they were to sit tomorrow, then one of the motions they would be discussing is the conference recess which would usually start from the end of tomorrow through to 7th or 8th October.

We have heard lots from the opposition parties about agreeing to pass legislation around no deal, about not agreeing to an early General Election etc. However i have no seen, and would welcome someone point out if it has happened, a communication that Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, IGfC, PC have all agreed to remove the conference recess and sit for that 3 week period.
One thing I read was that prorogation stops ALL parliamentary business. The conference season does not. i.e. that parliamentary committees etc can continue working during the conference season.
However, given the gravity of the situation you would think they might think about delaying the conferences until after Oct 31st. Although, I also heard that to cancel or delay the conferences requires all parties to agree and I guess it's unlikely the Tories will agree.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat05 View Post
Scottish court...**** me, the world truly has gone fukkin mental.
Part of the UK, which Parliament applies UK law to, and this is UK law. Sorry if this is news to you Little Englander
Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:

Its is Parliament's choice
Old 11-09-2019, 12:26 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
The new home secretary, Priti Patel, has said she wants criminals to "literally feel terror" at the thought of breaking the law.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM

CJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Most political commentators expected Parliament to vote to not suspend the sitting for the conference season when it returned after the summer recess. Johnson invoked the prorogation before Parliament was able to vote to take control and thus negated any such potential agreement amongst the parties. However, tHey were hardly likely to announce their tactics well in advance. We can assume that all those who voted to take control of parliamentary business would also have voted for a continuation of Parliament.

The Conservative Conference finishes on 2nd October so they could have possibly then returned to Westminster on 3rd October.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:36 PM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ PLUM View Post

It’s been quite 17th C for a while now but this ruling makes it even more so; people often forget that the English Civil War started in Scotland after rioting broke out over Charles’s imposition of an - allegedly popish - Scottish book of common prayer. Jenny Geddes chucked her stool at the archbishop and all that

Walter Benjamin
Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
ASAP
Old 11-09-2019, 12:48 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foetus eagle View Post
I have no time for some of the idiots that post in the Daily Mail but tbf the paper does allow you to comment if you disagree with them or want to make fun of the right wingers.

The Guardian on the other hand does not allow criticism of some of the views contained in the paper. They will quite quickly restrict your comments.
"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct."
EE site palacecomrades com
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
Old 11-09-2019, 12:50 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapham Rover View Post
It’s been quite 17th C for a while now but this ruling makes it even more so; people often forget that the English Civil War started in Scotland after rioting broke out over Charles’s imposition of an - allegedly popish - Scottish book of common prayer. Jenny Geddes chucked her stool at the archbishop and all that
Are you sure it wasn't when Archie Bishop told Jenny, "Geddes a whisky" and she broke a stool over his head?
"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct."
EE site palacecomrades com
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 PM
handwringing islamofacist

Clapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Rover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by evvo111 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't when Archie Bishop told Jenny, "Geddes a whisky" and she broke a stool over his head?
Whatever happened it was well Scottish. I always forget the full narrative but didn’t Charles 1 piss everyone off by taking his hat off in St Mungos? PAPIST!

Walter Benjamin
Old 11-09-2019, 01:03 PM

13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine13thsasquatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by foetus eagle View Post

I love the 'will of the people' one.

It was an advisory referendum, so yes, it would be entirely lawful to ignore it.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:12 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Again I wonder how wise it was of the Conservative party, at this juncture, to choose a leader whose most famous characteristic is his propensity for lying.
And by a landslide too. The Tory party has done more damage to itself in the last few years, than Labour and the left managed in a centuary.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Interesting from David Allen Green...

Johnson forced to resign due to lying to the Queen... who gets to be the new PM? The Tories no longer have any sort of majority, with or without the DUP