Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 05-05-2021, 02:57 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
broke into the England team and played in some crappy friendlies in Australia, New zealand etc he was the only positive from that tour.

That was the end of Geoff Thomas's Eng career unfortunately, open goal, put it over from 2 yards out.
If you're referring to the "famous" miss by GT, which effectively ended his England career, it was against France at Wembley (not away on the Australia/NZ/Malaysia tour), it wasn't an open goal (as the GK was there), and he put it about 15 yards wide (not over) from about 25 yards out (not 2 yards). To view the link you have to Register or Login

Unless there's another miss which ended his England career, of course, in which case as you were.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Kevin Mabbut.
Was my first thought, followed by Dave Madden. Mabbutt was pretty much the only bright light in an otherwise very dark period.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:13 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
Some good calls.

Salako, I know he played a lot before he did his knee but I always remember just before it happened he broke into the England team and played in some crappy friendlies in Australia, New zealand etc he was the only positive from that tour.
Always remember Salako injuring his knee on that tour after he collided with a goal post. Often wondered whether that was a contributing factor in his knee buckling the way it did a couple of months later.

I think I’ve still got the video clip somewhere of the horrific footage of his knee extending sideways. It’s a bloody hard watch and haven’t gone back to ever look at it for obvious reasons. Saint & Greavsie actually played it and was seen by our lads as they tucked into their pre match meal. Coppell was furious as he felt that contributed to our poor performance, losing 4-1 at Sheff Wed as it psychologically damaged the players to see it.

I was actually stood right in front of Salako when the incident happened against Leeds, going up for the header. Didn’t see what had happened at the time and thought he may have fallen awkwardly and torn ligaments in his ankle or knee. The slow motion footage is horrific and still makes me squirm to recall it.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 05-05-2021, 03:40 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Found this interesting interview with Mabbutt about his time at Bristol City. Refers to Palace very briefly at about 19:40

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 05-05-2021, 06:20 AM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If you're referring to the "famous" miss by GT, which effectively ended his England career, it was against France at Wembley (not away on the Australia/NZ/Malaysia tour), it wasn't an open goal (as the GK was there), and he put it about 15 yards wide (not over) from about 25 yards out (not 2 yards). To view the link you have to Register or Login

Unless there's another miss which ended his England career, of course, in which case as you were.
Oh yeah you're right but I do have an image in my head of GT putting it over from a couple of yards out, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 AM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Elwiss is the one for me...he was so good... it was a gutter.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:34 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Andy Barnes.
Signed from Sutton Utd for £70,000 in September 1991, on Reserve team debut within days of signing crocked his knee when heading a goal against Arsenal Reserves (CP won 5-1) in 65th minute. I believe this was the same time as John Salako.

Made his first team debut as substitute at QPR on last day of season 2nd May 1992 but then had to be substituted himself and that was that.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:43 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Alex Marrow and the bloke Hunt from Huddersfield,
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Jack Hunt. Signed Sep-13, broke his ankle a week later & never played for us.

Ha! KM beat me to it by one post.....
Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 AM

EnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnglandEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Always remember Salako injuring his knee on that tour after he collided with a goal post. Often wondered whether that was a contributing factor in his knee buckling the way it did a couple of months later.
He hit the post in the first half of a game against Germany at Wembley. I always had it in my mind that they were connected, but seeing as he played on well into the second half and then the leeds game was three weeks later I'm not so sure now.

To view the link you have to Register or Login (1:33)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:26 AM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Hmm...reading through this thread it looks as though I have seriously mixed up my recollections of the Mabbutt and Salako injuries.
Great memories...but I've forgotten them all, it seems.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Fay Wray

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufan View Post
The late, great Ray "Butch" Wilkins. Surely statistically the least successful Palace career in the modern era. But who knows how things might have turned out if he'd lasted much more than half of his Selhurst Park debut in that 1-6 defeat by Liverpool.
A young Robbie Fowler scored a hat-trick, if I remember correctly. He was doing a 'playing golf' celebration in front on his bench, so I always assumed that he was on a bonus of gold clubs, or a golf holiday or something
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 AM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login)
Old 05-05-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglandEagle View Post
He hit the post in the first half of a game against Germany at Wembley. I always had it in my mind that they were connected, but seeing as he played on well into the second half and then the leeds game was three weeks later I'm not so sure now.

To view the link you have to Register or Login (1:33)
Ah I stand corrected - it wasn’t on the Aussie tour.

- John Peel
Old 05-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Was looking back at the records to see how Mabbutt’s appearances went with us and was surprised to see what a great start he had with us.

He joined us for the 81/82 season, just after relegation. Made his debut on Oct 31st and was an ever present league and cup until the following season into late November scoring 16 goals, where the game in that famous televised Wolves 3-4 match, was his last for 5 months.

Returned in April just in the nick of time to just keep us up. The following season he was out injured until December. Got injured again in February only to return again to lift us away from the relegation zone in the final 5 games.

Wiki doesn’t verify it but I’m pretty sure he went on to play for a club and in Cyprus after that.

Coppell arrived and again Mabbutt missed the start of the season. Didn’t see him until Boxing Day, only making 3 starts and 5 off the bench. His final game for us was March 30th in a 1-3 home defeat against Sheff U.

- John Peel
Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Homburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHomburg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine lucas View Post
Elwiss is the one for me...he was so good... it was a gutter.
Elwiss gets my vote too. Still rankles me what might have been.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:22 PM

wawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nicola Ventola - injured for most the season comes back with two games to go and scores that epic goal against soton.

Would love to have seen what happened if we had him fit for the season
Old 05-05-2021, 12:25 PM

wawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loic Remy was another what could’ve been