Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Well, I canít speak for what might happen in a hundred years, but I do know we live in a global economy now and the U.K. is a considerably better place to work than most. Your measures, if imposed on businesses that have to be competitive, would result in loss of that competitiveness and orders simply going elsewhere.

Maybe we have reached the peak? We probably reached the peak in this generation when many people could retire before/at 60.

Forgive me but it sounds like you really hate what you do. Iíd look at that and what you can personally change to improve that situation (be it moving, retraining etc). Donít wait in hope that govt or society will somehow change your circumstances.
So despite huge increases in wealth and GDP, you think humanity has reached its peak? Despite all the massive technological advances in the last 20 years that would be far more than probably the last 2000 in terms of their scope?

I actually enjoy my job, but not as much as I like my leisure time and spending time with loved ones.

But itís not about me. A lot of people do very draining jobs which often they donít enjoy. I find it depressing that you think everything now is the pinnacle of where humanity can get to.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Don’t think he said that mate…

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Donít think he said that mateÖ
I probably did generalise but he did seem to be saying we had reached a peak of both lower retirement ages and working hours/days.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
We may well have for the foreseeable future or we may not have. There are arguments either way.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:23 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
So despite huge increases in wealth and GDP, you think humanity has reached its peak? Despite all the massive technological advances in the last 20 years that would be far more than probably the last 2000 in terms of their scope?

I actually enjoy my job, but not as much as I like my leisure time and spending time with loved ones.

But itís not about me. A lot of people do very draining jobs which often they donít enjoy. I find it depressing that you think everything now is the pinnacle of where humanity can get to.
OK, white flag from me.

You keep misunderstanding me, what 4-day working week means and putting words in my mouth that do not reflect what Iíve written at all.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
The graph shows, in 18 years, a 0.8 change for men and a 0.1 change for women. That’s an average of about 5-50 mins difference across a week.

Not sure what the hand wringing by some on this thread is about?
It is half an hour a week since 2009, 26 hours or three days of work in a year. I think that is quite a bit, especially considering the advances in technology in so many industries.

Last edited by chelmsfordeagle; 11-09-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:21 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well, I can’t speak for what might happen in a hundred years, but I do know we live in a global economy now and the U.K. is a considerably better place to work than most. Your measures, if imposed on businesses that have to be competitive, would result in loss of that competitiveness and orders simply going elsewhere.

Maybe we have reached the peak? We probably reached the peak in this generation when many people could retire before/at 60.

Forgive me but it sounds like you really hate what you do. I’d look at that and what you can personally change to improve that situation (be it moving, retraining etc). Don’t wait in hope that govt or society will somehow change your circumstances.
Would it? Plenty of countries have a shorter working week and manage to be competitive and in some cases more productive. Is the goal to squeeze the absolute most out of people? Because the UK is a good place to work does that mean things should not be improved?

Last edited by chelmsfordeagle; 11-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelmsfordeagle View Post
Is the goal to squeeze the absolute most out of people?
Goals will change according to business type, industry, management and owners.

One of the fundamental errors underlying this whole thread is to view all employers (and possibly employees) as being the same.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Would it? Plenty of countries have a shorter working week and manage to be competitive and in some cases more productive. Is the goal to squeeze the absolute most out of people? Because the UK is a good place to work does that mean things should not be improved?
They are still reassessing the UK productivity. We’ve been overcounting working hours.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Regardless how many hours we have been working now or 10 years ago fundamentally, is a human being realising it’s potential spending the majority of their life working, sacrificing time spent on other activities? Readdressing a balance to work/life is an important question.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Regardless how many hours we have been working now or 10 years ago fundamentally, is a human being realising itís potential spending the majority of their life working, sacrificing time spent on other activities? Readdressing a balance to work/life is an important question.
You mean working less allows for more time realising your potential on the BBS?

I would suggest that 99.5% of the global population do not realise their potential, working or not.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 AM
moist

Quote:
Goals will change according to business type, industry, management and owners.

One of the fundamental errors underlying this whole thread is to view all employers (and possibly employees) as being the same.
I wouldn't say it is an error, just that we are talking in general terms, which is natural. You have been negative to this idea, probably because you feel you would be financial hit by it. Equally I like it because I wouldn't be. That is human nature. Of course there would need to be adjustments and variation, just as there is now, where most people work a 5 day working week. I don't that everyone being viewed the same is a reason not to change to a 4 day working week as a standard.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
I wouldn't say it is an error, just that we are talking in general terms, which is natural. You have been negative to this idea, probably because you feel you would be financial hit by it. .
That's a fairly facile thing to say. I vote for many things that might financially hit me : ao I guess I might be contradicting your vast generalisation (another) that people are always and universally motivated by self-interest.

But I probably wouldn't be hit by it ; but due to higher employment costs I might well employ less people, and provide fewer job opportunities.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-09-2019, 09:01 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post

Though we do need to start setting a precident that technology should not be utilised to render people 'poorer', but society as a whole richer. There are a few theoretical technologies coming down the line that could effectively be 'game changers' on a scale with industrialisation (AI, Genetic Engineering and 'Nanotechnologies').

If we approch these in the same way we did with industrialistation and automation, as a means of maximising profit, but not dealing with the reduction in work force, we'll face significant social turmoil.

The end result of such technologies should be to create a more leisured society, otherwise we tend to blunder into periods of massive social unrest caused by great disparity being unregulated.

Its vital we avoid doing to the working classes of the UK (and world) what has happened in the past with Automation, Off Shoring, Industrialisation etc.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Its vital we avoid doing to the working classes of the UK (and world) what has happened in the past with Automation, Off Shoring, Industrialisation etc.
I don't disagree.

But the cynic in me thinks this is an ideal that will never be realised. All of human history would largely agree with me.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
That's a fairly facile thing to say. I vote for many things that might financially hit me : ao I guess I might be contradicting your vast generalisation (another) that people are always and universally motivated by self-interest.

But I probably wouldn't be hit by it ; but due to higher employment costs I might well employ less people, and provide fewer job opportunities.
This is an often used maxim, but its untrue, people are not motivated by self interest, but often choose self interest. Usually self interest prevails, because the clarity of reward vs risk is very evident.

However self interest decisions also include decisions typically made in the interest of group interest, rather than individuals themselves. for example, I won't make an decision that purely is in my interest, if it doesn't reflect the interest of those close to me (esp if its detrimental to them). This is probably the single biggest motivator in people - and of course it gets defined as self interest, because of the 'no action is truely alutristic' arguement (ie I choose a decision thats in my wifes interest, because fundamentally it benefits me to some degree).

Hence the problem of the self interest arguement, its a self fulfilling on, because its based in biological reductionalism (alturism), which is fine when you're talking about a species, but unreliable when talking about decisions made by individuals.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
They will look after themselves and their family first then worry about others.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree.

But the cynic in me thinks this is an ideal that will never be realised. All of human history would largely agree with me.
I'm not sure all of history reflects this, notably pre-capitalist society concepts of profit and wealth in its own right was not as desirable as a singular moral and ethical justification (quite possibly down to the fact that there was a significant limit on what wealth could provide to an individual) - and the notion of collective greater self interest generally prevailed.

But since industrialisation thats definately been the case, as wealth and profit have become 'moral and ethical' justifications on an increasing basis, especially moving into the 20th centuary.

The good news will be that some of these technologies present a significant risk to the notion of scarcity (nanotechnology) and fundementally offer a means by which value would be rendered meaningless.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Semper Idem

Pre-capitalist models relied on serfs and slaves. Wealth and power were no less desirable.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
The good news will be that some of these technologies present a significant risk to the notion of scarcity (nanotechnology) and fundementally offer a means by which value would be rendered meaningless.
as will the necessity for work.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.