Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 AM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don't think you could classify it as lucky to pull the late deal off. There were probably other options out there but we only wanted to do deals that suited us on reasonable terms. We would of made our interest known earlier but we were the ones to go for it when the opportunity arose.

This is why most of the transactions happen so late in the window when the clubs want to make the deals go through instead of holding onto the players.

Think Roy was happy with Sako for more options up front but Batman was the icing on the cake and the deal was good for all parties.

Bearing in mind our wage bill/finances we were never really in the running to spend big in January just in for a Loan or free agents.

A better way of doing things on our terms rather than desperation terms.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:43 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodeagle View Post
Of current EPL clubs , the model at Southampton looks to be where Palace aim to be. A welll established, highly regarded and productive academy allied to recruitment of experienced players in the market. A ground with c30,000 capacity and an accessible catchment area.
Don't you mean "violent clogging thugs and cheats who bribe referees, try to injure your players and then goad them into getting done for dissent"?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM

Optimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOptimistic Kev came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
So where all these unknown players that Doug is so good at scouting? Or does Jach sum up his real ability?

Dougie never scouted Jach.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:16 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post

This window was a massive success. We cleared out players who were on the fringes of the team and used the savings from their wages to bring in a striker who potentially and hopefully will make a significant difference. I don't think there was any point in bringing in Sako but it's cover for multiple positions so it's not disastrous, as well as being only for six months.

The club needs a plan which doesn't involve consistently buying the finished product at £100k+ a week, because otherwise it will be hamstrung as it was in the summer (but again, didn't do too badly with transfers, Meyer and Guaita on bosman free transfers worked out well) and this window. Spending significant money on wages for players like Benteke and Sakho is high risk, because as you see with Benteke, he is not performing and we don't currently appear to be able to shift him unless someone with money to burn comes along.

There have been desperation panic signings in prior windows, but if this and the last window are telling of a new way of operating, then Parish will have been part of that, and the recruitment set-up as a whole do warrant appreciation and credit. But we know that Parish likes to sign players *he* likes, and not necessarily players that we need.
You make some interesting points.

I agree that this window has been a massive success, clearing out deadwood and bringing in a striker with a good pedigree, even if he is only on loan. The previous window was good in terms of not spending much money and adding depth to the squad. And I understand the constraints of FFP and STCC. However whilst we are now in a brilliant place, with a core group of about 15 players of the required standard there still is more work to be done. The transfer window of the summer in itself took us backwards (losing RLC and Cabaye and failing to replace them).

Our first XI is still weaker than it was at the end of last season. However if the 3 year cycle restarts in the summer then we can finally assemble the squad we need. I agree that there are only so many experienced players that we can afford to have on 100k a week, but I'm not sad that we signed the likes of Cabaye, Sakho or even Benteke. They have all taken us forwards and Benteke's goals helped keep us up in his first season here, which in effect makes him a success despite his below-par showing last season. Sure, our wage bill is high, and we should now revert to signing top class young talent, but that doesn't make some of the more expensive acquisitions a mistake. I don't yearn for Benteke to be sold because I think he will still contribute in future years. I don't yearn for Sakho to be sold because he does give us the ability to pass it out from the back and he's a fine defender. It's about keeping the balance between experienced players that we have, and younger players that we need.

I had hoped the transfer window of last summer would enable us to challenge for 7th or 8th place, and I was disappointed. Now knowing the financial constraints we were under I understand why it happened, but I still hope the transfer window of summer 2019 will include young talent that we don't have to take a risk with; the likes of RLC and Billing rather than rough diamonds like Maddison and Brooks who haven't proven themselves in the EPL that may or may not work out (they can come later). 2 or 3 first XI signings and we can kick on to the level I believe we are capable of getting to with the likes of Zaha in our ranks. Big summer coming up.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Steve was on Gary Crowley's "my London" today. Was a bit shocked when I tuned in for it (as i regularly do).

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dogers View Post
I never slagged him off? He has as I and countless others have said did wonders to save the club but our scouting and transfer policy in not investing in up and coming players and letting us get in the position we have been in where we couldnít invest in the team after all these top flight seasons is questionable.

I will be there for Fulham as I would have been even if MB had gone elsewhere
Did you have a humble pie at the match today?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
You donít think it was fortunate getting a call at 9pm on transfer deadline day being offered a player on desperation terms from Chelsea? Yes, we did very well in closing the deal, although it sounded like they wanted it to happen more than us, but my main worry was that the board thought or transfer window was ok up until about 9pm
Alls of steal and great negotiation Iíd say.

I like that we are not getting a reputation for. Ding rolled over .. like Niases agent tried on deadline day.

After RLC success, players want to come, want to play, want to make a difference.

We look like a quality option but only on our (fair) terms.

We have built a very strong squad. Some people either just love to moan or live in la la land re finnancial matters, negotiations and how modern football works.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Ron Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Not was cashless
Old 03-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
If the food franchises had a glimmer of imagination, they would sell real (meat filled) 'humble pies' - they would be an instant hit, and probably soon spread to other clubs.
The Fulham boards are full of suicidal supporters today.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:35 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I think we have possibly the strongest squad I have ever seen at Palace.

I just don't get the complaints about the last two windows.

We have signed Meyer, Guita, Sako and Kouyate for a combined fee of 10 million and shifted 7 non-playing earners off the wage bill.

We now have 20 players more than capable of playing. Suddenly our bench looks really strong, both with cover and potential game changers.

Dann couldn't even make the bench could you imagine that a few seasons ago?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Ron Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post

We have signed Meyer, Guita, Sako and Kouyate for a combined fee of 10 million and shifted 7 non-playing earners off the wage bill.

We now have 20 players more than capable of playing. Suddenly our bench looks really strong, both with cover and potential game changers.

Well firstly we have a history of less than great transfer activity with no up and coming players with resale value arriving and us not having the money to buy players needed due to previous poor transfer activity.

We started the season again without a fit and firing on all cylinders striker and inadequate cover, having lost 2 major midfielders with replacements the jury's still out on (although CT does look the part) and with 2 hours to go were in exactly the same position.

Apparently our main striker choice in early January after months of scouting wasn't fit enough to be signed.

If SP hadn't got that call with 2 hours to go we would had another totally awful window. That's past now, we got the call and Chelsea came to the rescue so lets just hopefully enjoy whats left of the season and see how we progress in the Summer.

We will again have had DF IM (MB?) and whoever beavering away and without the FFP stuff that only seems to affect CPFC alone restricting us so badly so I'm sure we will be able to cover any gaps n the squad and sign some players with potential to excite us and balance the books.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Yogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is it really us restricted by FFP. This window, we saw most clubs apart from Bournemouth being very cautious? Even Everton said they needed to move players out before they could bring anyone else in.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well firstly we have a history of less than great transfer activity with no up and coming players with resale value arriving and us not having the money to buy players needed due to previous poor transfer activity.

We started the season again without a fit and firing on all cylinders striker and inadequate cover, having lost 2 major midfielders with replacements the jury's still out on (although CT does look the part) and with 2 hours to go were in exactly the same position.

Apparently our main striker choice in early January after months of scouting wasn't fit enough to be signed.

If SP hadn't got that call with 2 hours to go we would had another totally awful window. That's past now, we got the call and Chelsea came to the rescue so lets just hopefully enjoy whats left of the season and see how we progress in the Summer.

We will again have had DF IM (MB?) and whoever beavering away and without the FFP stuff that only seems to affect CPFC alone restricting us so badly so I'm sure we will be able to cover any gaps n the squad and sign some players with potential to excite us and balance the books.
Humble pie for lunch followed by a game of clutching at straws?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post

I think we've done a brilliant job in the last two windows. We have finally balanced the squad and done it on a very tight budget. Of course Michy is only a loan so that position will still need addressing in the summer. But despite it being a struggle on the pitch I think we have still made progress from last season.

These last two windows look much better thought out to me than previous ones. That is a credit to SP, the recruitment and management.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 04-02-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong AWB came through the Academy and is attracting interest from the big clubs, therefore would command a high fee. This totally blows your argument and Kirby is on the way to break through.

We had registered an interest in Batshuayi with Chelsea earlier, thatís why they came knocking.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:40 AM

bodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodeagle View Post
Of current EPL clubs , the model at Southampton looks to be where Palace aim to be. A welll established, highly regarded and productive academy allied to recruitment of experienced players in the market. A ground with c30,000 capacity and an accessible catchment area.
At present our academy is some way off producing the number of players capable of making the first team. Once developed it will be seen as a tier one choice. We now face competition from not just the London clubs but also Brighton and Southampton.
Ultimately the academy must make a return on the investment and that comes from players in the first team and sales to top clubs.
Selling their best players and fighting relegation every season is ok for the club not good for their fans. Remember when Charlton were the team to be then one bad season and its all down hill same as Norwich Stoke ect ect. The big clubs buy success the rest buy survival and a dream Leicester have shown the dream can come true.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 PM

carter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is here
Hope Iím wrong but think he will have a massive job to do in the summer. Think itís gonna be a big rebuilding job. I can see the club cashing in on Sakho, Zaha wanting to leave and if City show genuine interest in Wan-Bissaka then heíll be off. 3 of our best players gone. Weíd receive around £120M for the three of them but worries me how we will use it. Definitely wouldnít find better replacements.

Currently the best squad weíve ever had in the Premier League no doubt but I have a horrible feeling itís gonna get torn apart in the summer
Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM

foresthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is here
After all the decisions Parish has made, and not knowing how they were formulated,.....he is either the luckiest guy around, else he knows his stuff.
OK, the guy already had gazillions in the bank before CPFC2010 took over, but the football world is very different to most business models.
Time and time again, he manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the last moment. And I keep thinking,.."this has got to blow up in his face sometime"

But fair play to the guy,...I wouldn't want to play him at Poker
Old 04-02-2019, 02:51 PM

The Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
There was an element of good fortune, but you also make your own luck. We’d obviously been in touch with Chelsea before Thursday to express an interest, they didn’t just put names in a hat and draw us out; we’d done a bit of squad clearance so that we could take him & afford what we’ll have to pay; and probably the way RLC developed and was treated here had a positive effect. If he’s going to get slagged for things happening at the last minute to stop deals (clubs pulling out, agents introducing additional fees etc) then it’s probably only right that he gets some credit when things fall into place for him.
Yes, SP and all supporters came up trumps on this occasion...SP knows how to draw to an inside straight

Last edited by The Vicar; 04-02-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:02 PM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
After all the decisions Parish has made, and not knowing how they were formulated,.....he is either the luckiest guy around, else he knows his stuff.
OK, the guy already had gazillions in the bank before CPFC2010 took over, but the football world is very different to most business models.
Time and time again, he manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the last moment. And I keep thinking,.."this has got to blow up in his face sometime"

But fair play to the guy,...I wouldn't want to play him at Poker
It sounds unbelievably lucky to get a call late on deadline day asking us if we want Batshuayi for less than they were demanding from Spurs or West Ham. That said, Chelsea obviously like us because we have taken (and paid the wages of) some complete tarts (Bamford and Remy) and taken RLC and got him into the England team whilst he was with us. Is that all to Parish's credit? Maybe.