Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 22-02-2019, 10:12 AM

stumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstumpy feelers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Parish knows the E400 are going to end up in a far worse position, which is why he won't meet us.

As for 91 - we had a brilliant Christmas, beating Man City, Sunderland and Liverpool. It was January where we lost ground; losing two of our three league matches.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Apologies yes, Coventry away was our worst performance that season. Brian Kilkline turned into Roberto Carlos that day lol
Old 22-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Killer always played well against us..
Old 22-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
The Liverpool home victory was definitely the high point of the season. I really started to think were genuine title contenders.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 22-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
*controversy klaxon*

1990/91 season - the football was mostly dire. Results were achieved through massive use of the long ball game and our sheer physical prowess. The Ugly Game.

Many a time I was on The Whitehorse Terrace thinking the atmosphere is awful, the football shIte but there's another 3 points in the bag.

I found it insufferable because we had seven or eight rather splendid footballers, really really good players, who would have coped easily with a passing game or hit them on the break tactics but they spent most of the time looking to the sky to see where the ball was heading.

Average gate of 19,500 for a team coming third when capacity was 29000 and ticket prices very good. A clue there as to the entertainment value on offer.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 22-02-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:11 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
It does seem strange that 90/91 was our most successful ever season and yet the attendances were not full week in week out. I don't know the reason behind this as the value for money was a lot better then (I would have thought) - Makes you wonder whether the Sky Premier League build up and mass media circus has actually improved the profile of football where more want to come now. Would be interesting to see all Prem club attendances then (well div 1) and now.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It was hard going. We had a formula that worked for results, but it was often a grind.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
It does seem strange that 90/91 was our most successful ever season and yet the attendances were not full week in week out. I don't know the reason behind this as the value for money was a lot better then (I would have thought) - Makes you wonder whether the Sky Premier League build up and mass media circus has actually improved the profile of football where more want to come now. Would be interesting to see all Prem club attendances then (well div 1) and now.
Tbf we were only averaging 10,000 in the division lower three seasons earlier so 19,500 is relatively good - a lot more away fans to help that rise- but back then a lot of Palace fans demanded and wanted entertainment to go with results and the long ball game was bloody boring and so predictable that plenty just couldn't be arsed and I don't blame them. It didn't matter that we were third.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:28 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
The reason for this was Ian Wright because he was so good. Boot it anywhere and he would most likely get to it first and you had confidence he would scare no matter when he got the ball on the pitch! Incredible player at the time, his finishing, of all types, was amazing... long, short.., both feet abs head. This is why many suggest he is our best ever, even against the raw talent of say Wilf or Lombardo.

This is why Wright was impossible to replace. Gabbiadini was a great player but was just never going to match Wright. I spoke often to Stan Collymore at that time who was frustrated... as they were training him to be a winger or be a ‘big man’ ie Mark Bright flick on guy as he was 6’4” . He said all he wanted was the ball into feet in the centre circle... so the Stan at Forest showed us.

So yes the style was ugly, yes many fans moaned.. but for me it was so exciting.. like no other time I can remember, I just thought we could win any game.

So back to my question.,

Noades, third, FA Cup final, ZDS winners and that style of footy or SPs long stint in premier, 2(!) FA Cup finals and nice football the best ever?

If not best ever (on the pitch, park off pitch comments for now) what more must Palace achieve to be considered the most successful on the pitch.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Kentish Eagle

winners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwinners came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
i don't think a lot of division 1(old) teams sold out during that time, I remember old Trafford being 3/4 full, getting seats in the arsenal end along with a few hundred other palace (Think we won 2-0 at highbury), plus that was a good average for palace concidering how quickly it came about after promotion.

This was a time when Carlton Palmer played midfield for England, Tony Dorigo, David Batty, Tony Daley, Neil Webb also played, so when saying that's the best Palace side ever, yes, in terms of where they finished in the top division, but the level of players just wasn't about back then, and there were very few overseas players due to European ban etc.

wage explosions, full stadiums, the general popularity of football did indeed explode when SKY came about & the premiership was formed. the fireworks, sky cheerleeders, buildups on TV, and the general quality of the broadcasts bought football to a whole new audience, who lapped it up.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
This is a little misleading, attendances were generally lower back then. Chelsea averaged 21,000 in that season according to Transfer Market, Everton 27,000.

The football wasn't scintillating admittedly but equally it wasn't dire apart from on a handful of occasions (a dreadful 0-0 home draw with QPR has stuck in my memory for all the wrong reasons). I recall a fantastic early season game against Wimbledon, the Liverpool game where we went toe to toe with them and came out on too and the easy win against Man Utd (who had rotated a few players) as a few examples. On the road there were hugely enjoyable wins at Maine Road, The Dell and Loftus Road to name but three.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Also strange that it was comparatively cheap to go back then.

I got in free as a programme seller, but it was under a tenner a game to stand.
Old 22-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
This is a little misleading, attendances were generally lower back then. Chelsea averaged 21,000 in that season according to Transfer Market, Everton 27,000.

The football wasn't scintillating admittedly but equally it wasn't dire apart from on a handful of occasions (a dreadful 0-0 home draw with QPR has stuck in my memory for all the wrong reasons). I recall a fantastic early season game against Wimbledon, the Liverpool game where we went toe to toe with them and came out on too and the easy win against Man Utd (who had rotated a few players) as a few examples. On the road there were hugely enjoyable wins at Maine Road, The Dell and Loftus Road to name but three.
A freezing cold game against the queenies, in weird orange shirts and perhaps an orange ball game.

March and April hurt, our squad was rather thin
Old 22-02-2019, 05:49 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Easy one

Football wasn't fashionable

Look at the 'top' teams, they weren't selling out week in week out
Old 22-02-2019, 05:58 PM

The Prawn Sandwich masses hadn't yet been convinced to part with their hard earned in 1991. But football was on an upward curve and had been since a few months earlier with Gazza and The World Cup and financially and crowds wise has been ever since.

Noades fvcked up big time by not seeing where The Prem was headed after Murdoch brought in Sky and he instead decided to try to run the club parsimoniously still and unfortunately let our better players go and replaced them with cack. We should have been top 6 for a number of seasons from 1991 but the ambition and foresight were not there even with TV money being offered on a plate for the that stayed in the top division.

20 months after coming third we were relegated.
Old 22-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Keeping The Faith

Mortimer
Bodin
Sinnott
Patterson
Witter
Williams

We spent peanuts and got monkeys..
Old 22-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
Mortimer
Bodin
Sinnott
Patterson
Witter
Williams

We spent peanuts and got monkeys..
Worse still was that Chris Waddle was available that summer for around £1m and we needed another winger.

I think the attendances affected Noades financial mindset but also the success happened so quickly we simply weren't ready as a club. Those signings were awful though.
Old 22-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
The Prawn Sandwich masses hadn't yet been convinced to part with their hard earned in 1991. But football was on an upward curve and had been since a few months earlier with Gazza and The World Cup and financially and crowds wise has been ever since.

Noades fvcked up big time by not seeing where The Prem was headed after Murdoch brought in Sky and he instead decided to try to run the club parsimoniously still and unfortunately let our better players go and replaced them with cack. We should have been top 6 for a number of seasons from 1991 but the ambition and foresight were not there even with TV money being offered on a plate for the that stayed in the top division.

20 months after coming third we were relegated.
Interesting about Noades. It seems like we're still feeling the effects of his reign even today and will continue to for a long time to come.
Old 22-02-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They weren't throwing money about then like a drunken sailor ,a lot of fans don't like noades or Jordan and some moan about parish
Personally I quite liked them both,isn't easy to run a football club especially one like ours
Old 22-02-2019, 07:18 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
The reality was that our attendances still hadn’t really recovered from the Mullery debacle, there still wasn’t a great deal of trust in Noades and people still didn’t feel totally safe at football (especially after Hillsborough and Heysel). It’s also fair to say that even in the 70s (and during the team of the 80s era), our attendances fluctuated greatly. As others have pointed out, other than the Burnley game, our really big attendances were usually greatly boosted by many thousands of away supporters and neutrals.
Old 22-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glɑzier View Post
Interesting about Noades. It seems like we're still feeling the effects of his reign even today and will continue to for a long time to come.
Two biggest boobs of the last 40 years..

Bloye selling part of the ground to Sainsbury's

Noades not getting Lady Eldridge, leading to those poxy houses.

Both these things ****ed us right royally to this day