Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by no comment View Post
I get the impression that Gregory is leaving Bromley to go up rather than down, based on positive reports I've seen.
It was Bromley's decision to let him go, but I think he is looking to go to a football league club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
I thought this was a very perceptive and thoughtful piece. So thanks for that
Sounded a bit like the team of the 80s when they were winning FA Youth Cups
What saddened me was your view that few if any might make the first team - sadly I share most of your pessimism in this respect
Thanks, that's very kind of you to say and very much appreciated.

It's important to try to strike the right balance. I wouldn't usually write something substantial about 14/15-year-olds but their achievements and the fact that there are so many talented individuals warranted it.

In terms of making the first team it really depends on whether there's any sort of opportunity provided for them in future. A lot of that depends on where the club is. I think moving to a Cat 1 academy will help, but I don't think it will help these kids as it's likely to be at least three seasons away. It's kids coming into the academy now who will benefit, some of whom are very young and already attracting interest from elsewhere.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

Last edited by Woosie; 11-05-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Norwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNorwich_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
In terms of making the first team it really depends on whether there's any sort of opportunity provided for them in future. A lot of that depends on where the club is. I think moving to a Cat 1 academy will help, but I don't think it will help these kids as it's likely to be at least three seasons away. It's kids coming into the academy now who will benefit, some of whom are very young and already attracting interest from elsewhere.
Is that likely to happen anytime soon? I know that it has been a plan of Parish etc. to make it happen, but, financially and logistically can it happen?

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
Is that likely to happen anytime soon? I know that it has been a plan of Parish etc. to make it happen, but, financially and logistically can it happen?
Unfortunately not. I don't think any work will start until the end of next season as Gambardo is not due to leave until 2020.

They'll probably raze all the buildings and do a purpose-build. So it'll be portakabins for a while.

I don't know how long building will take but assuming it's at least a year then that's 2021. Then you have to actually be audited, so that's probably going to be 2022.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
JBA is the lad whose parents were International class athletes. Very talented. Very laid back. Never really nailed down a specific position. Had spells at full back, wide midfield and attacking midfield.
Allassani has another year left on his Coventry contract. He's on loan at Woking in National League South. Woking play Welling I think in play off final.
Elliott List had a good season at Gillingham. Think he finished 3rd or 4th in fans player of year vote.
He went to my school, put it this way the Dads race at sports day was never fair!

Clinton Morrison.
Old 15-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Jman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Obviously long way to go for the boys in the U15s but there seems to be some potential there. If any are going to make it do you guys think we will struggle to keep hold of them? I know the big boys love hoovering up as much young talent as possible.
Old 15-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Obviously long way to go for the boys in the U15s but there seems to be some potential there. If any are going to make it do you guys think we will struggle to keep hold of them? I know the big boys love hoovering up as much young talent as possible.
Yes absolutely a long, long way to go.

I don't think there will be a problem keeping them. Most of the time they leave around this age before they get scholarships if they're going to go to big clubs.

Most of the kids in this group already have pre-scholarships. Scholars usually get handed out in November so they're at least six months ahead.

Raymond, Bartley, Wells-Morrison, Goodman, Whitworth all have pre-scholars. Mooney was offered one the day he became eligible.

I have an academy story going up in the next few days.

Old 24-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Lewis Bryon has signed a new (one year I think) deal with Palace.

Seeing as the season has now finished and they were told about their scholarships back in November, I think it's fair enough for me to list the players who will be in the U18s next year as first-year scholars.

Noah Watson (LB)
Cameron Jessup (CM)
Deon Woodman (CB)
John-Kymani Gordon (ST/RW/LW)
David Omilabu (ST/RW/RWB)
Rowan Smith (CM)
Kevin Gonzalez (CM)
Kyran Henderson (RW, released by Arsenal)
Jesuran Rak-Sakyi (CF, released by Chelsea)
Daniel Quick (CB)
Cardo Siddik (CB)
Lion Bello (LB)
Ellison Wright (CM)
Aidan Steele (CM)

Personally I feel that is too many scholarships, but football being football that's the way it is these days.

Will be interesting to see what happens next season because the squad was heavy with first-year scholars this year, which means it'll be full of second years next year, and there aren't many gaps in the U23s for players to move up. Bloated.

Old 24-05-2019, 07:21 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
How has Lewis Bryon been doing this season just gone? I haven’t too heard much about him in your reports.
Old 24-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

He's been injured for much of the season (unfortunately I'd say for most of his time at Palace tbh). He's done well when he's played, without being outstanding. I was surprised he got a new deal given his injury problems but I guess the club thinks it's worth taking a chance on him. He's not tall enough to be a CB is the feedback I've heard from a few people (not at the club to be clear)

Old 24-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Woosie. How much is known about the two guys released by Arsenal & Chelsea? Presumably if we've taken them on, when we already have so many in that age group, it's because they offer something the others don't - or is that being too simplistic at that age?
Old 25-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
Woosie. How much is known about the two guys released by Arsenal & Chelsea? Presumably if we've taken them on, when we already have so many in that age group, it's because they offer something the others don't - or is that being too simplistic at that age?
I had never heard of the Chelsea kid until it was mentioned to me that he was joining Palace.

Kyran Henderson is a winger, I've seen him a couple of times and he was alright but I wasn't massively keen. I guess the 18s need a left winger though as Thiselton plays on the right and they haven't really got a left winger.

I don't think it's necessarily because they offer something others don't. I've yet to see anyone come through and succeed at Palace (even in relative terms) having joined at scholarship age.

Jayden Onen (Arsenal) was a victim of his own hype, although he has a pro deal at Brentford now. Will Donkin was alright but has been released, Kit Elliott (both Chelsea) never made an impact and was released.

Levi Lumeka joined from Chelsea but he was about 14 at the time. He has stagnated due to his failed loan.

Old 25-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
I've yet to see anyone come through and succeed at Palace (even in relative terms) having joined at scholarship age.
Thanks for that.

The sentence I've quoted is a worrying one because it suggests we are failing to assess ability when trialing such kids.

How old was Clyne when he came from Spurs?
Old 25-05-2019, 07:12 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
Thanks for that.

The sentence I've quoted is a worrying one because it suggests we are failing to assess ability when trialing such kids.

How old was Clyne when he came from Spurs?
Or maybe the category A academies hoover up the top take by first.
Old 25-05-2019, 07:21 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Lumeka has looked very good in the matches that I have seen him play.

Lumeka has been the development team's top scorer for the past three seasons.

This info was taken from the CPFC website
Old 25-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Or maybe the category A academies hoover up the top take by first.
More to do with the stature of the club and how good their academy is as opposed to necessarily their grading. It is easier for them to recruit though.

But the point Ian is making (based on my post) is that we sign cast offs from the Cat 1 clubs who aren't good enough, and what is the point of that?

Not sure how old Clyne was, but definitely younger than scholarship age.

I've been told that Palace have expanded their academy scouting to focus more on the whole of London rather than just South London. In doing so they've hired more scouts. Wes Awad is back as head of youth development phase recruitment which is U12-U16. He was previously an academy scout, then went to England, but is now back at Palace.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Steve Hetzke is now the head of academy operations/academy performance director.

I don't think Palace have a youth recruitment problem, but I do think there is, every year, an unnecessary fixation in taking on Cat 1 cast-offs where I'd be tempted to fill any gaps by playing players up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Lumeka has looked very good in the matches that I have seen him play.

Lumeka has been the development team's top scorer for the past three seasons.

This info was taken from the CPFC website
I like Levi, and what you say is correct, but he hasn't kicked on from where he was - which led to getting a Premier League debut under Frank de Boer. He's yet to play any meaningful senior football or become part of the first-team squad like Dreher and Mitchell to take two examples. I hope he does push on this coming season though.

Old 25-05-2019, 07:53 PM

hedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethedge end eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Did we sign the Bolton striker?
Old 25-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Matty Argent-Barnes, no we didn't.

Old 26-05-2019, 01:05 AM
Snidey little rat.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I think we should change the title of this thread ti "Ask Woosie."

The BBS - Where Briighton trolls have imaginary lawyers.
Old 26-05-2019, 01:15 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
I think we should change the title of this thread to "Things we should ask Woosie."
^ EFA
Old 26-05-2019, 01:44 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
More to do with the stature of the club and how good their academy is as opposed to necessarily their grading. It is easier for them to recruit though.

But the point Ian is making (based on my post) is that we sign cast offs from the Cat 1 clubs who aren't good enough, and what is the point of that?

Not sure how old Clyne was, but definitely younger than scholarship age.

I've been told that Palace have expanded their academy scouting to focus more on the whole of London rather than just South London. In doing so they've hired more scouts. Wes Awad is back as head of youth development phase recruitment which is U12-U16. He was previously an academy scout, then went to England, but is now back at Palace.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Steve Hetzke is now the head of academy operations/academy performance director.

I don't think Palace have a youth recruitment problem, but I do think there is, every year, an unnecessary fixation in taking on Cat 1 cast-offs where I'd be tempted to fill any gaps by playing players up.

I like Levi, and what you say is correct, but he hasn't kicked on from where he was - which led to getting a Premier League debut under Frank de Boer. He's yet to play any meaningful senior football or become part of the first-team squad like Dreher and Mitchell to take two examples. I hope he does push on this coming season though.
Believe clyne was 14 when we signed him .