Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 25-04-2019, 11:34 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
I get the impression that Roy doesn't like Wickham for some reason. It might just be that he was genuinely pessimistic about his fitness but from a few comments in press conferences and occasions where you'd think Wickham should've played but didn't it seemed like he wasn't in favour.
I was just about to post something similar. Roy wasnít exactly purring with excitement when talking about Wickhamís return. Kind of felt Connorís either rubbed him up the wrong way or that Roy felt that after having that length of time out with injury, he wasnít positive about Connor hitting the ground running as most - and probably the player himself - were speculating.

ďSupporting Palace has a certain cult value Ė like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.Ē
- John Peel
Old 25-04-2019, 11:36 AM

ForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForestGateEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Must move on ALL of the deadwood and free up funds for new fresh blood.
People you describe as "deadwood" will need to be paid off to move on; if everybody else has your views on their abilities. Nobody will pay their current contractual wages to take them off our hands.

Probably worthwhile continuing with their rehab, to see if earlier form can be restored, if the medics think it is pos.
Old 25-04-2019, 01:45 PM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
This is he fit? is he not fit? debate has to end this summer and CW be moved on, which may not be popular to some who still keep insisting he Will come good even after all this time when you can count on One Hand the number of competitive games he has played in the past 3 seasons.
This complete waste of wages needs to end asap, did we not learn our lesson from persisting in keeping on Jonny Williams? until years later having not played for Palace realised the error of our judgement and then finally released him.
Surely this summer is the time when we Must move on ALL of the deadwood and free up funds for new fresh blood.
Not easy moving a player on who's got enougher 14 15 months of a good weekly wage.( a )you got to find a club willing to take a gamble on a player who's injury record the last 4 seasons has not been good b why would the player take a pay cut to go somewhere else when he can ride contract out and sell himself . A ambitious championship club looking for promotion might take a gamble on him boro derby forest ect.
Old 25-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Old Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMH57 View Post
The similarities between Wickham and Carroll :

Both over 6 foot 3. Both bulky centre forwards. Both now playing for London clubs on long well paid contracts , having had their best seasons playing in the North-East. Both have glamour model girlfriends/wives with young families.

Over the past 8 seasons:

Carroll has averaged 19 league appearances with an average of 4.3 goals.
Wickham has averaged 16 league appearances with an average of 3.4 goals

Carroll now to be released by West Ham at the end of his 5 year contract.
Wickham's 5 year contract ending at the end of next season.

We should all have a good idea how this one plays out.
Conor Wickham is 4 years younger than Andy Carroll.
Old 25-04-2019, 02:36 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
Conor Wickham is 4 years younger than Andy Carroll.

...and still has his septum
Old 25-04-2019, 02:58 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
I don't understand how Wickham is not on the bench and getting game time with us. He's much better than Ayew and Sako imho. Batshuayi won't be here next season, and quite frankly was a poor signing because he got in the way of Benteke and Wickham, and won't be a Palace player next season.

But there're obviously some issues behind the scenes that we are not privy to as to why Wickham is not more involved with the first team. From the little that Roy has allowed me to see of Wickham he looks easily good enough post-injury to perform to the required standard in the Premier League.
Old 25-04-2019, 03:25 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Think Roy may of got annoyed with him that he was too eager in trying to rush his recovery and kept getting setbacks by overdoing it.

Maybe that is why he has been taken out of competitive action and as we are safe to let him recover more and rest during the summer and be ready to go again in the pre season.

Think for the sake of an extra year it would seem a false economy to throw the towel in on his career with us.

Keep Wickham and Benteke next season. Let Bats go back to Chelsea and also buy a young Striker with potential.
Old 25-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
From what I've heard, he hasn't managed 2 straight weeks of training yet without picking up a niggle of some description. I'd imagine risking him in some high pressure games would have been a step too far for someone clearly not at 100%, not really worth another serious set back if it can be avoided. A rest over the summer and a full pre season would give a much clearer view on him.

I highly doubt Roy simply doesn't rate him. For 13 of Roy's 19 months here, he hadn't even kicked a ball in any training session. I doubt someone of 50+ years experience would simply write a player off after a few weeks back from 2 years out injured. Would be foolish at best, pretty damn shitty at worst, and he doesn't strike me as that at all.
Old 25-04-2019, 03:53 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
I don't understand how Wickham is not on the bench and getting game time with us. He's much better than Ayew and Sako imho. Batshuayi won't be here next season, and quite frankly was a poor signing because he got in the way of Benteke and Wickham, and won't be a Palace player next season.

But there're obviously some issues behind the scenes that we are not privy to as to why Wickham is not more involved with the first team. From the little that Roy has allowed me to see of Wickham he looks easily good enough post-injury to perform to the required standard in the Premier League.
We had no fit striker.
Old 25-04-2019, 05:22 PM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
As much as I love Jonny Williams, Wickham has proven for us he can score goals in the Prem and big games (FA Cup Semi). When fit, he was fantastic for us. A knee injury can take time and he has had lots of subsequent niggles. Williams even when fit never had as much influence for us in the Prem.

No point in moving on as doubt we will get any money for him and wont gert many better 4th choice strikers who potentially could be 1st or 2nd choice if fit and back firing.
Let me firstly say i was a big fan of Jonny Williams and really hoped he would kick that injury hoodo into touch as clearly there was a star in the making even at age 17 it was clear to see that, but it was never to be.
As for Connor Wickham let me say i dont have your optimisim, again i felt he had all the attributes to make an excellent Centre Forward but yet again like JW the injury curse has struck, and the harsh reality is in the past 3 seasons he has barely put together a Dozen games and that is impossible for any manager to plan the teams future around.
Sometimes we have to make harsh decisions like do we buy out his contract so as to free up a place, or simply allow him to see out his contract when knowing his persistent injury history has no end date, personally i feel we should cut our losses even though it may come back and haunt us. However if he recovers then i would be delighted to have him wearing the Palace shirt again for the forseeable future.
Old 25-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Hazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Let me firstly say i was a big fan of Jonny Williams and really hoped he would kick that injury hoodo into touch as clearly there was a star in the making even at age 17 it was clear to see that, but it was never to be.
As for Connor Wickham let me say i dont have your optimisim, again i felt he had all the attributes to make an excellent Centre Forward but yet again like JW the injury curse has struck, and the harsh reality is in the past 3 seasons he has barely put together a Dozen games and that is impossible for any manager to plan the teams future around.
Sometimes we have to make harsh decisions like do we buy out his contract so as to free up a place, or simply allow him to see out his contract when knowing his persistent injury history has no end date, personally i feel we should cut our losses even though it may come back and haunt us. However if he recovers then i would be delighted to have him wearing the Palace shirt again for the forseeable future.
Why not give him a chance to go out on loan to the championship which would mitigate some of the wages and review nearer to January
Old 25-04-2019, 05:37 PM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Not easy moving a player on who's got enougher 14 15 months of a good weekly wage.( a )you got to find a club willing to take a gamble on a player who's injury record the last 4 seasons has not been good b why would the player take a pay cut to go somewhere else when he can ride contract out and sell himself . A ambitious championship club looking for promotion might take a gamble on him boro derby forest ect.
I would not dispute what you say, the dilema we face is either paying him off so as to free up wages and a place for a potential regular first teamer or allow him to see out his contract and hope he comes good.
One thing for sure management has a lot of tough decisions to make this summer as clearly major changes will need to happen with our strikers, as currently the Three we have on our books Benteke just cant score goals, Wickham is injury prone with no end in sight, and Sorloth who just is not up to premiership standard from what we have seen so far.
Old 25-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
I like him a lot

Give him a full pre season. Get him fit and at it

Will be an asset
Old 25-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazbaz View Post
Why not give him a chance to go out on loan to the championship which would mitigate some of the wages and review nearer to January
That would be a very sensible solution, but which ambitious championship club do you suggest would offer to do so? remembering he allegdly is on 65k p.w so if they were to pay 50% that still equates to 30k plus for a "risky" player, seems unlikely.
Old 25-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Hazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHazbaz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
That would be a very sensible solution, but which ambitious championship club do you suggest would offer to do so? remembering he allegdly is on 65k p.w so if they were to pay 50% that still equates to 30k plus for a "risky" player, seems unlikely.
Even if we got 10k per week back and he has a chance to prove himself itís worth it. Normally when they are injured players go back to their home club so maybe not that much of a risk to them but a chance for him. If it doesnít work out so be it but I think heís owed a chance as thereís a really good player in him
Old 25-04-2019, 05:59 PM

carter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is herecarter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I like him a lot

Will be an asset
He canít get fit. Thatís the point
Old 25-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Lombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is hereLombardo's hair Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I like him a lot

Will be an asset
I presume you are a rocket scientist as no one has ever thought of that before.
I also like him but if he is never fit is there any point in keeping him?
Old 25-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
He’s an absolute duffer.
Old 25-04-2019, 07:04 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
He will at some stage . I agree with Worksop that thereís a player there who is good and Iíd hate us to release him and him coming good somewhere else .
Old 25-04-2019, 07:07 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Isn't he fit now, but just doesn't make the bench?