Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 30-04-2019, 07:28 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthingEagle View Post
Hiding in plain sight in the same division.
Bolasie was on the bench at Bristol City, there is no way a 28m player was hiding in plain sight at all.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 30-04-2019, 07:49 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
Bolasie was on the bench at Bristol City, there is no way a 28m player was hiding in plain sight at all.
Nope, because Everton massively over paid for him.
Old 16-05-2019, 06:12 AM

rudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minerudeboy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Article on BBC site about the club that Jach is on loan to.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 16-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy View Post
Article on BBC site about the club that Jach is on loan to.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Fascinating. I didn't even know Moldova was divided.
Old 16-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Supporting Palace away

Eagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
16/5/19: Plus a (sort of) season round up. As I have previously stated, I am no great provider of insights into players, so I will primarily stick to stats on appearances

Jason Puncheon - Huddersfield Premier League
Southampton 1:1 Huddersfield & Huddersfield 1:1 Man Utd
Punch did not play and not on the bench. In fact he was at Selhurst for the final game, sitting in the Directors box. I am not sure if it was injuries or a drop in form but Punch's Palace contract ended at the end of this season.

Alexander Sorloth - KAA Gent (Belgium Premier League)
Gent 1:2 Mechelen (Cup game) - Sorloth played all 90 mins
Gent 0:1 Club Brugge - played all 90 mins
Std Liege 2:3 Gent - played all 90 mins
Difficult to know what to make of Sorloth's loan. He did not score many goals (3) but he was consistently a starter (16 of 17) and rarely substituted (1). The very fact that he played a lot in, what I assume is, a reasonable league (Championship standard?) means at least he gained more experience and kept up his fitness. If not exactly pushing up his value.

Jaroslaw Jach - Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldovan top league) until 31/12/19
Very difficult to see how or even how much he played as Moldovan football is not exactly widely reported. However it seems, even in a very poor league Jach did not play very much. I hope he can redeem himself but it looks highly unlikely.

Jason Lokilo - Lorient (France) Ligue 2
It appears Loikilo primarily played for Lorients 2nd team. He did get 4 sub appearances for the first team before playing more regularly (7) for the 2nd team. He also scored 3 goals. It is very difficult to know what standard of football a French 2nd tier club's, 2nd team would be but at least he seems to have played a fair bit and will undoubtedly have benefitted from the experience of playing in France.

Nya Kirby - Blackpool (League 1)
Blackpool 0:3 Gillingham - Kirby played first 45 mins.
Barnsley 2:1 Blackpool - started but subbed off at half time.
Blackpool 2:1 Fleetwood Town - started, subbed on 79 mins
It appears Kirby's loan was a success. He started slowly but forced himself into the first team with sub appearances and then played regularly as a starter.

Dion Curtis-Henry (GK) - Maidstone Utd (National League {the one below Div 2))
A slightly bizarre tale. Curtis-Henry had recently started his loan spell at Maidstone when he got injured in a collision. The goalkeeping coach then came on as an emergency sub. It seems that whilst C-H was receovering the coach got a taste for it and, other than the odd appearance by C-H, the coach played most of the remaining games.

Joseph Hungbo - Margate (Bostik League Premier)
It appears that this loan spell did not work out. Hungbo rarely played. I am unsure if that was injury induced.

Oliver Webber (GK) - Greenwich Borough (Bostik League - South East)
This loan seems to have worked well. Admittedly Greenwich play in a lower league and Greenwich propped up that table. However, Webber seems to have played almost every match so will have earned very valuable experience.
Old 16-05-2019, 09:43 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Thanks Eagle's Away. It seems Kirby showed some determination, good on the lad.

I understand the signing of Sorloth but how did we pay 10 million for a 500,000 prospect? Corruption? I still can not possible see how and who signed off on this transfer.

Jach seems an even worse player but in fairness had a cap for Polanad and again was gamble, but at least his transfer fee was only double what it should have been not 20 times.
Old 16-05-2019, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Thanks Eagle's Away. It seems Kirby showed some determination, good on the lad.

I understand the signing of Sorloth but how did we pay 10 million for a 500,000 prospect? Corruption? I still can not possible see how and who signed off on this transfer.

Jach seems an even worse player but in fairness had a cap for Polanad and again was gamble, but at least his transfer fee was only double what it should have been not 20 times.
My take on it, or theory is that we were very tight on wages for FFP but still had money available for a transfer fee. We probably couldn't find anyone else available who would join for low enough wages and desperately need cover, especially after Sako's injury. It was a ridiculous price to pay though, I agree.

As for Jach, he was obviously cheaper but when I watched a couple of U23 games he looked completely out of his depth. The huge mystery for me is how did he possibly get capped by Poland?!

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 16-05-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
The first time I saw Sorloth play I could tell he wouldn't be any use in the Prem. It totally bemuses me how anyone could watch him and think he was worth paying multi millions to acquire him. I thought exactly the same the first time I saw Jordon Mutch. Apparently Jach isn't even good enough for me to have a chance to watch him.

What worries me is that if I, who knows next to nothing, can tell straight away that a player is a waste of money, how come professionals who are paid hundreds of thousands to assess potential signings make such atrocious misjudgements

Eagle's Away - thank you very much for such an interesting thread that clearly takes you some time to research on a regular basis
Old 16-05-2019, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
The first time I saw Sorloth play I could tell he wouldn't be any use in the Prem. It totally bemuses me how anyone could watch him and think he was worth paying multi millions to acquire him. I thought exactly the same the first time I saw Jordon Mutch. Apparently Jach isn't even good enough for me to have a chance to watch him.

What worries me is that if I, who knows next to nothing, can tell straight away that a player is a waste of money, how come professionals who are paid hundreds of thousands to assess potential signings make such atrocious misjudgements

Eagle's Away - thank you very much for such an interesting thread that clearly takes you some time to research on a regular basis
I guess maybe when watching them play in the Danish league it is hard to tell how they will cope at a higher level. But just from his CV it was clearly a joke of a fee we paid. He had completely failed in Holland and even players who score lots of goals and succeed there often fail in the Premier League. So the fact one good half-season in the Danish league led us to pay close to 10m for him is barmy.

I guess Jairo looked good in the Dutch league to lots of eyes but from the moment he made his debut for us I had major doubts about him. Worst debut I can remember seeing from a Palace player. Just awful.

I remember Mutch being poor on debut too but he had done well in the PL for Cardiff (somehow). I wonder if attitude has been a factor in his slide down the football ladder.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 16-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Kai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Any player failing to make an impact in the Norwegian Leagues are hardly cut out for the Premiership are they?
Old 16-05-2019, 04:08 PM
19 years for 4,075 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
I guess Jairo looked good in the Dutch league to lots of eyes but from the moment he made his debut for us I had major doubts about him. Worst debut I can remember seeing from a Palace player. Just awful
You didnt see Ray Wilkins or Darren Pitcher's then?

Yes Jairo had a poor debut... but the rest of them hardly covered themselves in glory did they?

I'm disappointed Roy hasn't seen good enough signs to give him more of a chance...but based on what Roy has achieved I'll give him that one !
Old 16-05-2019, 08:27 PM

Rolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRolly49 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sorloth just scored the winner for Gent. Not the greatest standard of football the Belgian first division but well taken goal nonetheless
Old 16-05-2019, 08:37 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Couple of answers / comments.

Lorient's second team play in the National 2 which is the equivalent of basically the Ryman League in England.

And the keeper coach at Maidstone is only 30, I was expecting it to be some guy in his 40s.
Old 17-05-2019, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post
You didnt see Ray Wilkins or Darren Pitcher's then?

Yes Jairo had a poor debut... but the rest of them hardly covered themselves in glory did they?

I'm disappointed Roy hasn't seen good enough signs to give him more of a chance...but based on what Roy has achieved I'll give him that one !
Yes I saw both of their debuts. I was there. Ray was injured fairly early on wasn't he and Pitcher had a poor game. Our other new signing Preece went off injured too I think.

Obviously many years have gone between those games so it's hard to compate but I still remember Jairo's as worse. Rabbit in headlights and utterly out of his depth on that day. Others played poorly but he was truly woeful.

There have been the odd, rare signs of somethinh good from Jairo but far more often he has looked not up to it in the Premier League to me. I trust Roy's opinion on him and wish we could get rid but he has turned down a few moves now which is disappointing as I would expect him to want to play football and try to get his career back on track but he seems happy to pick up his pay cheque despite rarely making the bench and clearly being told he is not in the managers plans.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 17-05-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 17-05-2019, 12:53 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Pitcher made his debut at Right Back against Liverpool even though he was a Centre Mid.
Old 17-05-2019, 12:54 PM
19 years for 4,075 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Yes I saw both of their debuts. I was there. Ray was injured fairly early on wasn't he and Pitcher had a poor game. Our other new signing Preece went off injured too I think.

Obviously many years have gone between those games so it's hard to compate but I still remember Jairo's as worse. Rabbit in headlights and utterly out of his depth on that day. Others played poorly but he was truly woeful.

There have been the odd, rare signs of somethinh good from Jairo but far more often he has looked not up to it in the Premier League to me. I trust Roy's opinion on him and wish we could get rid but he has turned down a few moves now which is disappointing as I would expect him to want to play football and try to get his career back on track but he seems happy to pick up his pay cheque despite rarely making the bench and clearly being told he is not in the managers plans.
Fair comment.
Old 17-05-2019, 01:08 PM

TouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Away View Post
Dion Curtis-Henry (GK) - Maidstone Utd (National League {the one below Div 2))
A slightly bizarre tale. Curtis-Henry had recently started his loan spell at Maidstone when he got injured in a collision. The goalkeeping coach then came on as an emergency sub. It seems that whilst C-H was receovering the coach got a taste for it and, other than the odd appearance by C-H, the coach played most of the remaining games.
Imagine if, a couple of years ago, we were so beset by goalkeeping injuries, that we had to bring Andy Woodman on as an emergency sub.
Old 17-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Pitcher made his debut at Right Back against Liverpool even though he was a Centre Mid.
I never understood, 25 years on, whilst the perfectly capable, Johnny H, wasn't picked for the first game.

I was on holiday in Belgium at the time and can remember, not having internet, the excitement of picking up the papers and revelling in our 3-1 win at Arsenal the week before and then, 7 days later, this abomination

As Kurtz would say, The horror, the horror..
Old 17-05-2019, 02:49 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
I never understood, 25 years on, whilst the perfectly capable, Johnny H, wasn't picked for the first game.

I was on holiday in Belgium at the time and can remember, not having internet, the excitement of picking up the papers and revelling in our 3-1 win at Arsenal the week before and then, 7 days later, this abomination

As Kurtz would say, The horror, the horror..
That was for Tony Adams testimonial wasn't it? all very last minute from memory.

Smith fell out with Humphrey on a jolly up during 93/94 and sent him out on loan to Reading from memory. The relationship was still frosty, and 94/95 Patterson (who'd waited over 2 years to make his league debut) was the preferred starter after Pitchers horrendous debut. Patterson although a combative trier was so limited, and picked up a booking every other match
Don't know what it was with Smith and right backs, he also dropped Wayne Carlisle back there for the Liverpool cup game in 2001 and killed the kids confidence.
Old 17-05-2019, 02:51 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
That was for Tony Adams testimonial wasn't it? all very last minute from memory.

Smith fell out with Humphrey on a jolly up during 93/94 and sent him out on loan to Reading from memory. The relationship was still frosty, and 94/95 Patterson (who'd waited over 2 years to make his league debut) was the preferred starter after Pitchers horrendous debut. Patterson although a combative trier was so limited, and picked up a booking every other match
Don't know what it was with Smith and right backs, he also dropped Wayne Carlisle back there for the Liverpool cup game in 2001 and killed the kids confidence.
Never forget going to QPR Away just after Xmas in 2000 and seeing Right Back Jamie Smith, all 5'6" of him playing Centre Back, man marking 6'7" Peter Crouch.

That was the first game Wayne Carlisle played RB, and Smith obviously thought the trick would work again, against the much stronger Premiership Liverpool.