Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 14-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Moment of the season?

So many incidents to choose from in what eventually turned out to be a fairly comfortable campaign - even if we could scarcely win at home.

Obvious examples include Andros's crackers v City and Burnley and, on a lower-key note, his miss at Old Trafford when it looked like we might finally beat "that lot" for the first time in the Prem.

Among my other enduring memories are those wonderful wins at Turf Moor, the King Power and the Emirates, the first of our goals at Anfield, Luka's remarkable calmness from the spot all season (bar Everton) and the Doncaster trip, albeit more memorable for the fans than for the performance on the pitch.

But I have to say, having watched it back many times since Sunday, that Wilf's magical run after being wound up by Howe's thugs pretty much topped them all. A moment of pure last-day brilliance that had everyone on their feet as our talisman gained full and final retribution to send us all home smiling.

The chorus of "He's just too good for you" which followed was brimming with pure passion, truth and justified vengeance from everyone with a red and blue heart. Not to mention how hilarious it was watching him fly past their defence.

Of course there were also several moments that should perhaps be instantly consigned to the dustbin of history. Those misses at Watford and against Newcastle that could have changed the complexion of our early season, Macca's mess-up from two yards (the details don't come readily to mind), and the defeats against, well, you know who.

But all in all it's been fun, even if it didn't always feel like it at the time. Any other personal high/lowlights? I'm aware there are loads I've missed out.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:10 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Benteke and Wickham's solitary goals probably deserve a mention.

I would also reflect on Speroni's performance against Spurs in the cup and the ovation he received at full time, having been rinsed a bit up at Liverpool, as a personal highlight. A great way to bow out.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Benteke and Wickham's solitary goals probably deserve a mention.

I would also reflect on Speroni's performance against Spurs in the cup and the ovation he received at full time, having been rinsed a bit up at Liverpool, as a personal highlight. A great way to bow out.
There you go, I said I'd missed loads out!
Old 14-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Palace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The moment you mentioned with Zaha was purely brilliant.

The whole thing with Lerma and Bournemouth shouting ‘He’s gonna cry in a minute’, Zaha reacting to it.

Only he didn’t cry in a minute, he mugged them off instead. 22,000 people chanting ‘he’s too good to you’, and pointing directly at the Bournemouth fans.... The WHOLE stadium! Bournemouth just shrivelled into that corner, they must’ve felt so mugged off, it was hilarious!
Old 14-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Palace Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace43 View Post

The whole thing with Lerma and Bournemouth shouting ‘He’s gonna cry in a minute’, Zaha reacting to it.

Only he didn’t cry in a minute, he mugged them off instead. 22,000 people chanting ‘he’s too good to you’, and pointing directly at the Bournemouth fans.... The WHOLE stadium! Bournemouth just shrivelled into that corner, they must’ve felt so mugged off, it was hilarious!
Just fantastic. As said, in a season full of incident I think Wilf managed to top the lot in the dying minutes of the final game. Pure magic.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Absolutely this. Five goals in the sunshine, capped off by this. Marvellous stuff.

Honorable mentions to
- A completely professional performance at Craven Cottage, again in the sunshine. I felt we were a proper, grown up Premier League team
- Leicester away - Wilf's first goal, just as Leicester had got themselves on level terms
- Donny away - great support & another professional, comfortable away win
Old 14-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
For me it was one of the greatest moments in nearly 50 years of watching Palace.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:39 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Man City. Sorta just had a feeling of ‘let’s get this out the way, have a laugh and make the best of the rest of our day in Manchester’ when I was walking up to the Etihad. What followed...ooof.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:42 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Man City. Sorta just had a feeling of ‘let’s get this out the way, have a laugh and make the best of the rest of our day in Manchester’ when I was walking up to the Etihad. What followed...ooof.
In case you’re on the BBS, American dude from Philadelphia but living in Cali, who told me a story about breaking a seat at West Brom away. I enjoyed your company
Old 14-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Captain Brugge

Poosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Watching it back, you can hear the faint boos as Wilf receives the ball just inside our half. Within 10 seconds the ball was in their net. Lovely stuff which of course sits beautifully in the wider context of fans on his back.
Old 14-05-2019, 03:56 PM
We scored three...

knowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If I was there, I would’ve gone for the Townsend goal against City but it honestly has to be that Zaha assist. I am not sure I have ever witnessed a player so blatantly mug off a team and their fans, you honestly couldn’t write it.

And then for the whole ground to turn to them and sign “He’s just too good for you”, just hilarious. It is also worth pointing out that such was the level of abuse, we didn’t (for the first time at a home game in ages), do the standard “We Love You” chant after the goal.
Old 14-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Palace Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesyUCLA View Post
such was the level of abuse, we didn’t (for the first time at a home game in ages), do the standard “We Love You” chant after the goal.
People around me were trying to, but the "too good for you" song quickly took over. Proper spontaneous reaction which silenced the seaside cardigans completely. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving team. Well, maybe one more deserving...
Old 14-05-2019, 04:17 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
It's between the Townsend strike and that Wilf assist. They were so blatantly tying to shove him over, trip him up, foul him so that he would explode again and East would have had to send him off. And instead he said "f*** you I'm doing this anyway" and went past them as if they weren't there. Fair play to East letting play continue with our advantage. And finally when he got to the box he had the composure not to whack it at the keeper's midriff but square it to Townsend whom their defenders had ignored in their desperation to foul Wilf and who then had a sitter. Bounemouth's chances of wangling a dodgy point were toast as soon as it hit the net. And Wilf celebrated as if he'd scored it himself. Beautiful.

FFS moment of the season was either letting weed score from a bollocks corner with nine men on the field, or else Wilf getting sent off by that twat Marriner after Ward Prowse fouled him then aasaulted him towards the end of one of the worst referee performances I've ever seen.
Old 14-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Has to be the city away win, even though I didn’t go, I was at home watching Jeff Stelling and the gang and their reactions were brilliant. Just sitting waiting for the flood gates to open when they went 1-0 up and it not happening with us going 3-1 up was memorable even though I didn’t go.

For a game I was at, Andros’s superb goal finally finishing Burnley off after one of the most one sided games I’ve ever seen. And winning on the opening day is always special, especially away
Old 14-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Le Crystal Chamakh

mroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is here
West Ham at home - my first match at Selhurst. A draw we probably should've won (I still have no idea how McArthur missed that shot from about 30cm out) but I still very much enjoyed being in the lower Holmesdale for a Palace match after years of watching on shitty streams while reading the match threads
Old 14-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
All the moments you mention, defenders trying to rugby tackle Wilf, Andros' worldy, but also AWB chopping people down fairly, Vinny with stats better than De Gea's, and Speroni's tear-jerker

I must mention though, at times as a team we have played some of the best passing and attacking football I have seen Palace play. It's a shame more goals didn't go in early in the season as it lead to a lot of undue negativity from the crowd. Sad considering it's actually been our best season in the modern top-flight points-wise.
Old 14-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Eagles

NRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNRM the 2nd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bringing my 4 year old son for the first time on Sunday. Proud moment never to be forgotten and quite a first game. Him clapping away and cheering even though he probably had no idea what at was what it's all about
Old 14-05-2019, 06:02 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:

It was a true magic moment.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.

Only people with their own hair, need to apply.

Hell is coming to breakfast.
Old 14-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
I agree - 3-2 flattered City - haven’t felt that smug walking away from a ground in ages and repeatedly watched the Andros goal on the train home until my phone died.
Old 14-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Danny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDanny_Cheviot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Home win against Leicester. Lot of defeats before that game.

We seemed to get up to speed after that game.