Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 14-04-2017, 09:28 AM
DGFootball Pod

Sir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSir.S.C Remembered came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old news sorry. But only just seen it. Discussed this in one of my pods. I think it is naive of him to think that the government/FA would not make massive exceptions for the Premier League given the financial pressure to do so. The Premier League is such a huge product and the TV deals are so huge and would be impacted with less stars. Also, most chairmen are not Brits so would unlikely be less supportive than Parish.

Saying that actions speak louder than words Steve. Underinvestment in the team big time.

For the record, I'm not sure BFS has a great record with bringing through youth. He's hardly shown a huge desire to here so far.

If only more believed in youth like Pocc:
Old 14-04-2017, 09:45 AM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I don't think that is old news, is it?

I really think that if he cares about bringing youth players through, he should put more cash into the academy. Surely within a few years you see a return anyway - if Zaha goes this Summer for 50million, how many years has that covered the academy costs for?
Old 14-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Judging by comments in Sam's press conference today, it's hard to be hugely committed to funding an academy when promising teenagers can just walk away from you.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:28 AM

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post

I really think that if he cares about bringing youth players through, he should put more cash into the academy. Surely within a few years you see a return anyway - if Zaha goes this Summer for 50million, how many years has that covered the academy costs for?
It hardly covers any costs as it will need to be reinvested in the team.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:29 AM

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.S.C Remembered View Post

Old news sorry. But only just seen it. Discussed this in one of my pods. I think it is naive of him to think that the government/FA would not make massive exceptions for the Premier League given the financial pressure to do so. The Premier League is such a huge product and the TV deals are so huge and would be impacted with less stars. Also, most chairmen are not Brits so would unlikely be less supportive than Parish.

Saying that actions speak louder than words Steve. Underinvestment in the team big time.

For the record, I'm not sure BFS has a great record with bringing through youth. He's hardly shown a huge desire to here so far.

How can he show the desire to here when we're in a dog fight.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:

I believe that I read somewhere that he would look at introducing the likes of Kaikai when we are safe. Win tomorrow and we may see some new blood over the coming weeks.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 14-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
Quote:

1/ Are the kids good enough at present?
2/ If so, will they make a difference to a game if used?
3/ The run in (opponents) has to be a factor as to why they're not used.
4/ Is there a place (positionally/tactically) on our bench for youth?

I'm all for giving kids a game, but circumstances have to be right. With the future of the club so reliant on the TV money, you'd have to think the more seasoned and experienced players are the best option.
Let's hope we are safe with a few games to go and a couple of the young ones can get a run out.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:08 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashman12 View Post
It hardly covers any costs as it will need to be reinvested in the team.
That's exactly the point. How much did Zaha costs us? If we say we broke even from the Man Utd transfers, he's near enough costs us zero to produce. We need to get away from thinking that spending 30mil on a new player and throwing 100k at him a week is sustainable. We need to go back to producing our own players.

In fact, it's not so much 'marque' players like Benteke that are the issue. It's chaps like Mutch, Lee, etc. We should be looking at squad 'fillers' being kids from the academy.
Old 14-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Interview with 15-year-old Jude Russell on eagles.cpfc.co.uk is well worth a watch. Has played five games for the U18s and was very good in the two home games I saw. Only turned 15 about a month ago. Coventry youth blogger said he is the best player he's seen at U18 level this season. They're the champions and beat us 3-0 last week after we beat them 2-1 at home to end their 11-game winning run

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

Last edited by Woosie; 14-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 14-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Banned by Moderators

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post

Another thread on which you are peddling our best young talent.Anything else going on in your head?
Old 14-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Erm... you're a bit of a weird one. I'd love Zaha to stay above anything else this Summer. I'm just simply putting forward a non-emotional case for investing in the academy - it can offer a massive return on the investment.
Old 14-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I liked the look of Dreher a lot. Looked to have a degree of vision which might make him a Premier League player. I know he was injured for a spell but is he still looking good?
Old 14-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Saw ex academy prospect Kieron Cadogan at Sutton today. Looks better than tier 5
Old 14-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Apprentice Critic.

4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Judging by comments in Sam's press conference today, it's hard to be hugely committed to funding an academy when promising teenagers can just walk away from you.
And IMO there lies the answer. Why invest in an Academy costing millions every year without any guarantee of loyalty, ability fulfillment, or success when you can just buy a 'complete player' without risk when he's achieved something and you need a player with his ability?

It's all very nice having a player come through the ranks, but they're far and few between, and for every success how many failures are there? Ask yourself this, will Johnny Williams, who's now 23 ever be a Palace regular and how many others are like him? Just saying.
Old 14-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned by Moderators

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No need for an academy when you've got the Sky money.Just go and snap up a kid that some other club has nurtured.Another example of how the whole Sky/Premiership greed thing is distorting our national game......
Old 14-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones14 View Post
1/ Are the kids good enough at present?
2/ If so, will they make a difference to a game if used?
3/ The run in (opponents) has to be a factor as to why they're not used.
4/ Is there a place (positionally/tactically) on our bench for youth?

I'm all for giving kids a game, but circumstances have to be right. With the future of the club so reliant on the TV money, you'd have to think the more seasoned and experienced players are the best option.
Let's hope we are safe with a few games to go and a couple of the young ones can get a run out.
I'm afraid they won't while every place in the Prem table is worth big money.Best the kids will get is a League Cup game or going out on loan....
Old 16-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'd estimate that our Academy costs 1.5m net to run per season. That's after the part funding each club receives from The Premier League.

Recentish player sales of Academy graduates include:
Moses to Wigan 2.5m in 2010
Clyne 1.5m to Southampton in 2012 (estimated fee as never published)
Zaha to Man U for 10m in 2013 (estimated, papers reporting 10m plus possible extra 5m in add ons).
Ben Watson to Wigan 2m in 2009.
Scannell to Huddersfield 350k in 2012
Various other minor sales 2009 to 2017 totalling estimated 350k

Ok we paid to buy Zaha back but likelihood is he'll eventually be sold for big money again.
And some of the transfer fees above may not be spot on but you get the general idea.

We've genetated about 17m of player sales from academy graduates in last 8 years
So we've actually made a profit as I'd estimate 8 years running costs after the prem league subsidy as being 12m.

Plus add on to that the total number of first team games played by young academy grads whose wages for first season they featured in first team would be way below market rate.

And of course the intangible benefits an academy provides for all those who are part of it in terms of helping the lads develop off the field. I think it was Head of Everton academy who said his job is to provide players for first team and ensure that those who do not make it, walk out of the door as a more rounded, self disciplined, respectful human being.
Old 18-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
No need for an academy when you've got the Sky money.Just go and snap up a kid that some other club has nurtured.Another example of how the whole Sky/Premiership greed thing is distorting our national game......
The problrm with this is when/if you get relegated. If you have 3 or 4 youngsters who are good enough for Championship level, then they can come in and replace players sold to balance the books. If there are no youth, then you have to sell more players to be able to replace them.
Old 18-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Kai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is here
Until we get to position of not having to worry about relegation every year, we are not gonna have an easy time bringing youngsters through. Unless they are exceptional that is
Old 18-04-2017, 02:42 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Any news about the new site for the academy / training ground ?