Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 22-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Palace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace121 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfclife View Post
Hate to say it, but I agree with you. Iíve not once bought into this whole he comes from Serbia stuff either. He really isnít ďtoughĒ at all. People wanted to replace Jedinak so quickly, they labelled this guy before he even did anything. Doesnít really make that many tackles, and is a real weak captain mentally.

Before people jump on me, I do still like him as a player. Yea heís had a poor season, but he misses Cabaye. Heís just not the mean streaked, full blooded warrior people have made him out to be
I don't know what games you've been watching. His passing and general awareness have been poor this year but he's still making a lot of tackles. He's certainly not afraid to put a foot in but unlike Cabaye, doesn't tend to do so needlessly when a booking is guaranteed (though he should have taken one for the team against Watford).
Old 22-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Send Us Victorious

Prince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPrince Phillip came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
FdB didn't see him as a midfielder at all. Sometimes even a complete lunatic can get something right.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Come on Palace

cpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Only 6 midfielders in the PL have made more tackles. Even allowing for game time he is still in the top 12 for the rate at which he makes tackles.
Thatís fair enough. Cabaye actually used to contribute more defensively when he played though. Which is why I donít consider him to be this tough tackling, hard Serbian bruiser, people have made him out to be.

Do you disagree with any other points Iíve mentioned?
Old 22-10-2018, 03:33 PM

GreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaPalace View Post
Doesnít matter how many tackles he makes if he gives the ball straight back to the opposition every time
True but that was not the accusation that was made which i believed to be incorrect.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:38 PM

GreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Thatís fair enough. Cabaye actually used to contribute more defensively when he played though. Which is why I donít consider him to be this tough tackling, hard Serbian bruiser, people have made him out to be.

Do you disagree with any other points Iíve mentioned?
I was one of those who was saying for years how good and important Cabaye was for us. I am not surprised he is being missed. I also made the suggestion as to his replacement. I was stunned we actually signed Meyer but shocked even more he has only started 1 game in CM as we head towards November.

I think Luka is struggling at the moment but he can be a tough tackling leader in the middle of the park. At present he is being asked to lead a team that looks lost whilst also playing in midfield often on his own.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Come on Palace

cpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecpfclife : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I was one of those who was saying for years how good and important Cabaye was for us. I am not surprised he is being missed. I also made the suggestion as to his replacement. I was stunned we actually signed Meyer but shocked even more he has only started 1 game in CM as we head towards November.

I think Luka is struggling at the moment but he can be a tough tackling leader in the middle of the park. At present he is being asked to lead a team that looks lost whilst also playing in midfield often on his own.
I agree with all of that. Meyer should be playing the Cabaye role, similar to the one he played, by all accounts really well, in his last season at Schalke.

In terms of me saying heís a mentally weak captain, Iím referring to incidents such as letting Benteke take the ball from him, and not having the mental strength to take his normal approach to penalties against City or Everton. Maybe we were spoiled with Mile, and these are just normal things captains go through, but I donít feel like it should be
Old 22-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Phillip View Post
FdB didn't see him as a midfielder at all. Sometimes even a complete lunatic can get something right.
Maybe I was barmy but at the time I thought that I had understood why FDB asked the question of him being a CB in a 3. He lacks the pace and passing accuracy that is ideal for a DM in a fluid formation but has (on paper) the brain, tackling etc to make a very good ball playing CB. The problems with it were twofold however. The big one being that he really doesn't want to play there and he made that very clear right up front. The second fairly huge issue is that he is (surprisingly) not very good in the air for a DM. So he might be able to get away with it in the same way Ben Davies does for Wales if he really fancied it but it was always a dead loss because he wouldn't even try it. In FDB's formation he would need a wide CB that would regularly bring the ball forward and pick the passes and Luka would fit there.

It's all water under the proverbial now. While I am at it. Andros at WB 'almost' made sense too but his defensive awareness positionally etc. and being scared of the ball in the air made that tricky too

Add two upset bunnies to the general, widely rumoured, 'upsetting of players' and it was never going to be easy was it.

Re Luka now - I think he has had a very poor start to his season but he has very gradually been improving. He looks very low on confidence lately and needs shaking out of it somehow. Mixed bag on Sunday. Don't think we have many options for dropping him and so don't see it happening.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I agree with all of that. Meyer should be playing the Cabaye role, similar to the one he played, by all accounts really well, in his last season at Schalke.

In terms of me saying heís a mentally weak captain, Iím referring to incidents such as letting Benteke take the ball from him, and not having the mental strength to take his normal approach to penalties against City or Everton. Maybe we were spoiled with Mile, and these are just normal things captains go through, but I donít feel like it should be
When Benteke took the ball from him, he was not captain, Dann was which is why it happened.

AJ and Murray both put a lot of their penalties down the middle. It is not a sign so much of his mental strength but of his lack of confidence at the moment IMO.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Time for a spell on his arris Iím afraid
Who can do his job though?
Old 22-10-2018, 03:56 PM

Seanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He’s been well below avg all season imho
Old 22-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Come on Palace

Quote:
When Benteke took the ball from him, he was not captain, Dann was which is why it happened.

AJ and Murray both put a lot of their penalties down the middle. It is not a sign so much of his mental strength but of his lack of confidence at the moment IMO.
Pretty sure Luka started the game as captain before Dann came on. Weather he had the armband on at the time or not, heís still one of the leaders in the dressing room and should have had the authority to tell Benteke that he was the designated pen taker. It felt like he bottled it because he didnít know what to do with it, having already scored one in that game.

I donít have a problem with players putting them down the middle, but when the only time heís doing it is under more pressure situations and missing, it suggests a lack of mental toughness
Old 22-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
I believe Max Meyer is the Yohan replacement - gamble is that he has no PL experience and hits the ground running
He could be that player but with hand on heart i don't believe for 1 minute that he was sought out as Cabaye's replacement. He became available and we saw an opportunity to get him without a large fee. The fact that the club didn't appear to be after Cabaye's replacement is my big concern.
Old 22-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaPalace View Post
Doesnít matter how many tackles he makes if he gives the ball straight back to the opposition every time
His tackling is not in question, it is his distribution that has sucked.
Old 22-10-2018, 07:06 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Looks well out of his depth this season. Shouldn't be in the starting eleven.
Old 23-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
His tackling is not in question, it is his distribution that has sucked.
Whilst i would agree it has not been good enough, of those players to have started half our games, only 4 have a better passing record, Tomkins, Sakho, McArthur and Ayew. It looks worse because he sees the ball more than any other Palace player.

No regular starter has a pass % above 90% (Meyer does) and only the 5 (including Luka) get the ball to another palace player 4 times out of 5.

Considering RH has tried to turn us into a team that hold possession and passes the ball around, it is not hard to see where the problem lies - our players movement and passing is simply not good enough to play that kind of football.

Schlupp and AWB struggle to find their teammates 3 times out of 4!
Old 23-10-2018, 09:29 AM

EaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEaglesSnapBack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We already have a dud midfielder in Schlupp, I read people saying drop Luka but who is going to be his replacement?

Last edited by EaglesSnapBack; 23-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 23-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSnapBack View Post
We already have a dud midfielder in Schlupp, I read people saying drop him but who is going to be his replacement?
Our best midfield IMO is L-R

Ayew - Meyer - Luka - Townsend

Yet to start with it though.
Old 23-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Our best midfield IMO is L-R

Ayew - Meyer - Luka - Townsend

Yet to start with it though.
That's what I would play - certainly for home games (presumably you've got Ayew on the left and Townsend on the right?).
Old 23-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
That's what I would play - certainly for home games (presumably you've got Ayew on the left and Townsend on the right?).
Yup
Old 23-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
He looks 2 yards off the pace.
Looks unfit and uninterested, it’s not like he’s not had a break.
Unfortunately he’s one of those players that will raise his game against the bigger teams.
I think that peno miss will be the best thing for him this season.