Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
It’s not that. It’s the problem that Google has blocked Huawei from all updates and next releases of software. Existing Huawei handsets are now not going to benefit from updates and new models simply will have to have their own OS.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Rome View Post
I think that - unless you are directly involved in matters of sensistive national importance - your ownership of a Huawei handset isn't going to be an issue.

As I understand it, the main concerns of the US (and it has to be said other national agencies as well) are around Huawei kit deployed in the network infrastructure, so routers, digital switches, ACD equipment - that sort of thing. If, as is rumoured, one of the conditions of the Huawei operating licence in China is that they cannot refuse requests from the Chinese government to hand over data gleaned from this infrastructure kit, then you can understand security concerns.

However, I can't imagine the chairman of the Chinese Communist Party phoning up Huawei and saying "hello comrade, please pull all the records for calls made by eagle mart..."
Watched the Panorama on this a few weeks ago. They suggested that with the world becoming 'smarter' and everything being controlled by the internet in future, what would happen to a city, a country, if suddenly all their masts went down. Much of any future warfare is likely to be cyber, and so having control of your own networks and infrastructure will be crucial.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Surely whoever configures the infrastructure kit will be in control. I may be getting rusty but all the routers and voice equipment that I setup was cut off from the wider internet. If I am missing something about the remote management of 5th gen specific kit that requires continual access and control from the manufacturers would some kind soul update me please.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Is there some good unbiased commentary on where we go from here for users. I'm eager to get a refurbished Huawei Mate P20 Pro. But this is really putting me off. Keep my phone for back-up, I guess.
I think we are still weeks away from a definitive resolution.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Get a Samsung.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here

Quote:
Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, met during the Group of 20 summit in Osaka, Japan and reached a “cease-fire” in the ongoing U.S.-China trade war that will “remove some curbs on Huawei Technologies Co. buying high-tech equipment from the U.S.,”

According to the Journal, Trump said the cease-fire declared this weekend will delay imposing greater tariffs on $300 billion in Chinese goods that aren’t already subject to 25 percent tariffs in in exchange for China “buying large amounts of American farm products.”

The National Security Council has been examining ways of narrowing the restrictions on Huawei so they focus on sales of U.S. technology used in “chokepoints,” where Huawei technology could control wireless networks, people familiar with the discussions said.

Mr. Trump was clearly making Huawei a part of any trade settlement, although his top advisers, including Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, have said the administration was keeping Huawei separate from trade talks.

“We’re talking about equipment where there’s not a great national-emergency problem with it,” Mr. Trump said.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:51 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
And Huawei say they have nothing to do with Government. Still as long as their business practices are kept under the spotlight and their tech is not used in critical infrastructure the rest is no problem.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 30-06-2019, 06:37 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
So we get the big research and development investments in Cambridge from Huawei then?
Old 30-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Butter View Post
So the Huawei nonsense is just a trade relations gambit.
Old 30-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
But is it just about allowing them to buy non-sensitive U.S. kit? I can't see any mention of allowing Huawei to sell their stuff (I couldn't read the whole article).
Old 30-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
No it’s not. They, and a lot of other countries, are still not letting them near the core strategic architecture. Also the case in Canada regarding breaking sanctions is still in effect. Even if this case fails I think they will be a little more circumspect in the future.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 30-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
No it’s not. They, and a lot of other countries, are still not letting them near the core strategic architecture. Also the case in Canada regarding breaking sanctions is still in effect. Even if this case fails I think they will be a little more circumspect in the future.
Looks like Google and Android are about to lose at least 1/3rd of their market share out of this debacle. Probably more if an Indian Mobile phone producer comes to the fore like Lava for example. Think I'll go ahead with that P30 purchase for sure. Will report back on it's capacity. nuances and machinations in the future.

I'd say the alarm bells are ringing loud in the US right now and they will be back tracking on Huawei big time.

Too late hopefully. Cant wait to try HongMeng myself.
Old 30-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
I do wonder if this is all be a bit 'After the horse has bolted.'

My broadband connection went down on Monday. I reported it and was told it was as a result of a local outage and BT's guys were on the case. By Tuesday morning I was beginning to get the hump so I tethered my PC to my phone to see if I could find out where 'my' BT fibre cabinet is, thinking I might take a walk and see if there were any Openreach bods working on it.

This is what I found:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huawei.jpg (645.1 KB, 19 views)