Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
pdemeagle @eaglism

eaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle
Patrick Rothfuss

Locke Lomora books by Scott Lynch
Obv. Robert Jordan

Robin Hobb

Ian Cameron Esslemont has written some books around the Steven Ericsson ones

The guy who is finishing Jordan's work, Brandon Sanderson, has some excellent work of his own too.

Brent Weeks
All worth checking out IMO. You may know of them already of course.

Of those, the Locke Lomora books are probably the closest in tone and style to Joe Abercrombie.
Thanks very much, a few new names for me (those in bold) there actually so really appreciate it

Have some Rep good Sir

Proud of the lads that saved us in 2010/11 and of the Lads who brought us up 2012/13 and then kept us in the PL in 2013/14, at last !

Honestly never thought I'd see a CPFC win at Old Trafford in my Lifetime, I will always remember Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace on 30/11/11, not to mention Dazzas Goal :D
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsensibleLiam
Tempted to buy all the books as I am getting frustrated with just a weekly dose of this.
Same.

Last episode ending was below the belt, shouldn't of left such a big cliffhanger.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
Quote:
Patrick Rothfuss

Obv. Robert Jordan

Robin Hobb

The guy who is finishing Jordan's work, Brandon Sanderson, has some excellent work of his own too.

Brent Weeks

Of those, the Locke Lomora books are probably the closest in tone and style to Joe Abercrombie.
Robin Hobb: Absolute must. Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy. epic stuff. Have you read the Rainwild Chronicles by her? I've yet to read it. Links in with Liveship stories.

I would also suggest Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipungu
Robin Hobb: Absolute must. Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy. epic stuff. Have you read the Rainwild Chronicles by her? Links in with Liveship stories.

I would also suggest Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy.
Yup, Read all of Robin Hobb's stuff. Loved it all apart from the Soldier Son trilogy, which I thought was a bit weak.

Haven't tried Trudi Canavan but will add her to the list - I have to finish reading the final Ericsson book first....
Old 02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglebhoy
Thanks very much, a few new names for me (those in bold) there actually so really appreciate it

Have some Rep good Sir
Welcome. I read a lot of fantasy.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
The problem with Game of Thrones is that there isn't enough magic and wizardry. I'm hoping one of the dragon eggs hatches soon (it will do if Khalissi keeps putting it in the fire). I'm also hoping that Khalissi has regenerative powers like Wolverine in X-Men.

Oh and Khalissi is ridiculously hot. I would marry her on a mountain.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUCCI Eagle
The problem with Game of Thrones is that there isn't enough magic and wizardry. I'm hoping one of the dragon eggs hatches soon (it will do if Khalissi keeps putting it in the fire). I'm also hoping that Khalissi has regenerative powers like Wolverine in X-Men.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Snikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Patrick Rothfuss

Obv. Robert Jordan

Robin Hobb

Brent Weeks

Scott Lynch is fantastic.

Brent Weeks I thought was alright. The dialogue in some places was atrocious though. Only read the first book.

Bought Patrick Rothfuss but still haven't got round to reading.

I second Robin Hobb. I've read the first trilogy and apart from a slightly weaker third book the series was fantastic.

Raymond E Feist is good too, especially the serpentwa saga. More of the traditional fantasy books.

Not quite fantasy but close enough are Gemmell's Troy series and Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. Both are awesome reads.

Mark Charon Newton is worth a look as well as Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

It bothers me that I share the same opinions as most about which books are great but I cannot bring myself to read the second Eriksson book!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineGUCCI Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Can't believe you lot are reading when it's all on the telly. Duh-huh.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yup, Read all of Robin Hobb's stuff. Loved it all apart from the Soldier Son trilogy, which I thought was a bit weak.

Haven't tried Trudi Canavan but will add her to the list - I have to finish reading the final Ericsson book first....
I'm just about to order the Malazan series (minus book 10, until it gets into paperback).

How highly would you recommend?

And Snikt5, why couldn't you bring yourself to read the second one? Writing style?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Snikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I'm just about to order the Malazan series (minus book 10, until it gets into paperback).

And Snikt5, why couldn't you bring yourself to read the second one? Writing style?
I just thought it was needlessly complicated. For me it is no where near as enjoyable as the other books that have been mentioned. There were elements where the story seemed to be coming together and then a new character was introduced who was like every other character. Each character seems to be a major bad-ass with amazing magical powers - it just didn't do anything for me.

I like my stories to be about the characters more. The Malazan books you spent too much time trying to figure out what is going on and not really caring.

I am in the minority though and I desperately want to like the books, so maybe you will have more luck.

It is the same with Scott Bakker's trilogy and Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Everyone creams themselves over these books and I never thought they were all that.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Lovely

Quote:

Personally, I think they are excellent. Incredibly detailed, great character development, brilliant ideas and twisty turny plot. There is an awful lot going on and I remember feeling quite lost after getting about half way through the first book.

But, persevere, because once you get tuned into it, it's superb stuff with some truly memorable characters.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt5
I just thought it was needlessly complicated. For me it is no where near as enjoyable as the other books that have been mentioned. There were elements where the story seemed to be coming together and then a new character was introduced who was like every other character. Each character seems to be a major bad-ass with amazing magical powers - it just didn't do anything for me.

I like my stories to be about the characters more. The Malazan books you spent too much time trying to figure out what is going on and not really caring.
I know what you mean - but the first book really is a toe in the water. So much more happens, it's more of an introduction to the world.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think they are excellent. Incredibly detailed, great character development, brilliant ideas and twisty turny plot. There is an awful lot going on and I remember feeling quite lost after getting about half way through the first book.

But, persevere, because once you get tuned into it, it's superb stuff with some truly memorable characters.
I keep hearing this! Were you sold after the first book?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Lovely

Quote:
I keep hearing this! Were you sold after the first book?
I was interested enough to keep going, but I think it was the 2nd one that really hooked me. The story of the chain of dogs is amazing.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I am in the minority though and I desperately want to like the books, so maybe you will have more luck.

It is the same with Scott Bakker's trilogy and Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Everyone creams themselves over these books and I never thought they were all that.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I agree with you regarding American Gods, I didn't think it was all that either. Coraline was good though. And 1602.

Just placed order for some Malazan goodness. I'm gonna take a chance.

Last edited by Kipungu; 02-06-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Excellent stuff, thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I agree with you regarding American Gods, I didn't think it was all that either. Coraline was good though. And 1602.

Just placed order for some Malazan goodness. I'm gonna take a chance.
No problem. I am interested in what you think of them.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyandy
Was a bit odd when I realised who Tyrion's champion was (in last week's episode).

Half expected him to break into a verse from Unchained Melody.....
good spot!
Old 13-06-2011, 10:44 AM

ollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cannot believe what happened at the end of episode 9...

A part of me feels that a second series would be weaker without him.

But a great episode. Again.