Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
His pass completion was 69% for Everton - one of his lowest so far. But McArthur's for comparison was 48%.

On the defensive side, Meyer made 4 tackles and 3 interceptions in 71 minutes compared to McArthur's 1 tackle and no interceptions playing the whole game.

The stick Meyer got after the game was ridiculous IMO - to me he was one of the least bad players in a poor performance all round.
But Jimmy Mac runs around a lot.... that in the eyes of lots of Palace fans around me makes him a better player who 'cares more'
Old 01-05-2019, 04:57 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
No, not everyone; but not many (if indeed, any) were complete tosh either; however Meyer was lower down the scale of performances that day.
Most were pretty average at best. Even his ‘worst’ games have been when most have played awful and seems he gets signalled out. It’s odd. Just like Saturday.. he’s getting slated.. he played wide in a 4-4-2.. didnt play badly yet getting berated.. MacArthur who was also played out of position was toilet and some saying he was head and shoulders better than meyer.

Cabaye got this treatment in his first season.. pva as well... it’s all very odd.

Edit a just seen excowboys post.... almost like the facts back up my argument
Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
But Jimmy Mac runs around a lot.... that in the eyes of lots of Palace fans around me makes him a better player who 'cares more'
Well at the moment he probably is the better player all round, it's just that Meyer's improvements on the defensive side of the game seem to have been ignored by his detractors.

The same kind of thing was happening in reverse for much of the season where people were dismissing JM as a 'pub player' despite putting in consistently quality performances.

The point is they're both very good players, but overall our midfield is missing that extra bit of quality combined with solidity that we need, so people look for scapegoats.

Werner Herzog
Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
Most were pretty average at best. Even his ‘worst’ games have been when most have played awful and seems he gets signalled out. It’s odd. Just like Saturday.. he’s getting slated.. he played wide in a 4-4-2.. didnt play badly yet getting berated.. MacArthur who was also played out of position was toilet and some saying he was head and shoulders better than meyer.

Cabaye got this treatment in his first season.. pva as well... it’s all very odd.

Pointing out that for the most part he has flattered to deceive, that people saying he should be an automatic pick (my paraphrasing) aren’t necessarily right & that Hodgson isn’t automatically wrong for not selecting him isn’t “slating” him.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Most were pretty average at best. Even his Ďworstí games have been when most have played awful and seems he gets signalled out. Itís odd. Just like Saturday.. heís getting slated.. he played wide in a 4-4-2.. didnt play badly yet getting berated.. MacArthur who was also played out of position was toilet and some saying he was head and shoulders better than meyer.

Cabaye got this treatment in his first season.. pva as well... itís all very odd.

Spot on.

Meyer has been good this season but I'm sure there is more to come. The big question is whether Hodgson will ever play to his strengths.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Pointing out that for the most part he has flattered to deceive, that people saying he should be an automatic pick (my paraphrasing) arenít necessarily right & that Hodgson isnít automatically wrong for not selecting him isnít ďslatingĒ him.
I would pick a player to start when we have a 50% better points haul when he has compared to when he hasn't. Of course it could just all be coincidence, a rather huge coincidence but it is of course possible.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I would pick a player to start when we have a 50% better points haul when he has compared to when he hasn't. Of course it could just all be coincidence, a rather huge coincidence but it is of course possible.
I guess those results could be solely down to him and no other factors. Not all of his contributions back that up, but it could be true.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I think are an awful lot of variables at play so to say it would be a 'rather huge coincidence' is greatly overplaying it.

The other players available/ selected make a significant difference, as does how they performed on that day. Whether we were home or away makes a difference (we are better as a team away), did we get lucky with decisions that day? Did players take their chances? Was there an individual error by a defensive player/ keeper in those games? Who were the opposition makes a big difference. How well (or not) the opposition played on that day makes a big difference. Which players were available/ selected for the opposition makes a big difference (Arsenal away is a very good example of that). Did our opponents have a European game in the week before or after? Were the opposition coming in to the game in good form?

I'm certainly not dismissing the fact that Max's presence in the team could be a factor in those results but how much is certainly up for debate.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
Much more of a mixed bag of games than that

These were his starts: Everton H, Arsenal A, Huddersfield H, Burnley A, Cardiff H, Man City A, Leicester H, West Ham A, Brighton A, Burnley H, Man U A, Tottenham H, Chelsea A, Bournemouth A
The away record isnt any better.
I was referring to the home record which is better with Max in the side.

They have been games vs Everton, Huddesfield, Cardiff, Burnley, Leicester and Spurs. Only 1 top 7 team. So more winnable games than average. And the Huddesfield game we were poor until he came off at 0-0. Besides all this is a tiny sample to suggest one player making all the difference.

Last edited by Billyd; 02-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 AM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Most were pretty average at best. Even his Ďworstí games have been when most have played awful and seems he gets signalled out. Itís odd. Just like Saturday.. heís getting slated.. he played wide in a 4-4-2.. didnt play badly yet getting berated.. MacArthur who was also played out of position was toilet and some saying he was head and shoulders better than meyer.
Your obsessed with McArhtur. This thread is about Meyer. Both have been inconsistent this year and both have had their fair share of critics.

I can also understand however that Jimmy has had several years of consistently good service to the club and will probably be given, and rightly so, a bit more slack.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale View Post
i would have Jimmy Mac in my team over Meyer any day. Meyer at the moment is a very good back up.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 AM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There have been loads of examples of players coming to Palace and not producing their best stuff until the second season and beyond (Jedi and Murray recent examples). Hopefully Max can do that given he has had experience of the premier league and will get a full pre season. There is clearly a lot of talent there.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyd View Post
Your obsessed with McArhtur. This thread is about Meyer. Both have been inconsistent this year and both have had their fair share of critics.

I can also understand however that Jimmy has had several years of consistently good service to the club and will probably be given, and rightly so, a bit more slack.
How am I obsessed with MacArthur.. he is the only fair comparison from the weekend.

I love jimmy. Doesnít mean he canít be criticised
Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyd View Post
The away record isnt any better.
I was referring to the home record which is better with Max in the side.

They have been games vs Everton, Huddesfield, Cardiff, Burnley, Leicester and Spurs. Only 1 top 7 team. So more winnable games than average. And the Huddesfield game we were poor until he came off at 0-0. Besides all this is a tiny sample to suggest one player making all the difference.
We have also played Southampton, Newcastle, Wolves, Watford, Fulham, West Ham and Brighton at home where he has not started and we have 1 win and 5 points from those 7 games.

Out of the home games he has played i would have hoped to get at least 11 points and we have.

Out of the games he hasn't started i would have hoped to have got 15/16 points - IMO it is clear to see where the disappointing element of our season has been. IMO the results clearly show it and i think MM not starting is a reasonable reason for it.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
McArthur is a far more influential player then Meyer has been. McArthur is far more suited to this division than Meyer. McArthur is in the team on merit.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
How am I obsessed with MacArthur.. he is the only fair comparison from the weekend.

I love jimmy. Doesnít mean he canít be criticised
To be fair you do like to criticise McArthur in favour of Meyer. Every time Meyer is called upon he is nowhere near the player promised. Even being played out of position you would hope to see glimpses of the so called wonder kid.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post
McArthur is a far more influential player then Meyer has been. McArthur is far more suited to this division than Meyer. McArthur is in the team on merit.
This season for sure, I just donít know how long his legs have got and the quality of his influence going forwards.

Heís not good enough to start in a 2 in midfield.
Heís not a winger/wide MF
Heís not creative enough for a No.10
So what is he?

The answer is a great versatile squad player.

If we want to move forwards he needs replacing.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post
To be fair you do like to criticise McArthur in favour of Meyer. Every time Meyer is called upon he is nowhere near the player promised. Even being played out of position you would hope to see glimpses of the so called wonder kid.
Because he the closest player of comparison. MacArthur hasn’t been very good this year imo.. but like meyer he hasn’t been used right. Wish when they both played they were played where they should play.
So called wonderkid by football manager bums nobody else. If you can’t see he clearly has ability then I question what you actually watch. Has he been as good as he could he.. god no.. nowhere near.. is that all his fault.. no. Does he deserve the or stick he gets on here... no.. but it doesn’t surprise me.. the two most recent examples of this happening is with cabaye (who I defended at the time) and with pva. Don’t get our fan base sometimes
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Because he the closest player of comparison. MacArthur hasnít been very good this year imo.. but like meyer he hasnít been used right. Wish when they both played they were played where they should play.
So called wonderkid by football manager bums nobody else. If you canít see he clearly has ability then I question what you actually watch. Has he been as good as he could he.. god no.. nowhere near.. is that all his fault.. no. Does he deserve the or stick he gets on here... no.. but it doesnít surprise me.. the two most recent examples of this happening is with cabaye (who I defended at the time) and with pva. Donít get our fan base sometimes
Over the whole season:

Tackles - McArthur 1 every 36 minutes, Meyer every 44
Interceptions - McArthur 1 every 90 minutes, Meyer every 94
Passes - McArthur 1 every 2.25 minutes, Meyer every 2.15
Accuracy - McArthur at 78.6%, Meyer at 83.4%
Chance creation - McArthur 1 every 100 minutes, Meyer every 70
Shots at goal - McArthur 1 every 90 minutes, Meyer every 38 minutes
Assists - McArthur 1 every 580 minutes, Meyer every 655
Goals - McArthur 1 every 964, Meyer every 1313
xG - McArthur 4.3, Meyer 1.82
xA - McArthur 3.28, Meyer 0.85

Overall there is not much between them, if anything McArthur is getting into the more advanced positions and should have scored more goals than he has (Meyer should too) and both benefit from others finishing chances they might not be expected to to boost their assist tally.

IMO Jimmy had a great 1st half of the season but has struggled more as the year has gone on, Meyer is learning and adapting and is getting better as the season has progressed.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:50 AM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
Watch McArthur's positioning off the ball and his body shape when defending or covering. He always puts in that extra 5-10% of effort to disrupt the opposition.

Max can learn an awful lot from Jimmy.