Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 24-10-2018, 06:09 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
And while I'm at it... this one v Wealdstone on May 5th 1967 was my first ever "proper" football match. I remember being quite nervous going thinking there would be a big heaving crowd and I might get crushed... boy did I have a surprise!

Bromley won this one 3-1 BTW. Looking at the league table... poor old Dulwich!
Old 24-10-2018, 06:13 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
I went to that!
Was this the game John Jackson ended up playing center forward? I know he did one time during a game at Bromley.

Remember thinking he was bloody hopeless and should stick to playing in goal.

I had forgotten all about Medhurst! Used to be a decent store from what I remember.
Old 24-10-2018, 06:20 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That's amazing..Just what I was thinking...Medhurst!

Don't remember too much about the game itself other than it was in the evening but I do remember afterwards being able to just go into the stand and go near the dressing room area and and speak to to Bert Head.

I'll definitely try and see the film now...
Old 24-10-2018, 06:25 PM
The Spiky One

And good old Francis Chappell & Sons. Took care of all my family's undertaker needs.

Isn't Motorway Tyre Services still there? And I assume Victory Motors became Bristol Street Motors.

I digress...
Old 24-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Dug around and found only one from that season, and it was a pre-season friendly v Palace played August 4th 1969. From my "log book" Palace won 6-1 evidently.

I believe Alan Stonebridge is one of the central characters in the movie.

A strong Palace team there that was about to embark on their first top flight season.
He is indeed, ‘Stoney’ as they keep calling him. The first game they feature is a pre-season friendly v West Ham in 1969

Great stuff HH!! Keep them coming.

I remember ‘Medhursts’ from the advert, but only because my mum and Nan were always going on about it when I was a kid
Old 24-10-2018, 06:57 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I remember ‘Medhursts’ from the advert, but only because my mum and Nan were always going on about it when I was a kid
It was where Allders was, which is now Primark I understand.

I seem to recall they had a Santa's Grotto there at Christmas, and maybe school uniforms.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:02 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
He is indeed, ‘Stoney’ as they keep calling him. The first game they feature is a pre-season friendly v West Ham in 1969
Looks like West Ham beat Bromley 3-1 on August 31st (per the programme), but that can't be right as the Palace game is August 4th. One of the two dates must be wrong unless they had some kind of time machine... well Dr. Who was very popular at the time.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Looks like West Ham beat Bromley 3-1 on August 31st (per the programme), but that can't be right as the Palace game is August 4th. One of the two dates must be wrong unless they had some kind of time machine... well Dr. Who was very popular at the time.
I think that must be a miss print, probably July 31st, or maybe you’re right, the Tardis is bigger on the inside and both teams would fit in comfortably.

Oh is that where Medhursts was? I remember Allders more as I was a bit older. I ended up getting married in the church behind
Old 24-10-2018, 07:28 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Oh is that where Medhursts was? I remember Allders more as I was a bit older. I ended up getting married in the church behind
Amazing what you could buy at Allders!

Back on subject I see Eric Nottage in the team that day - he was the guy that stuck in my mind as the star player for some reason.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Looks like West Ham beat Bromley 3-1 on August 31st (per the programme), but that can't be right as the Palace game is August 4th. One of the two dates must be wrong unless they had some kind time machine
Blimey, that's a spooky comment as there is/was a blue plaque for H.G Wells on the Medhursts building!! Must have been whooshed I guess?

Last edited by Sleeping Giant; 24-10-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:39 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Blimey, that's a spooky comment as there is/was a blue plaque for H.G Wells on the Medhursts building!!
Oh yeah - forgot about that.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:56 PM

RobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
And good old Francis Chappell & Sons. Took care of all my family's undertaker needs.

Isn't Motorway Tyre Services still there? And I assume Victory Motors became Bristol Street Motors.

I digress...
I don't know about the others but the funeral directors is still there but it seems to have been bought by a bigger company since then.
Old 25-10-2018, 12:39 AM

StonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonePenge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Looks like I can get the DVD on Amazon here, but not a download yet.

Also BBS member Monkey has just got the DVD, so should be reporting in soon.

Thanks for the insight Flinty - I'm looking forward to seeing it for the reasons you give.
The only DVD I saw onAmazon was for EU only. Let me know when you see one playable in the US.
Old 25-10-2018, 03:17 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonePenge View Post
The only DVD I saw onAmazon was for EU only. Let me know when you see one playable in the US.
Oh yeah... I didn't notice that. Region 2 only.

I thought we were past all that, and this region issue went out with VCR tapes.

I have a couple of DVD's from England (Palace related) and they work just fine.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:28 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Amazing what you could buy at Allders!

First time I met a Palace player was in Allders. Paul Hinshelwood was doing a sign in there. I was unbelievably nervous getting his autograph. Still got it.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 25-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
And while I'm at it... this one v Wealdstone on May 5th 1967 was my first ever "proper" football match. I remember being quite nervous going thinking there would be a big heaving crowd and I might get crushed... boy did I have a surprise!

Bromley won this one 3-1 BTW. Looking at the league table... poor old Dulwich!
Must've been a lot of petrolheads in the crowd!
Old 25-10-2018, 03:17 PM
The Spiky One

Going way off subject here, but how did those old phone numbers work? Example: The Grove Park Service Station KIP 4422... Did you dial KIP using 547 on the dial? And if you were in the same location (KIP) could you just dial the last four numbers only to reach a neighbour?

I know I'm old enough to know this, but in my defense we didn't have a phone at home until about 1978 when it was all numbers.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:31 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Going way off subject here, but how did those old phone numbers work? Example: The Grove Park Service Station KIP 4422... Did you dial KIP using 547 on the dial? And if you were in the same location (KIP) could you just dial the last four numbers only to reach a neighbour?

I know I'm old enough to know this, but in my defense we didn't have a phone at home until about 1978 when it was all numbers.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 25-10-2018, 05:34 PM
The Spiky One

Thanks - as I suspected.
Old 25-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Sounds good. I'll watch that when it comes round on Sky. As an aside I remember Nicholson's, Army & Navy and C&A in Bromley High St as well as Medhursts. My dad tells me he went to see Bromley at Wembley in the 1949 Amateur Cup Final.