Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodds View Post

So i'm just interested to know the following:

1. If you are retired already, what age did you retire at?

2. If you're not retired, what age do you realistically think your be able to?

3. To those that have retired, is it all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks
1. 60
2. na
3. Yes, it's brilliant, but you need enough dosh not to have to worry about it, a nice wife and hobbies.
Mine are golf, walking the dog, gardening & holidays.
Oh, and CPFC of course !
Old 04-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
If you join Coober Pedy golf course you get reciprocal rights at St Andrews, only golf course in the world to have this right. Bit of an amazing true fact that one.

I think the groundsman needs to readjust the blade height on his mower.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I never thought I'd find such a desolate barren place as Coober Pedy so interesting, we stayed there 4 days. All you can see is dead horizon with next to no vegetation whatsoever and then blow me down, up pop some Emus.... gawd knows what they live on.

Almost 3,000 people live there and it's a thriving community.... unreal place.

Woomera isn't that far away either.... Which is a lot like Milton Keynes in the Desert... I kid you not.

Uluru and Kings Canyon are positively lush in comparison.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:24 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Will you still be playing the worlds top golf courses in your retirement?
No that's only because of work. I know it sounds wanky but it really doesn't mean that much to me. I am happy playing anywhere.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
If you are down Glos way I'll sign you in for a round at my club Stinchcombe Hill if you like.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:15 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Right I've pulled the plug, I finish permanent full time employment in 4 days time, after working most days since 1967 (I've included 3 years as a paper boy in that as I worked at least 5 days a week before I left school)

Probably the most exciting time for me since I migrated to Aus back in 1980.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my time, except for lots of travelling. May have to downsize, not sure yet. Probably wont get a Government Pension when I'm due one in 15 months time on my 66th because of the Australian means test. Which isn't a bad position to be in actually.

My biggest aim is to try and live without a car. I think that is true freedom. We don't have to own one where we live, because of the cheapness of "ride" share like Uber and Didi etc. Plus there are four "car" share sites (go get etc) in our street, so I may take advantage of those.

There is a caveat, we do own a CamperVan.... Toyota Hi Ace poptop.., but that is for travelling not day to day "having" to use one to survive type living.

Feeling proud that I got to this stage, health intact. Been on night shift since 2001 so it's big thing to get through.

Now lets see how we go and whether we can really achieve that goal of not "having" to own a car due to the plentiful transport options of where we live.

See you at Selhurst next year

Chuffed as all hell.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 05-11-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Well done OzzieEagle!! I'm still about 20 years off, so I can't even begin to think about all that time, but what a nice situation to be in, you can have a whole new life!!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and singÖ and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Iím 41. Iím aiming to retire at 50, or more realistically whenever we have the net assets (house pensions, savings and investments) to be able to do it and have the lifestyle we want.
I thought about this, not so much retire at 50, but be in the position to take a step back and do a relatively stress free job that would be better for my health and carry me through until I was ready to completely stop.

Alas I am 53 and this didn't happen.....yet!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Right I've pulled the plug, I finish permanent full time employment in 4 days time, after working most days since 1967 (I've included 3 years as a paper boy in that as I worked at least 5 days a week before I left school)

Not sure what I'm going to do with my time, except for lots of travelling. May have to downsize, not sure yet. Probably wont get a Government Pension when I'm due one in 15 months time on my 66th because of the Australian means test. Which isn't a bad position to be in actually.

My biggest aim is to try and live without a car. I think that is true freedom. We don't have to own one where we live, because of the cheapness of "ride" share like Uber and Didi etc. Plus there are four "car" share sites (go get etc) in our street, so I may take advantage of those.

There is a caveat, we do own a CamperVan.... Toyota Hi Ace poptop.., but that is for travelling not day to day "having" to use one to survive type living.

Feeling proud that I got to this stage, health intact. Been on night shift since 2001 so it's big thing to get through.

Now lets see how we go and whether we can really achieve that goal of not "having" to own a car due to the plentiful transport options of where we live.

Chuffed as all hell.

Well played Sir.

Swing by Prague on your travels and we'll revive the BBS A League thread over a few beers.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:40 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:

Chuffed as all hell.

Enjoy mate.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.

Only people with their own hair, need to apply.

Hell is coming to breakfast.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Evicted fron E Block

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Chuffed as all hell.

Well, done Sir - you won't regret it!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Congrats. My target remains 50. Not that i am counting down, have massive spreadsheets or am obsessed by it or anything
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Nice one Ozzie.

It’s a cliche I know, but I can’t think how I managed to fit it all in.

Best of luck with it.

Cricket wanker.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:24 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
1. Don't be silly.
2. 75.
3. I shall be too decrepit by then.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljim View Post
I thought about this, not so much retire at 50, but be in the position to take a step back and do a relatively stress free job that would be better for my health and carry me through until I was ready to completely stop.

Alas I am 53 and this didn't happen.....yet!

I also plan to take a step back at 50. Hate my job... shift work is a killer... canít wait to have a little stress free part-time job... with regular hours (so important).
To achieve this Iíve set myself a target of saving 3k a month for the next 5 years. After 5 years I will have £195k. I will be able to clear mortgage on my residential property, and buy two more rentals. I have a little black book... with monthly targets, I only started in September.. but so far.. Iíve managed to keep on track (9k - sept/oct/November). The next 5 years are going to be a absolute slog... but if I didnít have a exit strategy... something to work towards... I think I wouldnít be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Sodís law.... I drop dead on 50th Birthday.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I also plan to take a step back at 50. Hate my job... shift work is a killer... canít wait to have a little stress free part-time job... with regular hours (so important).
To achieve this Iíve set myself a target of saving 3k a month for the next 5 years. After 5 years I will have £195k. I will be able to clear mortgage on my residential property, and buy two more rentals. I have a little black book... with monthly targets, I only started in September.. but so far.. Iíve managed to keep on track (9k - sept/oct/November). The next 5 years are going to be a absolute slog... but if I didnít have a exit strategy... something to work towards... I think I wouldnít be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Sodís law.... I drop dead on 50th Birthday.
Stick with it.

(In all seriousness youíll be pretty overexposed to property though and the arse is going to get taxes out of residential letters. Iíd think about another form of investment as well as property to spread the risk).
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
People should use their massive cuts in mortgage payments to save more for retirement. Then you have options.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Stick with it.

(In all seriousness youíll be pretty overexposed to property though and the arse is going to get taxes out of residential letters. Iíd think about another form of investment as well as property to spread the risk).

Iím not sure what else there is out there to invest in. Iíll probably only have 150k to invest (after mortgage paid off)... itís not a huge amount to get a income from.

I was thinking 75k each on two properties worth 140-150k. (I donít live in London). Iím hoping Iíll stay under the tax threshold and avoid any big tax hits.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I’m not sure what else there is out there to invest in. I’ll probably only have 150k to invest (after mortgage paid off)... it’s not a huge amount to get a income from.

I was thinking 75k each on two properties worth 140-150k. (I don’t live in London). I’m hoping I’ll stay under the tax threshold and avoid any big tax hits.
Well given your job I would imagine you have a fairly healthy final salary pension. At least you are not exposed to any risk on that. You get what you get whatever happens. Nice place to be.

So broadly you will have a protected pension and then everything else in property. Which means if the property market tanks then ouch. You might choose to invest some of your savings in a shares ISA which will be more tax efficient and spreads your risk across something more than just property. Further I would imagine that there are probably ISAs out there that focus on property investment so you might be able to get a better result from a tax point of view but still be in property if that’s what you want.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Since '67

Thanks for the good wishes guys, it's a great feeling already, even though I've still got 4 long nights left, which currently feel like the longest night shifts ever.