Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-01-2019, 11:58 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
The uni fees are down to the student but the accommodation is down to the parents unless the student can get a grant or bursary, which most won't.

Given that people are having children later in life, it does put a bit of a burden on parents when they probably should be thinking about retirement because sure as f*ck, your kids won't be helping you out then.

Nevertheless, they're your kids and you'll always try and do your best for them.
Old 21-01-2019, 12:07 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
It is interesting how many of us on this site have either retired early, or working to retire early, yet the club that binds us together is being managed by a man of 72, The President of the USA is 72, and most leading Democrats are into their 70's. Theresa May is 62, Jeremy Corbyn is 69...

What is the drive and motivation these people have that the BBS appears to lack?

To answer my own question I would say the common denominator is the need for power, apart from Hodgson, who I believe does do it for love.
Old 21-01-2019, 12:26 AM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
It is interesting how many of us on this site have either retired early, or working to retire early, yet the club that binds us together is being managed by a man of 72, The President of the USA is 72, and most leading Democrats are into their 70's. Theresa May is 62, Jeremy Corbyn is 69...

What is the drive and motivation these people have that the BBS appears to lack?

To answer my own question I would say the common denominator is the need for power, apart from Hodgson, who I believe does do it for love.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-01-2019, 01:11 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorBlimey View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Well that went over my head!

(I guess that proves the point...)
Old 21-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I wasn’t aware that anyone took Maslow seriously any more. Apart from to add “WiFi” and “battery” at the bottom, obviously
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 21-01-2019, 06:15 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
I'm 66 .Have a small business (just me) which is busy from spring till after
Easter. Don't mind it as it keeps me busy and I like to not be bored. Mrs KM is not 60 till later this year and does not want to retire. We do two holidays a year ,last year 7 weeks in UK / Europe. Speaking to blokes I know are fully retired seems bloody boring to me. When someone says grocery shopping is something to look forward to I know I'll keep going for a bit longer. Mind you I get a state pension and private one from the UK so I aint complaining about retirement.
Old 21-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:

All of the others, apart from Roy, are obsessed with power.

Roy doesn’t like change (see his approach to substitutes) and retiring would be change
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 21-01-2019, 08:12 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
I wasn’t aware that anyone took Maslow seriously any more. Apart from to add “WiFi” and “battery” at the bottom, obviously

People still love it. Interestingly I think Maslow’s hierarchy acts in much the same way as is later attributed to religion and work - it reassures people that they don’t need to think about what’s going on.

Frankl - also very popular with the same crowd - seems to completely undermine Maslow (if the lack of any evidence wasn’t enough already).

Still, as the author (journalist?) claims, its a useful theory (??!!)
Old 21-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
People still love it. Interestingly I think Maslow’s hierarchy acts in much the same way as is later attributed to religion and work - it reassures people that they don’t need to think about what’s going on.

Frankl - also very popular with the same crowd - seems to completely undermine Maslow (if the lack of any evidence wasn’t enough already).

Still, as the author (journalist?) claims, its a useful theory (??!!)
Am interesting discussion if someone could spin off another thread on it so as not to derail this one
Old 21-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Retirement

Back on topic, I went 4d/week when I was 37 when my daughter was born, left my corporate management role with a payoff at 41, moved out of London and paid off the mortgage. Been part time in education, combined with some consulting and training ever since. A lot of the time relying on savings etc. Now 57 and will probably continue till I get the teaching pension and state pension at 67. I have another one that starts to pay at 60 but it’s not nearly enough to live on and will be supporting daughters education for a few years.

So I chose ‘self actualisation’ early on. I really would want to do everything I do if I were retired- just maybe less of it.

Now my friends are retiring, I’ll make no pretence, I’m jealous of their greater freedom, and in many cases, wealth. But that’s the choice I made.

ps partners pension provision is pitiful, so we could have done better there, but she also chose her ‘right path’

Last edited by Away; 21-01-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 21-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:

I think part of it is the feeling of being relevant, that your effort and contributions have value (financially rewarded and otherwise).

Those jobs are more than jobs really....whereas people stuck in a mundane office role with a commute to work aren’t getting that fulfilment and don’t feel the same motivation to work for longer than necessary. In some cases they also have other commitments (eg family) which they’d like to prioritise. This might be childcare, or looking after a parent. People on high income can often buy that help in, but others can find it makes more sense to do more of it themselves.
Old 21-01-2019, 09:12 AM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
After 40 of years of working, the best thing about retirement in my experience is freedom. Freedom to do what you want, when you want. The best thing that happened to me at 18 years old was I had no choice but to be in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme. A blessing indeed!

The pre-requisite is good health and having the wherewithal. If you are also independent from not being bound by a partner's or another dependent's commitments, you'll likely enjoy a plateau of contentment.

Happiness is a more temporary experience than contentment and generally fleeting.

Thankfully I am content in my retirement and I wish all others coming to retirement or those already there the very best.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:19 AM

StevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I retired 12 years ago, at 58, then returned a few months later to work as a consultant in the same field (local authority accounting), working for about half time in all. I finally retired late last year. I really enjoyed my post retirement career - with a decent pension behind me I had no worries about redundancies etc. And also, oddly, no worries about being too old for the job - I could have carried on longer.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:34 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Not sure, but maybe they don't have my knees, tennis elbow, bad back and gout attacks

But overseeing things, managing performance to see a return must give them a buzz still.

Last edited by Penstone Eagle; 21-01-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:49 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
As an actuary you'd expect me to spend 90% of my time thinking about retirement and you'd be correct

I'm early 50s and like most others retirement for me will be working part time / when I want with hopefully no pressure !! My logic is:

1. at 60 I get a bit of FS pension plus so does Mrs EJ
2. Hopefully the mortgage will all be paid off
3. The kids will be net neutral (ie they are welcome to live with us and I'll even drive them to the football but I'm not paying for their shoes !!)
4. no need to save for the rainy day since it is the rainy day
5. State pension of c18K pa kicks in c7 years after that
6. I will still earn a bit of money even if its adding some nos up for someone or working in a shop !
7. money only reqd for council tax, bills, scoff, beer, holidays and Palace

So the question is, re #7 how much do we genuinely think we need for a couple to live reasonably
Old 21-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
I'm 66 .Have a small business (just me) which is busy from spring till after
Easter. Don't mind it as it keeps me busy and I like to not be bored. Mrs KM is not 60 till later this year and does not want to retire. We do two holidays a year ,last year 7 weeks in UK / Europe. Speaking to blokes I know are fully retired seems bloody boring to me. When someone says grocery shopping is something to look forward to I know I'll keep going for a bit longer. Mind you I get a state pension and private one from the UK so I aint complaining about retirement.

Whoaaa food for thought for this Aus based expat in that. You have to be in a certain position to fully forgo the Aussie state pension. That is 880K for a single to 1.2 Mill for a couple in assets beyond the family home. I actually hadn't factored in the UK non means tested component of my UK minimum pension as I've been here 38 years and totally figured my UK state minimum component wasn't worth worrying about, in fact an irritating complicating factor. as they just deduct it from the Aus Government pension...... Especially as my private pension is only 700 quid a year or 24K cashed in, which I'm looking at doing right now.

You sure you want to give up your Aus government Pension card rights and all the benefits that come with that? Low rego, cheap prescriptions, and other benefits etc... Or are you way beyond that 1.2 Mill in assets (beyond the family home) for a couple figure? You could be better of actually upsizing in that situ.... Obviously I dont expect you to answer but it's something that everyone on the edge of the aussie pension means test needs to think seriously about.

I would be way beyond that figure as well (If I sold the family home and bought the caravan and 4WD) if I went totally Grey Nomad, which I was looking at and dismissing because it means I lose all those suplimentary Australian pension rights.

Anyway got a lot to say on retirement as a whole. IE: it's probably a good idea for most to work at least a little bit part time beyond pension age. Proven Life Longevity being the most beneficial aspect.

I've been studying retirement full on for the last 24 months or so now. Especially as Aus Post keep moving the goal posts on promised 6 figure packages for the last 3 years or so and are still at it.

I start 5 months Long Service Leave next week and may leave despite my employers promise of a 6 figure package and tear myself away from the "golden handcuffs"

As far as I'm concerned being on the cusp of retirement is just about the most exciting thing in my life so far. Right up there with Marriage, Migration and having kids. Never in my life have I had so many avenues to choose from... it's all a bit daunting actually.

Ive looked at and considered, being a grey nomad full time, easy to do in Aus..... Moving to Bali..... Living 5 months in the UK (Or elsewhere in Europe, thats complicated because of my Aus Born wife) Downsizing here in Aus and having a Cunard type lifestyle...Well PandO at least. The list goes on and on. So I'll be glued to this topic for inspiration.

Thanks for putting it up.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 21-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 21-01-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
At what point will the state pension be abolished? Is their a date penciled in as to when the age goes up to 70 yet?
Old 21-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
At what point will the state pension be abolished? Is their a date penciled in as to when the age goes up to 70 yet?
In Australia that year is 2035 for age 70..... I'd say it has to be similar in the UK?
Old 21-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle View Post
mortgage paid off 3 years ago, my wife is younger than me and has a decent income. .
No one likes a show off!
Old 21-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Since '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
So the question is, re #7 how much do we genuinely think we need for a couple to live reasonably
That's different for everyone though eh.

IE: I've got a years RV driving holiday through the US on my bucket list. Except I'm shiit scared of driving on the right hand side of the road LOL. Would also love to do every major football derby in theworld... .including River Plate v Boca etc etc. Worlds your oyster when it comes to how much you need.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 21-01-2019 at 12:00 PM.