Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I tried watching women's football a few times. Firstly in the 90s when the quality was very bad. I think since the Olympics in 2012, professionalisation (look what it also did to mens rugby) and the promotion of the womens game in general the level has improved a lot. It is also great that women and girls are given the chance to do something that is so good for you in many ways (health and teamwork, sense of belonging etc). I shall be watching the world cup next month.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:09 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
I remember when trolls used to try. This is just lazy and sad.

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
How up your arse do you have to be to suggest that 'society would be further along (whatever that means), had we all been used to watching an inferior sport? Sport encourages masculine traits like aggression and competitiveness, not feminine traits such as nurturing, sensitivity and empathy. We would be in a far worse place socially had this been the case.
Starman. Joined the BBS in April 2018. Born in 1834.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 AM
moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
He must be a reincarnation of a previous BBS gammon?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I personally don't like women's football. I just find the game a lot slower moving and that there's just something missing from it, which I cannot put my finger on specifically.

I can say this as someone who has been to watch Palace ladies quite a few times, as family friends of ours are very involved with the first team.

To be fair, I also find a lot of foreign football (Spanish and Italian especially) quite boring as well. I guess I just like my simplistic up and at 'em English football really!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Nigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigel_Scarfer came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
At risk of being called a misogynist or Gammon, or whatever, I do find the amount of coverage devoted by Sky Sports News/BBC sport to Women's rugby and women's cricket bizarre.

These are absolute minority sports at best, both in terms of participation and viewing figures.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Scarfer View Post
At risk of being called a misogynist or Gammon, or whatever, I do find the amount of coverage devoted by Sky Sports News/BBC sport to Women's rugby and women's cricket bizarre.

These are absolute minority sports at best, both in terms of participation and viewing figures.
Is there a lot of money in it in terms of sponsorship?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:47 AM

I can't see it. The viewing figures must be in the 1000's at most.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
No, not for me.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:12 AM

PalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'll watch the Women's World Cup as it looks like the BBC are showing it...it's not too often that live games are on 'normal' tv these days.

It's obviously a different level to the men's game (especially the goalkeepers, I'm not sure why they're so easily beaten from long range shots?), but it's still competitive football that will have twists and emotion. I think my kids will like watching it too.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 AM
moist

Quote:

I think the BBC focus on less traditional women's sports as they are cheap and because the potential growth is huge. They have taken a similar approach with triathlon.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Simple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimple&Stupid : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
How up your arse do you have to be to suggest that 'society would be further along (whatever that means), had we all been used to watching an inferior sport? Sport encourages masculine traits like aggression and competitiveness, not feminine traits such as nurturing, sensitivity and empathy. We would be in a far worse place socially had this been the case.
Oh dear, I said Women's football would be further along (in its development) not society. Seems you either can't read or can't understand.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:29 AM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
Might be trolling but it does raise a fair point - I too am not interested. I would love my daughter to play and if she did i would watch all the games and it would be great. Women/Girls should definitely play football more IMO.

But as an entertainment I cant get it - Not found myself consumed by any of the womens games I have seen as yet. Maybe that will change this summer. I get the promotion of the event and the exposure but i dont think the level of sport is deserving of it, on that alone.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
You like watching multi millionaires being so precious about their levels of personal comfort while earning in excess of 100k for a weeks work, that they have to wear gloves in case their hands get chilly? Not the sort of 'die for the cause' attitude i want Palace players to exhibit frankly. And yes, Women's football (and sport frankly) is rubbish, and i'm not interested. They are welcome to play it as much as they like, and i hope they have a good time, but that does not alter the fact it is a terrible standard, and is being overly pushed on people for political purposes.
Sepp, is that you?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:39 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
I can't see it. The viewing figures must be in the 1000's at most.
Try 4 million, at least in the case of a big match like our euro semi vs Holland two years ago. To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 10-05-2019, 11:41 AM

mcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Personally I'm not for or against women's football, but I think this may be one of the things that turns people off it - there seems to be a media campaign to force it down people's throats in the past year or two. There's a find line between promoting it, and going over the top.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:41 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I'm not at all interested in women's football. Like, PI, I would like my daughter to get involved when she's older, but it's quite frankly, terrible.

Strangely, I work with a fella that goes to watch women's football all the time with his mates. Completely differently to me, he has zero interest in the men's pro games and wouldn't have a clue which teams are in which division. That said, he is onto a slight winner as he pays about a fiver per game.

I'll try and get into the world cup in the summer though. Only due to the fact the real football is not on (apart from the Nation's league).
Old 10-05-2019, 11:45 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Might be trolling but it does raise a fair point - I too am not interested. I would love my daughter to play and if she did i would watch all the games and it would be great. Women/Girls should definitely play football more IMO.

But as an entertainment I cant get it - Not found myself consumed by any of the womens games I have seen as yet. Maybe that will change this summer. I get the promotion of the event and the exposure but i dont think the level of sport is deserving of it, on that alone.
I don’t really get the ‘entertainment’ angle. There’s no way I’d have started supporting palace if I was that fussed about entertainment, and I would’ve given up on england long before the Southgate revolution. You watch your country or you club because it’s your country or club, and you have a deeper connection. I’d agree that women’s football isn’t good enough for me to bother watching as a neutral, outside of maybe a World Cup final or if Brazil’s Marta is playing (look her up of you don’t know her, absolute baller). But I tuned into our under 15s the other night because they’re representing palace, despite the quality being ‘poor.’ Same applies for the Lionesses or Palace ladies for me.

And despite me laying out these reasons for watching despite the ‘entertainment’ not being as good as the men's game, it’s still there. There’s still nice passes, nice goals, good dribbles etc

Last edited by CP-RJW; 10-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

How much coverage is there of these sports then? In terms of output of every sport under the sun, genuinely, do these get a lot? At peak times? I would suggest not very often.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceForever View Post
(especially the goalkeepers, I'm not sure why they're so easily beaten from long range shots?),
Iíll agree with you on that one to be fair, the goalkeepers are often irredeemably and quite comedically terrible