Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 13-06-2019, 10:46 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Although its highly likely in the case of a General Election or 2nd Referendum that the EU would extend the deadline to accommodate.
IF they are asked, and only the PM can do that. If the PM wants no deal, they don't have to ask for an extension - THAT was what Parliament was trying to deal with yesterday i think.
Old 13-06-2019, 10:48 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
This sums up Jeremy Hunt!

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Skin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Having seen a few of his recent speeches and his leadership launch I must ask and please bear in mind I was out of the country at the time, social media was less of a thing and I wasn't following UK politics as much.

How on earth did he win London twice? Was he more coherent then? Better public image? Was Ken hammered everyday? I cannot think of anyone (outside of JRM) less likely to carry the capital today.
Old 13-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Although its highly likely in the case of a General Election or 2nd Referendum that the EU would extend the deadline to accommodate.
But if Boris is PM, it doesn’t matter what the EU might offer if he opts for No Deal and lets us crash out before any GE?
Old 13-06-2019, 10:56 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
IF they are asked, and only the PM can do that. If the PM wants no deal, they don't have to ask for an extension - THAT was what Parliament was trying to deal with yesterday i think.
Would be a brave thing to do. That would bury the Tories for generations if they forced through a no deal Brexit after losing a vote of no confidence. Plus arguably lead to all manner of legal challenges.

I can see the Conservative party, voting with labour, to ensure that didn't happen in the case of a no confidence vote being successful.
Old 13-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
You would be fortunate to find anyone in the NHS who speaks highly of Hunt and lets not forget he had the Junior Doctors out on strike!
Thing is that I have a lot of teachers in my family - and you should hear them on Gove!
Old 13-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Would be a brave thing to do. That would bury the Tories for generations if they forced through a no deal Brexit after losing a vote of no confidence. Plus arguably lead to all manner of legal challenges.

I can see the Conservative party, voting with labour, to ensure that didn't happen in the case of a no confidence vote being successful.
What legal challenges? We would be out. Only way back in would be to apply as a 3rd country, ironically that would likely make the £350m claim come true and us having to ditch the £ for the € as well as losing veto's. The EU are unlikely to let us back in on current terms which would make rejoining a harder fight to win than the remain one.
Old 13-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Thing is that I have a lot of teachers in my family - and you should hear them on Gove!
Yup apparently he did ok with Justice and Environment but not very popular in Education.

Should be remembered though that they were all dealing with austerity politics and every party in 2010 would ave pursued austerity if they won.
Old 13-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Yes - it's a question of how it was applied, I think. For all the talk on whichever thread is running about how great grammar schools are, my sister is headmistress of a very high achieving comprehensive (Camden School for Girls), and has been for several years; and when she picks out a Minister of Education as especially incompetent and harmful to the state education system, I listen.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:23 PM
'What's for dinner?'

Max_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMax_Power came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Yes - it's a question of how it was applied, I think. For all the talk on whichever thread is running about how great grammar schools are, my sister is headmistress of a very high achieving comprehensive (Camden School for Girls), and has been for several years; and when she picks out a Minister of Education as especially incompetent and harmful to the state education system, I listen.
Thing is I was a teacher during Gove’s tenure and I despise everything he did as Secretary of State.

I’d still take him over Boris.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:32 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yup apparently he did ok with Justice and Environment but not very popular in Education.
How do we know?
Nobody stays in post long enough for a considered judgement to be made these days.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
This farce might as well just end. Crown Boris and be done with it so we can get on with all the other stuff that we aren't planning to get on with.

This proud nation will have this as the face of global Britain. This is the man that will meet with world leaders as the leader of our nation and have his photo taken at the G7 meetings etc. This is the man we will have in charge while the country is on the precipice of its biggest change in a generation. Fab.

Edit - Prime minister

Last edited by Hpalace; 13-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
How do we know?
Nobody stays in post long enough for a considered judgement to be made these days.
He did four years at education. He is remembered, not just for the cuts.
Old 13-06-2019, 05:07 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
Old 13-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Has Boris or any other candidate promised to increase the pensions of low paid private sector workers up to the same levels as the public sector, utilities or big financial corporations? If yes, vote for them for social justice reasons.
Old 13-06-2019, 05:15 PM
My source from Ocean Park

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Not being able to afford a private tutor is hardly 'feckless' is it? And what you seem to be espousing is an end to social mobility, so I think it's you who has missed the point.
Not at all but when grammars were everywhere very few employed private tutors. Its because of the shortage of places.
Do you know the number of successful pupils that have private tutors.
Old 13-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
Not being able to afford a private tutor is feckless? Jesus Christ.

The 11+ exam is a nonsense and if you've never come across verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests before they can look like gibberish even if you're the smartest kid in the room. You could just as easily call the whole national curriculum feckless if your criteria is whether or not it introduces kids to the content of the 11+ exam.

The other real issue, if you take the inequality of opportunity at the age of eleven out of the equation, is whether eleven is even a good age to make these judgments. What about the kids who blossom at 12, 13, 14 etc? As a former teacher I can guarantee you there were kids who didn't show their true potential until sixth form and yet the grammar school system would set them aside before they hit puberty.
Its nonsense to suggest that education is only available because you can't afford a private tutor. The problem is the shortage of grammar school places. Left wing political dogma destroyed that system with the nonsensical idea that merging grammars and secondary moderns would raise standards, it didn't. All it did was raise expectation.

As a result we have a mish mash of academies, free schools, madrasa's and other religious schools, a few grammars and other areas contained by fencing. As you say you have kids with private tutors and ffs kids having holy communion just to get to a decent school. Anything rather than the local Comp.

As for the kids that blossom later, are you saying the local Comp is incapable of helping them to reach their potential, if so I rest my case. Again the same mistake, the misguided concept of equality.

Finally, someone has to clean the bogs, let me know if anyone is going to do that in your Comprehensive utopia.
Old 13-06-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
Assuming that it's a good thing to push children, and assuming also that the best (however that is defined) can be selected at 11, why can't all school's push their pupils ?
You are Michael Gove and I claim my £5.

N.B. everybody hates you for suggesting things can be improved.
Old 13-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Not at all but when grammars were everywhere very few employed private tutors. Its because of the shortage of places.
Do you know the number of successful pupils that have private tutors.
Why would grammars being everywhere stop people using private tutors?

I'm still waiting for some actual evidence that grammar schools improve social mobility.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 13-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Cray Valley was a good example of a technical school.