Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Tumescent member

Cityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCityside : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding, David Hume. Especially the section 'on miracles'. Doubt everything!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Has anyone read any on the shortlist this year?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Not I.
Reading Charles Mingus’s autobiography. It seems to me to be a very great book, up there with Colours of my Life as a history of a time told through a voice. I suppose it helps if you hold the subject in the highest esteem as a musician, which I do - but the book itself is so mad, and alive, dirty, hilarious, nasty and dark. Like his music, really, and, what’s the phrase? - not for the faint hearted.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Others by James Herbert. Chap at work said this is a classic book, I never heard of James Herbert.....I live and I learn
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Lloyd Bradley - Bass Culture
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Otis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge View Post
Others by James Herbert. Chap at work said this is a classic book, I never heard of James Herbert.....I live and I learn
Remember reading him back in the 80's. The Rats was the stand out.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Otis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
If you mean Don Winslow then yeah his border trilogy is great. I'd defo recommend you read them.
Just started The Force, my first Winslow book. A good read so far.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 12-09-2019, 11:47 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I took a long time to read but thoroughly enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Great characters and a great story. I have heard his follow up books are not as good but I will probably read them.

This morning I started The Regeneration Trilogy - Pat Barker. It is meant to be a WW1 masterpiece.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanet Eagle View Post
Also the main source of literary smut when I was a teenager.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 12-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Eli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEli Cash : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sara Pascoe: Sex Power Money. More a book for the 'laydees' than a man of my advancing years but I'm enjoying it all the same.

Last edited by Eli Cash; 12-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:22 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanet Eagle View Post
The Rats, The Fog The Survivor (my fave) Fluke , the Spear and Lair were all enjoyed in my teenage years

SaulAlinsky
Old 12-09-2019, 12:28 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Also the main source of literary smut when I was a teenager.
usually somewhere around page 80

SaulAlinsky
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Cash View Post
Sara Pascoe: Sex Power Money. More a book for the 'laydees' than a man of my advancing years but I'm enjoying it all the same.
I listened to an interview with her promoting this book and it sounded quite interesting but not at £12, I'll wait and pick it up in a few months.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Margret Atwoods 'The Testaments'

Read the Handmaids Tale when I was studying to go to Uni (age 24) and it had the same impact on me as 1984 (except maybe more relevent). Been somewhat into feminist literature ever since.

I'd forgotten just how much I love her prose style.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:10 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
The Rats, The Fog The Survivor (my fave) Fluke , the Spear and Lair were all enjoyed in my teenage years
Loved them in my teenage years, and esp the approx page 80 smut scene but I think its something of its time. Tried to re-read some of them a few years back and its definately a bit 'knock off British Stephen King', but at least the guy could write (well except the part of The Spear, which he stole).

That said, the man had an great imagination, the Rats trilogy is definately a stand out (and deserves a decent adaption).

I'd probably still be creeped out by the Rats, Lair and Domain.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:23 PM
I'm just cheese

davemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is heredavemorris04 Sam the man is here
Just started Brighton Rock
Old 12-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Loved them in my teenage years, and esp the approx page 80 smut scene but I think its something of its time. Tried to re-read some of them a few years back and its definately a bit 'knock off British Stephen King', but at least the guy could write (well except the part of The Spear, which he stole).

That said, the man had an great imagination, the Rats trilogy is definately a stand out (and deserves a decent adaption).

I'd probably still be creeped out by the Rats, Lair and Domain.
I recall school friends being disappointed by the lack of ultra violence and smut in Fluke.
the lack of decent film adaptations was galling. There was a film of the Survivor which had Jenny Agutter in it (set in Australia as opposed to Windsor and Eaton)which was risable.

SaulAlinsky

Last edited by weltklasse; 12-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:40 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorris04 View Post
I know I've said it before but I really don't think it's one of Greene's better books. Just about to start "The Power and the Glory" which is supposed to be well skill, but need to finish off "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Tempest" first.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
I know I've said it before but I really don't think it's one of Greene's better books. Just about to start "The Power and the Glory" which is supposed to be well skill, but need to finish off "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Tempest" first.
I had to rediscover Graham Greene having been left cold by his short stories as a teenager. I read 'Our Man in Havana' and couldn't believe how artfully it was written. Then recently I read 'The Power and the Glory' and thought it was boring and grim (though perhaps that's testament to Greene's ability to articulate hopelessness).
Old 12-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Otis

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorris04 View Post
One of my all-time favourites.

Paul Weller