Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 29-10-2019, 02:42 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
I am trying to think of a legitimate reason as to why people with 'settled status' should not be allowed to vote in the next election, given they have very recently been granted 'settled status' and the right to permanently reside, pay tax and have conveniently recently supplied the government with their ID and home address.
I don't disagree.

I am asking the question as to whether it is possible to ensure all of them are able to have a vote in 6 weeks time?

If we were talking the next election 6 months a year or more down the line then i would agree, but is it possible. I don't know, and i doubt anyone on here does either.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:43 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
In case you missed it, if you are 16 or 17 you can join the army but you cannot be sent to a war zone until you are 18.

You can have a child at any age it is biologically possible to have a child.

You can pay tax at any age.
I'm aware of that but you can still be in the army. You can only legally have a child at 16 upwards and rightly so. Also you can pay tax at any age, but you can only work from 16 and pay tax on wages.

I assume you would agree with EU citizens getting the vote?
Old 29-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Or a Corbynite.

And yes it does mean they shouldn’t be allowed the vote unless there is a reason you have to allow them the vote, like they are legally an adult. We have to let Brexiters and Corbynites vote if they are legally adults despite their obvious issues. We don’t have to do that with people who are not legally adults.

But we will tax them and allow them to join the army. Righto.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Or a Corbynite.

And yes it does mean they shouldn’t be allowed the vote unless there is a reason you have to allow them the vote, like they are legally an adult. We have to let Brexiters and Corbynites vote if they are legally adults despite their obvious issues. We don’t have to do that with people who are not legally adults.

It’s the Corbynites that have saved this country from a Brexit shitshow.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
In case you missed it, if you are 16 or 17 you can join the army but you cannot be sent to a war zone until you are 18.

You can have a child at any age it is biologically possible to have a child.

You can pay tax at any age.
True

True, but someone will have broken the law.

True, but 16 and 17 year olds pay National Insurance, under-16s wouldn't. (I think.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 29-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
According to Sky, amendments on 16/17 year olds and EU nationals are expected to get ruled out of order. I don't know why.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 29-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
True

True, but someone will have broken the law.

True, but 16 and 17 year olds pay National Insurance, under-16s wouldn't. (I think.)
1. Thank you
2. Probably but Social services do not automatically remove children from teenage parents, so should 15 year old Chloe now be allowed a vote?
3. It depends how much they earn. If they are over the threshold they pay tax. I am not aware of any legislation that says no tax for the under 16s. Do you think Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson paid no tax when they earned all those millions as child actors?

We have an age of majority for a reason. It might be silly that it is 18 as opposed to some other age or point in life, but it is there for a reason.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I don't disagree.

I am asking the question as to whether it is possible to ensure all of them are able to have a vote in 6 weeks time?

If we were talking the next election 6 months a year or more down the line then i would agree, but is it possible. I don't know, and i doubt anyone on here does either.
I appreciate the government is shit at IT but surely it wouldn't take a genius to download the names and addresses on one data base and transfer them to another.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:54 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don't disagree.

If the amendments were passed to allow 16 year olds and settled residents to vote then presumably it would be impossible to agree the legislation and get the new voters registered in time.

To my mind that would mean the election couldn't take place on 12 December. Maybe that is the twist.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 29-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
According to Sky, amendments on 16/17 year olds and EU nationals are expected to get ruled out of order. I don't know why.
Unenforceable in the timeframe would be my guess.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:56 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Thanks for that. I am not sure whether I like it as a principle or not.

I have zero problem with dual nationality. My gut feeling I think though is if you reside in one country that is where your 'vote' should be.

Likewise you wouldn't wish to pay income tax in two countries, or do dual national service for example.
I have worked and paid taxes (not income tax) in two countries in one year, several times. And once 3 countries, where i did pay two lots of income tax. Americans working abroad always do this. I find the idea that you can only have a stake in one country extremely old fashioned. The modern world is far more fluid and layered than that.

Last edited by chelmsfordeagle; 29-10-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
3. It depends how much they earn. If they are over the threshold they pay tax. I am not aware of any legislation that says no tax for the under 16s. Do you think Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson paid no tax when they earned all those millions as child actors?
I agreed they paid tax - I said they don't pay National Insurance.

Old 29-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
It’s the Corbynites that have saved this country from a Brexit shitshow.
I do appreciate Corbynites like to give Corbyn credit for things that are nothing to do with him, but claiming credit for something that hasn’t happened (we’re not saved, we might be about to be very unsaved) and that frankly Corbyn has enabled is taking the piss.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
I agreed they paid tax - I said they don't pay National Insurance.
I misread. Apologies. Pretty sure you are right about NI.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:03 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Good point just made by SNP that EU citizens are already on the electoral role because of local elections.

It really would take nothing to give them the vote.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:03 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
I appreciate the government is shit at IT but surely it wouldn't take a genius to download the names and addresses on one data base and transfer them to another.
Ian Blackford has said EU citizens are already on the register as they can vote in local elections so that might answer that one.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
I wouldn’t trust a 17 year old to open a can of beans that was already open. The vote? Not in a gazillion years.
Because you don’t know any. I’d rather most 17 year olds I know had the bote than 98% of the people on here.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Gotta say the SNP are the best debaters in parliament.

Just now BJ goes out the chamber and Blackford asks if he is off to dig his ditch

They really are very good on making their points and getting policies across.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Unenforceable in the timeframe would be my guess.
Probably - though at first glance that seems more the case for 16/17 year olds than EU nationals.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure what I feel about 16/17 year olds voting. On balance, I'm probably in favour. But I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be rushed through.

Old 29-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Ian Blackford has said EU citizens are already on the register as they can vote in local elections so that might answer that one.
Therefore this vote will be a vote on whether those with settled status have the right of franchise.

It would take a massive bell end to suggest they shouldn't have the right to vote, right? Lets see who votes in that direction.