Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
I知 56 Dave and got parkrun down to 20:04 this year - averaged around 40k per week -speed sessions were the biggest help in getting faster

What does a speed session involve mate? I seem to have hit a ceiling when it comes to time, best being 22 mins.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:51 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Depends I do some road ones and very occasionally track - a typical example for me is 4 x1 mile faster than my 5k pace

Track one might be 5x800m I would try and do them around 2:54 but at least under 3 minutes

The guys faster than me will do a lot quicker than that
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 PM

daverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Bloody hell! That's incredible. Well done.

I'm doing between 30-40km a week.

You'll probably need to do some shorter runs and focus on speed. Even doing one speed session a week should see your time come rocketing down.

Good luck!
Thanks I知 doing one or two speed sessions a week. With intervals at much faster than 5k target pace. So I might do a speed session and then do an extra 5k easy afterwards to keep the mileage up.

I知 hoping in about a month my legs will have got used to the weekly mileage and will be little less tired and I値l get some big gains.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 PM

daverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdaverambo2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
I知 56 Dave and got parkrun down to 20:04 this year - averaged around 40k per week -speed sessions were the biggest help in getting faster
Thank you. That gives me some inspiration that I can do it as long as I put the right work in to it.

I値l update on here my park run times as the come in.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverambo2 View Post
Thank you. That gives me some inspiration that I can do it as long as I put the right work in to it.

I値l update on here my park run times as the come in.

Good luck and don稚 forget the longer slower runs too
Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverambo2 View Post
Quick question for those experienced runners. If I stick at 60k per week (and am consistent with it) including a couple of speed work sessions and a tempo run is that likely to be enough to get me to sub 20 over the next year; or do I need more mileage than that? I知 38 years old so. Or a spring chicken but not ancient either.
60k is quite a lot for a newer runner.

Most of your runs during the week should be easy runs, for a 22:30 5k that means your easy runs should be 9:00-10:00min/mile pace.

Some 400m and 800m interval sessions will probably help you. My favourite sessions are 2x (6x 400m w/ 60s rest) and 2x (3x 800m w/ 90s rest). You'd be looking to target ~1:35-1:40 for 400m reps and ~3:10-3:20 for the 800m reps.

I'd also throw in a hill session every week. What the session entails comes down to what you have available to you.

Example weekly plan would be:

Mon - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Tue - Intervals - 2k w/u, session 4.8k, 2k w/d
Wed - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Thu - Hills - 2k w/u, session 3-4k, 2k w/d
Fri - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Sat - Rest (or easy parkrun, find someone around 30 mins that you can run around and talk with, help push people in the 30-32 min group to a PB)
Sun - long run - 16-20k, first 3k at 10:00min/mile, next block at 9:00-9:30min/mile, last 3k at 10:00min/mile

Throw in some stretching (after easy runs, don't want to stretch hard after intervals or hills), and some foam rolling. Give it 6-8 weeks, over that time you'll find the sessions getting easier at those paces. Give parkrun a blast and see how you get on, likelihood is big PB which leads to new training block with revised paces.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
60k is quite a lot for a newer runner.

Most of your runs during the week should be easy runs, for a 22:30 5k that means your easy runs should be 9:00-10:00min/mile pace.

Some 400m and 800m interval sessions will probably help you. My favourite sessions are 2x (6x 400m w/ 60s rest) and 2x (3x 800m w/ 90s rest). You'd be looking to target ~1:35-1:40 for 400m reps and ~3:10-3:20 for the 800m reps.

I'd also throw in a hill session every week. What the session entails comes down to what you have available to you.

Example weekly plan would be:

Mon - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Tue - Intervals - 2k w/u, session 4.8k, 2k w/d
Wed - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Thu - Hills - 2k w/u, session 3-4k, 2k w/d
Fri - Easy - 6-8k @ 10min/mile
Sat - Rest (or easy parkrun, find someone around 30 mins that you can run around and talk with, help push people in the 30-32 min group to a PB)
Sun - long run - 16-20k, first 3k at 10:00min/mile, next block at 9:00-9:30min/mile, last 3k at 10:00min/mile

Throw in some stretching (after easy runs, don't want to stretch hard after intervals or hills), and some foam rolling. Give it 6-8 weeks, over that time you'll find the sessions getting easier at those paces. Give parkrun a blast and see how you get on, likelihood is big PB which leads to new training block with revised paces.
Thank you. I’ll have a look at adapting that in to my plan. I think in mins per km so I’ll have to do some converting!

Edit: I did some 400m intervals on Monday and just looked at my Garmin and I did them exactly in the pace zone you suggested! I need to find some hills as it’s very flat where I live.

Last edited by daverambo2; 06-12-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Does anybody here own Vapourfly Next%...?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
I do, own two pairs, personally I really like them, but save them for key races
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
What does a speed session involve mate? I seem to have hit a ceiling when it comes to time, best being 22 mins.
I would suggest a mixture of speed and tempo sessions to help get your 5km down.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomario View Post
I do, own two pairs, personally I really like them, but save them for key races
That's a financial commitment!
Old 13-12-2019, 04:03 PM

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
That's a financial commitment!
Luckily I only had to pay for one pair. Managed to get a free pair to trial, which I haven't worn yet.
Old 19-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Ok, so had the most mortifying and probably embarrassing experience at the Gym his morning.

Went for a run on the treadmill and really gave it some, doing 13km/h for 3 mins then 14 to 14 min then 15 to 15 mins etc all the way up to 20km/h. Pretty taxing but i felt good. Moved on to the weights and after abut 30 minutes started to feel a bit lightheaded so called it a day with the urge for massive shit.

Whilst sitting on the toilet a stated to feel feint/sick, had the unrelenting urge to push out a turd and felt my breathing and heart rate increasing rapidly. Blood started surging around my upper body and i could feel my hand and arms starting to retract and recoil like circulation had been cut off. This spread to my chest, legs and face and before i knew it i crashed out of the toilet door onto the floor face up, pants round ankles and unwiped arse/cock in full view.

Moaning for help people soon came but at this point i could barely move my jaw, was whimpering for someone to uncurl my arms and fingers as the pain was excruciating. Eventually they got the message and forced my hands open and arms straight. I felt the blood begin to surge back through my hands and fingers as a sense of relief washed over my whole body.

Took another 2-3 minutes and i was completely back to normal.

Utterly bizarre, embarrassing and terrifying in equal measure. Genuinely thought i was having a heart attack.

Last edited by Joe85; 19-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 19-12-2019, 02:02 PM

If it's any consolation, I once fell off a running machine.
Old 19-12-2019, 04:17 PM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
That sounds like you should go down to the GP and get checked out.
Old 19-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Twiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwiggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
Ok, so had the most mortifying and probably embarrassing experience at the Gym his morning.

Went for a run on the treadmill and really gave it some, doing 13km/h for 3 mins then 14 to 14 min then 15 to 15 mins etc all the way up to 20km/h. Pretty taxing but i felt good. Moved on to the weights and after abut 30 minutes started to feel a bit lightheaded so called it a day with the urge for massive shit.

Whilst sitting on the toilet a stated to feel feint/sick, had the unrelenting urge to push out a turd and felt my breathing and heart rate increasing rapidly. Blood started surging around my upper body and i could feel my hand and arms starting to retract and recoil like circulation had been cut off. This spread to my chest, legs and face and before i knew it i crashed out of the toilet door onto the floor face up, pants round ankles and unwiped arse/cock in full view.

Moaning for help people soon came but at this point i could barely move my jaw, was whimpering for someone to uncurl my arms and fingers as the pain was excruciating. Eventually they got the message and forced my hands open and arms straight. I felt the blood begin to surge back through my hands and fingers as a sense of relief washed over my whole body.

Took another 2-3 minutes and i was completely back to normal.

Utterly bizarre, embarrassing and terrifying in equal measure. Genuinely thought i was having a heart attack.
That sounds to me like a panic attack.. particularly the retraction of fingers into a claw...but yes..get checked out.
Old 19-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Little Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
That sounds to me like a panic attack.. particularly the retraction of fingers into a claw...but yes..get checked out.
I had a similar thing a few years ago (though not while taking a dump!).

Had proper flu all week, at the weekend felt like i was going to throw up and started taking very deep breaths to avoid it. Ended up hyperventilating and ended up the same as Joe; on the floor with hands and fingers curled inwards. Had all sorts going through my head while it was happening but it cleared up eventually.

Hope you're alright now Joe.

FWL Honours:

Premiership: 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 18, 19, 20. Runners Up: 9, 13, 14, 15, 17.
FA Cup: 4, 17. Runners Up: 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 18.
Others: Champions League (x2), League Cup, WCC (bronze), Championship (x2), Charity Shield
Old 19-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fozzie View Post
I had a similar thing a few years ago (though not while taking a dump!).

Had proper flu all week, at the weekend felt like i was going to throw up and started taking very deep breaths to avoid it. Ended up hyperventilating and ended up the same as Joe; on the floor with hands and fingers curled inwards. Had all sorts going through my head while it was happening but it cleared up eventually.

Hope you're alright now Joe.

Yes mate, thank you. Bloody awful experience.
Old 19-12-2019, 11:52 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes, and they are the absolute bollocks. Immediately took 5% off my race times.

Three weeks after buying them I had two 5k PBs, one 10k PB and a half marathon PB. It was not down to extra training.
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/19

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245