Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM

jobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is here
I'm cool with him kicking 3-4 into touch in a match if he keeps making these important saves.

He's settled in to the team now, and it's nice not having a panic over who is in goal next week because he's automatic first choice (sorry Wayne)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Wayne Hennessey found touch more than Owen Farrell.

Guaita has spent the most of his time trying to hit Ayew, Wilf, Townsend or Michy - none of which are target men. If he plays it long, chances are the opposing centre halves are winning it in the air. Hennessey has had Benteke or Wickham to hit during his disastrous spell as 1st choice - just a bit of a difference.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 PM

GreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
Wayne has barely played this season. His highest passing percentage when he has played a significant amount of games in a season is 47.2%.

Lots of factors in a GK's passing percentage, including whether players win headers from long balls and the team's style. If you look back on Guaita's history, he had some pretty high passing stats at Valencia, then much lower at Getafe which continued at Palace.

My general impression is that Guaita's kicking is pretty solid and his throwing, especially quick throws is as good as I've seen from a Palace keeper (no idea whether throws are included in the passing stat btw).

By the way, Nick Pope's 37.6% this season.

Last season when they played almost half a season each Hennessey was again ahead. All i am saying is firstly that his kicking has room for improvement but also that the way we play doesn't help him. If you knock the ball back to him with time and space he can often find a decent pass. When we play 3 or 4 passes slowing getting deeper it puts him under pressure and when we go long we rarely win the ball.

There were a couple of occasions even yesterday where he played a clipped pass out to the likes of Townsend which show he has ability we just need to stop putting him under pressure and/or provide a target up top to win the ball.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Yeah. Guaita is good, but if a top european club is gonna sign a first choice keeper of his age, they need to be one more level above.
? He was the 4th or 5th best shot stopper in Spain the season he left. He was 4th or 5th last season in his first year with us. He's joint second this year. Based on his stats for the last 2.5 seasons he is a top end Europa league maybe bottom end Champions league GK.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
? He was the 4th or 5th best shot stopper in Spain the season he left. He was 4th or 5th last season in his first year with us. He's joint second this year. Based on his stats for the last 2.5 seasons he is a top end Europa league maybe bottom end Champions league GK.
He’d be starting at a much better team than Palace if that was the case. Same deal with Fabianski really, if they were both 5 years younger, they’d probably be starters for big clubs.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
I would also keep in mind that it’s easier be a keeper at teams like Getafe and Palace with very disciplined defences that throw bodies on the line.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Hed be starting at a much better team than Palace if that was the case. Same deal with Fabianski really, if they were both 5 years younger, theyd probably be starters for big clubs.
I usually see what you mean about players, but I do think Guaita is among the best five goalies in the Premier League, which makes r&b m correct.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I usually see what you mean about players, but I do think Guaita is among the best five goalies in the Premier League, which makes r&b m correct.
De Gea, Ederson, Allison, Leno, Lloris better for me, Guaita in a tier just below with Fabianski and Patricio.

He could start for a team like Sevilla or something that are in and out of the champions league and not exactly a ‘top European club.’ I think that’s a flaw in this debate, we haven’t really specified what the parameters for ‘top European club’ are.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Well yes, that’s his level, he’s not replacing Oblak, but he’s a step up for Palace, he belongs in a team that’s in the European places in the big European leagues. If all our team were as good as him, we’d be Arsenal, Leicester level.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Concession/Adult

9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet9Freedman9 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton View Post
Are you from 1948?
What an odd comment.

I am merely pointing out that, the name is not traditionally English.

Please don't try to turn this into some sort of race issue.....
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Becoming very impressed with his handling. We have known for a while that he's a good shot-stopper. But his work with Kiely is obviously paying off because he is dominating his six yard box. I really like him. Best keeper we've had since Martyn imho. Distribution is terrible but as others have said he doesn't have much to hit. At least we are not trying to play it out from the back.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
I would also keep in mind that its easier be a keeper at teams like Getafe and Palace with very disciplined defences that throw bodies on the line.
Does that account for his shot stopping ?
Old 05-12-2019, 11:56 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Becoming very impressed with his handling. We have known for a while that he's a good shot-stopper. But his work with Kiely is obviously paying off because he is dominating his six yard box. I really like him. Best keeper we've had since Martyn imho. Distribution is terrible but as others have said he doesn't have much to hit. At least we are not trying to play it out from the back.
His handling has always been good though. I think he took a while to bed in and perhaps get used to the speed of the game here. Spanish football is very stop, start. But he is clearly one of the first names on the team sheet now and someone we can build a team around.

He really should have had at least a Spanish cap to his name (I believe he has had call ups before but never played), he was just unfortunate to be around at a time when Spain dominated football with Casillas, Reina and Valdes as their three keepers and then De Gea developed into a reasonably competent keeper.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
His handling has always been good though. I think he took a while to bed in and perhaps get used to the speed of the game here. Spanish football is very stop, start. But he is clearly one of the first names on the team sheet now and someone we can build a team around.

He really should have had at least a Spanish cap to his name (I believe he has had call ups before but never played), he was just unfortunate to be around at a time when Spain dominated football with Casillas, Reina and Valdes as their three keepers and then De Gea developed into a reasonably competent keeper.
The bit of his game that seems to have noticeably changed is handling crosses etc. He pretty much punched everything on arrival and TBH the punches weren't great. He looked very unsure about when he should come for the cross or not. That whole aerial side of his game has improved since his first game. His shot stopping was always there I think and general handling. The other bit of his game that seems to be improving but is still WIP is with the ball at his feet/kicking. Noticeable improvement during the past month but doesn't look that comfortable with the ball in open play and that invites the forward to pressurise him. But his overall game is already right up there in terms of impact and its a joy to think he is always in with a chance of saving it. .
Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Middle class left.

He likes to distribute short and play on the ground. That's the way they teach goalies in Spain.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
He was an absolute star at the Crystal Palace Supporters Children's Charity Christmas Party last night, including insisting on drawing the raffle prizes (by which stage the players' 'duties' for the night had been completed).

(For balance, I should say Wayne Hennessey was also great. And Stephen Henderson, too, once I'd worked out who he was.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Great to hear
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
He was an absolute star at the Crystal Palace Supporters Children's Charity Christmas Party last night, including insisting on drawing the raffle prizes (by which stage the players' 'duties' for the night had been completed).

(For balance, I should say Wayne Hennessey was also great. And Stephen Henderson, too, once I'd worked out who he was.)
I just saw a tweet of him dancing with Alice the eagle
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM

hulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehulkster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He has that craziness about him which, I don’t care what anyone says, you have to have to be a top class goalie.
He also has very strong hands and wrists when he is performing a save with an outstretched arm. This has been evident in the past two games. Once he has a hand on it, it is like the ball has hit a wall.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
His strong hands were very gentle with the magician's rabbit.

And, no, that's not a euphemism.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk