Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 03-02-2019, 07:28 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
And while I'm here, three Beatles songs I've always really hated: Back in the USSR, Get Back and Taxman.
Three classics. Strange man.

If we’re playing this game, my three least favourite Beatle songs would all probably be George songs: Blue Jay Way, Only a Northern Song and Love you to.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 03-02-2019, 07:45 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
[QUOTE=legaleagle2;146283

Back to topic,I wouldn't expect too much revelatory from the new film since it will still need to pass Paul's approval..so expect something good but not revelatory ,bit like like "let It Be..Naked'[/QUOTE]

More to the point - Yoko’s approval, as she is in a lot of it...mostly sitting next to John like some ghostly spectre, occasionally rising from her seat to kiss John on the top of his head like an over bearing mother to her obedient child.

I’ve seen and heard quite a lot of stuff from those sessions that have somehow made it onto the pirate market, and though there may not be anything revelatory, there are some very candid and fascinating fly on the wall bits of basically one of the best bands ever honing their craft.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 03-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I also loathe Back in the USSR which I believe was conceived as a Beach Boys piss take - how dare they! It's a puerile effort.

It's amazing how the Beatles archive continues to get mined for new opportunities...a little surprised there is still such a big market out there for 'new' product but they remain massively popular across the pond of course.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
I had heard that Let it Be wouldn't get a proper Bluray remastered release until Paul was dead. The original film does make him appear bossy and dictatorial. And apparently there's lots more bossy Macca stuff that didn't make the film.

That scene where he tells George what to play is painful.

Hope Paul hasn't been given a veto over the final release. Could be really interesting especially with Peter Jackson involved.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
I had heard that Let it Be wouldn't get a proper Bluray remastered release until Paul was dead. The original film does make him appear bossy and dictatorial. And apparently there's lots more bossy Macca stuff that didn't make the film.

That scene where he tells George what to play is painful.

Hope Paul hasn't been given a veto over the final release. Could be really interesting especially with Peter Jackson involved.
As far as I know Paul has never had final veto on any Beatle business past or present. Since George passed it’s been a four way decision between Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia Harrison. If one of the four veto a project/idea, it doesn’t happen.

- John Peel
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Crap Clique member

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
basically one of the best bands ever honing their craft.
I thought it was about the beatles

The BBS - Where Briighton trolls have imaginary lawyers.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Crap Clique member

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
I defy anyone to claim that they do not like at least 3 Beatles tunes (cue Maidstoned).
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Ballad of John and Yoko
A Day in the Life.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes. If he had called it 'Frog Slaughter', and got Brian James in on geetar, his credibility would have received a boost.
Now that I'd pay to listen to!
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Ballad of John and Yoko
A Day in the Life.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of those weird songs where the verse is far superior to the chorus. Some melody though, that verse. I've actually been listening to it a lot lately as I finally got round to properly watching Withnail & I a couple of weeks back.

Ballad of John and Yoko can do one.

A Day In The Life is obvs a classic.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Crap Clique member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of those weird songs where the verse is far superior to the chorus. Some melody though, that verse. I've actually been listening to it a lot lately as I finally got round to properly watching Withnail & I a couple of weeks back.

Ballad of John and Yoko can do one.

A Day In The Life is obvs a classic.
Give this version a go.....

I'd actually add You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and a B-side called "Yes It Is"

You see, it'snot that I hate the beatles, I just think they're overrated..which beatleheads have problems with.....I hate Mc*****ey though, he can do one.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hide your love away is another good one.

As for being over-rated, I think you have to understand that people's tastes are subjective and its impossible to compare different genres really. That said, in terms of the sheer number of instantly recognisable catchy pop melodies, it's difficult to think of any other band that you could put above them.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Not keen on that Jeff Healey version. Of all the various versions, the only other one I quite like is Santana / India Arie
Old 06-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Crap Clique member

Quote:

As for being over-rated, I think you have to understand that people's tastes are subjective and its impossible to compare different genres really. That said, in terms of the sheer number of instantly recognisable catchy pop melodies, it's difficult to think of any other band that you could put above them.
And my subjective taste says they are overated.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:43 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Let it be, Peter.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Lt. Columbo's no. 1 fan

dweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Paul McCartney suffers from actually being too nice (and the Frogs chorus obviously), would be more appreciated if he had an edge about him.

I defy anyone to claim that they do not like at least 3 Beatles tunes (cue Maidstoned).
Half of the white album. No idea why people rank it among their best, so many of the songs on it are entirely unremarkable.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:

That’s where I stand with the Beatles. Not my favourite band (although they’d make my top 10), but I just think they have the greatest quality in depth of music out of anyone. I can name more Beatles songs I consider good than I can for even bands I prefer.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 10-02-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweedman View Post
Half of the white album. No idea why people rank it among their best, so many of the songs on it are entirely unremarkable.

I wouldn’t go as far as half, but yes there are in my estimation about a third of the album - 10 from the 30 - that could’ve been cut. And I guess it’s the 20 other songs that lead people to site it as the best album. The diversity from one band in one album is just beyond incredible. From Blackbird to Helter Skelter; Mother Nature’s son to Everybody’s got something to hide...it’s just a smorgasbord of pure colour, styles, diversity and creativity.

In some ways the fact they just threw all those songs into one big album kind of makes it too. It’s like an avant-grade scrap book of what you did on your holidays. It was typical Beatles mentality, striving for something new, something different. Having just made Peppers, which was a feat of music production technology, they stripped it all back for the White Album and both album covers are symbolic of this.

- John Peel
Old 11-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Crap Clique member

Or it was 3 differing personalities trying to get THEIR song on the album all at the same time.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Much the same as Yes's 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', it would have been a terrific single LP.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:27 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Much the same as Yes's 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', it would have been a terrific single LP.
I have always thought of the White album as being their Sandinista (as opposed to the other way round).