Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 21-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905 View Post
Good extended feature on Delaney on the Premier League World Show at the moment, from his start as a youth player at Cork/Leicester to our promotion and finishing back where it started (looks like it also gets shown on Sky in the UK)

To view the link you have to Register or Login
For fans in Oz with the Optus Sport app...this 9-min video is now posted on there. Itís a top watch.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Probationary User

not going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
Damo's having a nightmare this evening at Bohs. Own goal for their first. For the second the forward waltzed past him like he was nailed to the floor. Then robbed of the ball trying to bring it out of defence, one pass goal. Three down after half an hour. At fault for all three goals.

Own goal was special. Look for it later.

Sad watching.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Probationary User

not going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
Pulled out of a challenge inside the area for Bohs fourth goal.

TV analysts did their best not to slate him too much, but it was shocking.

Hooked at half time.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:07 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by not going back View Post
Damo's having a nightmare this evening at Bohs. Own goal for their first. For the second the forward waltzed past him like he was nailed to the floor. Then robbed of the ball trying to bring it out of defence, one pass goal. Three down after half an hour. At fault for all three goals.

Own goal was special. Look for it later.

Sad watching.
Just seen the own goal. Why did the player pass back to him in that position and what on earth was the keeper doing where was ?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Nice little article in the IT....

The thought that his Premier League days might finally be numbered sort of occurred to Damien Delaney for the first time, he says, on the eve of his 36th birthday.

His age, he insists, still didn’t seem like too much of a factor with the Corkman happy that he and his legs had at least another year of top level football in them.

But Crystal Palace were in Hong Kong for a preseason tournament in which they were facing a Liverpool side that included a new signing . . . Mohamed Salah.

“I could laugh about it afterwards,” says the defender, now back at home and in preseason training with Waterford, “because I realised later just how good he was and even at the time I was thinking that the humidity and all of that didn’t help but that wasn’t a very good day for me.

“You’re thinking, ‘maybe it’s beginning to catch on you a bit,’ and I think that might have been the first time that I really thought that maybe it’s on the horizon, maybe it is time to start thinking about it. But I realised later, watching games, that I hadn’t been the first person that Mohammed Salah had torched and it made me feel a little bit better about myself when I saw him torching other people. It’s given me a warped sort of satisfaction.”

The Egyptian might have been exceptional but that didn’t change the fact that Delaney was actually approaching his Premier League expiry date.

He played just a handful of games that season for the London club, where James Tomkins and Mamadou Sakho had come in, before leaving, he insists, on very good terms Roy Hodgson and everyone else at Selhurst Park.

“The best thing about my career there was that it finished naturally. It just sort of tailed off that last year and that was fine. You can’t cheat time, it got me in the end and I can’t complain, I got to nearly 37 ultimately; I was playing regularly at 35. Some people have their careers ended for them by their clubs or their own rashness.”

He is a little less philosophical about the way his international career had ended in 2014 with Delaney recalling that, after a long club season then a night on the bench when Ireland played Italy in Craven Cottage, he asked Martin O’Neill if he could “sit out” a trip to the United States where games against Costa Rica and Portugal had been lined up.

O’Neill later suggested to the press that Delaney had said he preferred not to travel for international duty if he was not going to play.

“When I read that, I sort of went over the conversation that we had and I sort of wondered was there a chance that he might have misinterpreted what I was saying; did it come across wrong? But I don’t think there was or he could have come to that conclusion.”
Learning experience

The decision to come home, he says, preceded the decision to sign for Cork City. He and his Iranian partner Solmaz were starting a family (they have since had a baby boy, Bizhan) and his first priority, he says, was to focus on parenthood; “to share everything, the night feeds, all of that, I didn’t want to shirk any of it and I have no regrets”.

It came at a cost, he admits, however. Another year older, a little distracted perhaps and having failed to figure out or articulate what exactly he felt he could deliver, Delaney had a difficult time at City where he struggled to make the sort of impact expected from a player of his stature.

“Yeah, well, the expectation when you are coming home is that you are still a Premier League player,” he says, “but you’re not; if you were, you’d still be playing in the Premier League.

“Coming home; I think, was the best decision that I’ve made. Ultimately, though, I look back at the six months that I had with Cork as a massive learning experience and I take the education that I got from it because I did make some catastrophic errors. But I’ve learned from them.

“I realised that I would have to be more honest with myself and then more honest with my manager. In Cork, the training was so intense that come Friday night I had almost nothing because I’d spent nearly everything during the week.

This time, I’ve told Rennie [Waterford boss Alan Reynolds], ‘this is what I can give you’, ‘this is what I feel capable of but you have to work with me through the season, there will have to be a fair bit of trust in my judgement’.

“The training is the big one for me. I only have a finite amount of energy left in me. I can’t be spending it on a Tuesday morning in the muck down in Waterford because come Friday night I want to have an appetite for the game.”

Having thought and talked things through, his ambitions for what he suggests will be his last season are fairly simple: “I want to help the team, it’s a young squad, and I need to get back to playing with a smile on my face, to enjoying it again.”

But in the absence of any Mohamed Salahs is he really so sure this will be the end?

“Ah yeah, Jesus, definitely,” he laughs. “I can’t go through another preseason in January again. That was a new experience. I’d gotten used to preseason in mid-July somewhere abroad, warmer. The RSC in January with the wind coming in sideways . . . that was different.”
Old 07-02-2019, 12:48 PM
The Stockton SLAP

STOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Top chap - remember that speech in front of the Holmesdale very will still, the emotion in his voice thanking the fans for his career. Always a Palace great.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He always comes across as such a splendid chap. We are rightly proud of the bloke.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM

silverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Always gave 100%. You can never ask any more than that. Great player for us.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:18 PM
The Stockton SLAP

STOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSTOCKTON came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Such a class act: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Wonder whether he’ll go into coaching?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:25 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of my all time Palace favourites.

Another of 'useless' Dougie's signings.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don't get the RSC reference.
Never realised he was a thespian.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKTON View Post
Such a class act: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Subtitled
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Don't get the RSC reference.
Never realised he was a thespian.
Nothing so glamorous I'm afraid, it's the Waterford Regional Sports Centre

Palace played a pre season there a few years back under Holloway.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned by Moderators

usaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineusaythatuloveme : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
what a player what a man
Old 08-02-2019, 09:11 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaythatuloveme View Post
what a player what a man
And what a servant. We would not be where we are now but for the likes of Damo.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemboExpress View Post
And what a servant. We would not be where we are now but for the likes of Damo.
I love Damo. But I do think the word servant is a bit out of place. I've never known servants earn as much money as Premier League/ Championship football players. He was worth the money, no doubt but he was certainly rewarded too.
Old 19-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Some interesting insights from Damo on his time at Palace and even a bit on Wilf in a recent podcast/article. Apologies if this has already been posted.

There's a link to the podcast in the article. Reproduced it below

Quote:
Damien Delaney appeared on the Second Captains podcast to talk about Eamon Dunphy book 'Only A Game', and in the course of the conversation spoke candidly about the latter stages of his career as well as the changing attitudes to Christmas partys at Crystal Palace.

The Cork native lifted the lid on his relationship with former team mate Wilfried Zaha, who used to clash constantly in training:

"Myself and Wilfried Zaha used to have murder, because he was that person -the young, cocky winger- me and him would go at it every day. It became a running joke, but the the argument would go too far and we wouldn't speak to each other for a week.

This cocky, south London, in your face type of fella, you're dying a death and he's killing you in training, and then you find yourself going to the other side of the 5-a-side pitch.

Whereas a few years ago, when I was a few years younger I had the bounce in the legs, I used to follow him around the 5-a-side pitch, and he used to go mad, I'd kick seven colours out of him. Every day it was my thing 'I'm going after him'. And Wilfried wasn't as good as he is now, he's developed so much in the last few years. He was a little bit raw and he'd take too many touches. Even if he got past you, you'd know he'd take the extra touch.

The tables turned in my last year, he just followed me! And I was like 'would you go away and leave me alone!'
"

The 37-year-old also recounted how the old traditions of English football, namely getting smashed at the Christmas party, fell by the wayside with the influx of foreigners to English shores:

"Christmas parties was probably the oldest tradition in English football, it's a two day bender you're 'on it'. Palace, just as we got promoted and there were a lot more foreigners coming in and then they'd come to the Christmas party and they'd be looking at us.

We had a rule Sunday morning ten o'clock in the hotel bar with a drink in your hand. You had to be there. The foreign lads are getting dragged out of bed. And you're shoving down a jager bomb at ten in the morning, they were sitting there looking at you.

That was the old mentality that we tried to bring through into the modern age. It didn't work.
"
Be interesting to know if Joel Ward and Jules partook.
Old 22-04-2019, 08:50 AM

BollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBollockyBill will cross the room to turn the lights down low
solid chap