Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Iíd have loved to have seen both Woody and Glass make it

Both great keepers and nice blokes

Can we sign Freddy woodman please!
Spoke to Andy Woodman at the Golden Eagles evening in 1994 and Jimmy Glass after a game in the Players Lounge in 1996 and both tried to discourage me from being a goalkeeper.

Jimmy was unlucky, he was in the youth set up the same time as a guy I used to train with called Paul Gunn and apparently the training methods used at the time absolutely annihilated his wrists.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Spoke to Andy Woodman at the Golden Eagles evening in 1994 and Jimmy Glass after a game in the Players Lounge in 1996 and both tried to discourage me from being a goalkeeper.

Jimmy was unlucky, he was in the youth set up the same time as a guy I used to train with called Paul Gunn and apparently the training methods used at the time absolutely annihilated his wrists.
Paul Gunn (and Adam Sells) was also my sons goalkeeper coach!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannerEagle View Post
Paul Gunn (and Adam Sells) was also my sons goalkeeper coach!
Oh really? I used to go to a goalkeeper session with Paul when I was younger. He took it over from another guy called Tony who emigrated to Australia I believe.

I sometimes speak with Adam, mainly about Palace, but often about goalkeeping in general. Still not met the man but he still owes me a story as to why he left Selsport to form Sells Goalkeeping.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post

I read his book a good few years ago. Seemingly the balls they used in training were knackered and just pumped up to be as hard as possible, while, away from the first team, keeper training didnít seem to consist of much more than lamping said balls as hard as possible at the keeper. Thus knackered wrists.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Werkself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
I read his book a good few years ago. Seemingly the balls they used in training were knackered and just pumped up to be as hard as possible, while, away from the first team, keeper training didn’t seem to consist of much more than lamping said balls as hard as possible at the keeper. Thus knackered wrists.
Yup. Exactly how it was described to me by Paul, and we are talking 19-20 years ago he told me that story.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
Peter Caswell I think it was.
Caswell only played a handful of games for us. I'm not at home, so don't have a reference book available, but I'm pretty sure that one of those very rare appearances was in the famous last game of the season (for us) win at Wrexham in 1977, that lead to us getting promoted in their place. If memory serves me right he was drafted in for that match due to our regular keeper being injured.

That being the case, regardless of his few appearances, Caswell should be a legendary figure for us
Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
I can't believe that's now over 40 years ago

And we've hardly produced a keeper since (I'm not sure I count David Fry)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Yogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietYogya came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
Caswell only played a handful of games for us. I'm not at home, so don't have a reference book available, but I'm pretty sure that one of those very rare appearances was in the famous last game of the season (for us) win at Wrexham in 1977, that lead to us getting promoted in their place. If memory serves me right he was drafted in for that match due to our regular keeper being injured.

That being the case, regardless of his few appearances, Caswell should be a legendary figure for us
Yes, he played against Wrexham. Can remember skiving off school for that match. The match, together with the palace special train ride back with directors on board, will always be one of my top Palace memories
Old 06-02-2019, 02:13 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I can't believe that's now over 40 years ago

And we've hardly produced a keeper since (I'm not sure I count David Fry)
Donít think we can tbh as he came to us from Weymouth at 17.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Thanks Woosie

Particularly interesting about Whitworth. I know we shouldn't get too excited because he is possibly the best part of a decade away from challenging whoever is our first team keeper at that time, even if he continues to grow and progress. But I can't actually remember the last keeper we brought through the ranks who got even remotely close to being first choice.

I don't think there has been one in this century has there?
Woodman I'd suppose.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 AM

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Guess the best keeper we've produced this century has been Wes Foderingham. 130 appearances for Swindon and 107 for Rangers ain't bad.
Wonder why we let him go so early ?
Didn't produce him, came from Bromley via Fulham.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Donít think we can tbh as he came to us from Weymouth at 17.
Yes, that's exactly the reason I said I couldn't really count him.

He was, actually, nationally famous from his time at Weymouth, for setting some record, but I can't exactly recall which record. Youngest player to play in FA Cup?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:37 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:

He was, actually, nationally famous from his time at Weymouth, for setting some record, but I can't exactly recall which record. Youngest player to play in FA Cup?
Oh interesting, I was only young so no Idea. He joined us in 77 and I was still a baggies fan till late 78 maybe early 79.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:12 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can we claim. Carlo Nash?! Hey
Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM

sheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wasn’t there a highly rated keeper who ended up signing for Swindon before moving to Scotland. Can’t remember his name for the life of me though

Edit - Wes Foderingham. Currently second choice rangers keeper (was there number one until Gerrard took over)

Last edited by sheepy; 07-02-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Might have been Andy Awford, the ex pompey defender
Old 16-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Watched the U18s today. They lost 4-0 at home to league leaders Cardiff.

The first half was one of the most painful 45 minutes of football I've watched, and I've been watching Palace for about 20 years.

Cardiff went into the break with that 4 goal lead after battering Palace, their 3-5-2 formation overloading our 4-2-3-1 in particular down the flanks. Sean Robertson looked threatening going forward but the formation meant that he was essentially marking space and leaving a man free to take on RB Jude Russell with another in support.

Equally on the left, David Omilabu (U16 playing up) offered no support to Lion Bello who was at LB (another U16 playing up) and Cardiff either got in behind or had space to cross the ball.

This continued for almost the entire half. All of the goals were poorly defended, Rohan Luthra (GK) came for a cross and due to miscommunication it got headed away... only as far as a Cardiff player who banged it into the top corner.

Another was a simple finish under Luthra from a cross from the Palace left where the Cardiff player was unmarked.

I think every goal came from a cross which tells you everything really.

Astonishingly Paddy McCarthy didn't change his side's shape or style at all until the second half when they matched with Cardiff's 3 at the back and it made all the difference.

Cardiff were very well drilled, they knew exactly where to be, played the right passes, made the right moves, made the right decisions. They managed the game well in the second half despite it being more even.

Despite the score, Palace actually had a few decent chances. Robertson - returning from 6 weeks out with an eye injury (nasty one, bleeding of the retina) - was menacing throughout, his pace and skill to beat a man make him an excellent winger.

David Boateng played a neat ball through the middle to Will Donkin, who in turn switched play to Robertson on the right who beat his man on the outside, came in but could only find his shot saved from a tight angle.

Robertson was involved in almost everything good in attack for Palace, and he whipped in a cross which Josh Ajayi maybe should have reached, but it came off the defender and almost went in. That would have been 1-1...

At 0-3, Bivesh Gurung played a brilliant ball through the middle to Ajayi, who in turn played in Donkin but the keeper saved his shot.

Gurung then found himself in a bit of space about 25 yards out but blazed over with a powerful shot.

Then Robertson set Ajayi in, but he couldn't get the ball out of his feet and could only shoot straight at the keeper. In truth, Ajayi deserved a goal, he was good in the first half and aside from finishing (the most important part I realise) he had a good game.

Cardiff then scored a fourth...

Late on, two Palace subs combined. John-Kymani Gordon (U16 who had come over at HT from the 16s game) did really well to beat his man and come inside to cross perfectly for Dylan Thiselton (another U16 who had come over in the second half) to head in, but he seemed to anticipate the impact and let the ball hit him and he headed over when he should have scored.

Gordon was in a few times but his first touch was really poor and let him down. I've been told that when he's on it, he is really on it and absolutely looks a level above in the 16s, but I've yet to see it from him.

Thiselton could be one of those who goes under the radar but improves week on week. Good ball control, dangerous in attack.

Palace's line-up was:

Luthra
Russell, Trehy, Chamberlin, Bello
Gurung, D.Boateng
Robertson, Donkin, Omilabu
Ajayi

Second half was 3-5-2 with Omilabu and Gordon up front, Bello LWB.

I really don't think Paddy is a great coach.

It hasn't been good watching the U18s this season, it's been difficult to understand the tactics, system and team selection within the formation.

I fully appreciate that it is about individual development and that is sometimes to the detriment of the team and their performances, but to an extent, it is necessary to be winning games and playing consistently, in order for individuals to succeed and develop.

This side was missing:

Brandon Aveiro (LW/10, injured)
Brandon Pierrick (RW, 23s)
TQ Addy (LW, injured)
Malachi Boateng (DM/CM 23s)
Rob Street (CF, 23s)

So there are some players who are playing up and they aren't playing, but even when they have been, it's not been good enough.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 17-02-2019, 11:54 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
Watched the U18s today. They lost 4-0 at home to league leaders Cardiff.

The first half was one of the most painful 45 minutes of football I've watched, and I've been watching Palace for about 20 years.

Cardiff went into the break with that 4 goal lead after battering Palace, their 3-5-2 formation overloading our 4-2-3-1 in particular down the flanks. Sean Robertson looked threatening going forward but the formation meant that he was essentially marking space and leaving a man free to take on RB Jude Russell with another in support.

Equally on the left, David Omilabu (U16 playing up) offered no support to Lion Bello who was at LB (another U16 playing up) and Cardiff either got in behind or had space to cross the ball.

This continued for almost the entire half. All of the goals were poorly defended, Rohan Luthra (GK) came for a cross and due to miscommunication it got headed away... only as far as a Cardiff player who banged it into the top corner.

Another was a simple finish under Luthra from a cross from the Palace left where the Cardiff player was unmarked.

I think every goal came from a cross which tells you everything really.

Astonishingly Paddy McCarthy didn't change his side's shape or style at all until the second half when they matched with Cardiff's 3 at the back and it made all the difference.

Cardiff were very well drilled, they knew exactly where to be, played the right passes, made the right moves, made the right decisions. They managed the game well in the second half despite it being more even.

Despite the score, Palace actually had a few decent chances. Robertson - returning from 6 weeks out with an eye injury (nasty one, bleeding of the retina) - was menacing throughout, his pace and skill to beat a man make him an excellent winger.

David Boateng played a neat ball through the middle to Will Donkin, who in turn switched play to Robertson on the right who beat his man on the outside, came in but could only find his shot saved from a tight angle.

Robertson was involved in almost everything good in attack for Palace, and he whipped in a cross which Josh Ajayi maybe should have reached, but it came off the defender and almost went in. That would have been 1-1...

At 0-3, Bivesh Gurung played a brilliant ball through the middle to Ajayi, who in turn played in Donkin but the keeper saved his shot.

Gurung then found himself in a bit of space about 25 yards out but blazed over with a powerful shot.

Then Robertson set Ajayi in, but he couldn't get the ball out of his feet and could only shoot straight at the keeper. In truth, Ajayi deserved a goal, he was good in the first half and aside from finishing (the most important part I realise) he had a good game.

Cardiff then scored a fourth...

Late on, two Palace subs combined. John-Kymani Gordon (U16 who had come over at HT from the 16s game) did really well to beat his man and come inside to cross perfectly for Dylan Thiselton (another U16 who had come over in the second half) to head in, but he seemed to anticipate the impact and let the ball hit him and he headed over when he should have scored.

Gordon was in a few times but his first touch was really poor and let him down. I've been told that when he's on it, he is really on it and absolutely looks a level above in the 16s, but I've yet to see it from him.

Thiselton could be one of those who goes under the radar but improves week on week. Good ball control, dangerous in attack.

Palace's line-up was:

Luthra
Russell, Trehy, Chamberlin, Bello
Gurung, D.Boateng
Robertson, Donkin, Omilabu
Ajayi

Second half was 3-5-2 with Omilabu and Gordon up front, Bello LWB.

I really don't think Paddy is a great coach.

It hasn't been good watching the U18s this season, it's been difficult to understand the tactics, system and team selection within the formation.

I fully appreciate that it is about individual development and that is sometimes to the detriment of the team and their performances, but to an extent, it is necessary to be winning games and playing consistently, in order for individuals to succeed and develop.

This side was missing:

Brandon Aveiro (LW/10, injured)
Brandon Pierrick (RW, 23s)
TQ Addy (LW, injured)
Malachi Boateng (DM/CM 23s)
Rob Street (CF, 23s)

So there are some players who are playing up and they aren't playing, but even when they have been, it's not been good enough.

A typically objective report Woosie, thanks. Clearly the team underperformed against a well drilled and organised Cardiff side who top the league. It seems odd that players can be introduced after halftime having played a first half for another group. Is it not better to keep a squad together from the start? I am surprised about your comments regarding Paddy McCarthy, last season he was highly rated having moved up from a younger age group. Is he perhaps getting disillusioned with junior management? Maybe he should be coaching at a senior level.
Old 17-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Palace since 1970

Gazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGazpacho : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Good report. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post it. Hope the youngsters don't get too dispirited by Paddy's tactics ( or lack of them? ).
Old 17-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Watching the last couple of Monday U23 games I have to say how unimpressed I was with the level it was played at, especially the QPR game. Not saying at none of them have potential but if anything I was surprised how none of them really tried to stand out, other than maybe Flanagan, who despite his technical ability seems to lack confidence.

Not sure if there's any connection with the first team's poor finishing but there seems to be a lack of the killer instinct required to put yourself in the shop window. Gio was the prime example for me, as he has got an all round good game with good passing and tackling skills. His finish for the 2nd goal was outstanding but when interviewed after mentioned that his teammates rib him about his shooting/scoring.

These players need to realise that if they don't push themselves to stand out amongst their peers they simply wont make it. A lot of them are out of contract at the end of the season and they are running out of time.