Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 17-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Playoffs Going Down

Now during my daily playoff dreams that I have been having since the Coventry game, I came to wonder on this:

I know there has been speculation about 3rd and 4th in the 1st Division playing 17th and 18th in the Premiership in a playoff scenario. But how about two teams going automatically down from the Premiership, with 15th playing 18th, and 16th playing 17th, all fighting in a 'relegation playoff,' where the loser goes down. The 1st Division playoffs remain the same.

I just think that this would add a lot more spice to the football season in general.

For example, this year....(in the premiership)
Pld GD Pts
11 Middlesbrough 38 -8 48
12 Southampton 38 -1 47
13 Portsmouth 38 -7 45
14 Tottenham 38 -10 45
15 Blackburn 38 -8 44
16 Man City 38 1 41
17 Everton 38 -12 39
18 Leicester City 38 -17 33
19 Leeds United 38 -39 33
20 Wolves 38 -39 33

Therefore, Blackburn v Leicester and Everton v Man City...

I know that this isn't the fairest way, but it is no different in theory to the current playoffs with the possibility of 6th place going up... or in this case 15th place going down.

Can anyone think of other ways to make every position worth fighting for? Thus reducing the dilemma of 'nothing-to-play-for' end of season scenario's.
Old 17-05-2004, 05:24 PM

Teagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think the relegation system is fine. It's the system of promotion that needs to be looked at. Though I personally don't have a problem with the play-offs, adds a bit of drama at the end of the season.
Old 17-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine<_tece_> : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Do you not think that adding a bit more drama near the bottom of the table would be more exciting aswell?
Old 17-05-2004, 06:22 PM

Teagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
No, simply because of the crippling financial impact relegation has upon teams.

Promotion is a different matter. Teams may not be breaking even, but most are in a position to survive. If Palace don't go up this year, we stand a good chance of going up next year. The promotion play offs provide a little drama for the final spot in the Premier.

Teams getting relegated face financial ruin, as such, a play off system for the amusement of the neutral would just be plain cruel.
Old 17-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Quote:
Originally posted by Teagle
Teams getting relegated face financial ruin, as such, a play off system for the amusement of the neutral would just be plain cruel.
Didn't think of it that way....
Old 17-05-2004, 10:13 PM

andy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
On the other hand it would give the team finishing third from bottom the chance to stay up. Cruel?

I've long thought this was the way forward for the play-offs, which are unfair in their current format.
Old 17-05-2004, 10:14 PM

andy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandy m : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Oh no, sorry, just re-read the first post. What I think should happen is third from bottom of prem plays off, two legged, against third from top of div 1.
Old 17-05-2004, 10:14 PM

Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work Men At Work
Quote:
Originally posted by Teagle
I personally don't have a problem with the play-offs, adds a bit of drama at the end of the season.
You don't say!
Old 17-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
Oh no, sorry, just re-read the first post. What I think should happen is third from bottom of prem plays off, two legged, against third from top of div 1.
Old 17-05-2004, 11:50 PM

It's not broken. So why the hell tinker with it?
It's gotten to the point where Coca Cola are re-naming the Football League. The system is good. Leave it.
Old 18-05-2004, 10:03 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
After the riot at the Chelsea v Middlesbrough play-off '88 when Boro were promoted at the same time that Chelsea were relegated, it was decided that play-offs that could result in relegation were too stressful and they were changed to the current system with just teams playing for promotion. It doubt whether they'll ever bring it back.

A match in which the loser misses out on a potential 15 million quid windfall is one thing but one in which the loser effectively has that much income taken away would be bordering on cruelty.
Old 18-05-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis
After the riot at the Chelsea v Middlesbrough play-off '88 when Boro were promoted at the same time that Chelsea were relegated, it was decided that play-offs that could result in relegation were too stressful and they were changed to the current system with just teams playing for promotion. It doubt whether they'll ever bring it back.

A match in which the loser misses out on a potential 15 million quid windfall is one thing but one in which the loser effectively has that much income taken away would be bordering on cruelty.
My point exactly. Well said.
Old 18-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Virtually Insane

mrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrdance88 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
But there is always a couple of million to play for in mid table finishes