Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:36 AM
Anonymous Coward

What about the Asian teams

I think this is the year of the upsets.

After watching the draw between Korean and US, I think Korea has a very good chance of defeating Portugal.

Korean dominated the game against the US. The score could have easily been 3-1 or 4-1.
I don't know what their coach has been feeding their minds with but they are playing like a contending team.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Runaway Lab Monkey

Samo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
I think you should register
Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Its almost certain proof to me, that home ground advantage in football, particualy at this level, is worth more than we will ever know. ie: bet france never become a power in football again, unless they play at home.

lets hope england disprove me on this one !
Old 12-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Runaway Lab Monkey

Samo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsSamo* was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Euro 96 is a good example,if only Gazza had got a touch to that cross.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:43 PM
I only hate Charlton

Boris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another dayBoris the charltonhater will last through forever and another day
This year is the first time Non-Asian teams have played a competitive tournament in Asia and as a result some of the 'big' teams are suffering -France, Argentina - with the climate, however the home teams don't need to worry about this so much. Only once have a non European team won the world cup in Europe (Brazil, 1958) and no European team has ever won the world cup outside Europe.

Whilst Japan have been very entertaining to watch and South Korea completely outclassed Poland remember, ignoring France, two of the worst teams in the tournament are China and Saudi Arabia, Asian champions.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:46 PM

Jimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I admit i knew nothing about asian footie (china apart) and the 2 host have really impressed me!!! They are so enthusiastic for the game on the pitch - the team have so much energy it is amazing they last for 90mins!!
Old 13-06-2002, 12:30 AM
Songs For The Road

pete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Ollie
South Korea vs Portugal is going to be a very interesting game. I have a feeling that the Koreans could put Portugal out. Their game is fast and quick and may be too good for the portugese back line and they have a well marshalled defenced
Old 13-06-2002, 12:39 AM
Thinking...

Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa Jaffa
I think Japan may get to the Semi Finals, by winning their group, beating Costa Rica in Round 2, Sweden in the Quarters.

Then they will face Brazil, England or Denmark.... not so good.

I think South Korea will go out in the Quarters. They will also probably win their group, and I reckon they will have the pace to beat a sluggish Croatia who I think will come second in their group (goodbye Italy!) But then I think Spain will beat them.
Old 13-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris
This year is the first time Non-Asian teams have played a competitive tournament in Asia and as a result some of the 'big' teams are suffering -France, Argentina - with the climate, however the home teams don't need to worry about this so much. Only once have a non European team won the world cup in Europe (Brazil, 1958) and no European team has ever won the world cup outside Europe.

Whilst Japan have been very entertaining to watch and South Korea completely outclassed Poland remember, ignoring France, two of the worst teams in the tournament are China and Saudi Arabia, Asian champions.
I'll throw my tuppence in here....

I think that some of the European players looked tired and I wonder if coming off the domestic seasons and then being sent half way around the World is taking it's toll. If I am not mistaken, the World Cup is usually later in June than this season?
When France lost to Denmark, I didn't see players looking down or holding their heads in disbelief. They seems okay with it all and acted as if, it was just another game.
I reckon' a half time dosage of fresh monkey brains is doing the Koreans wonders
Old 13-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Songs For The Road

pete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Olliepete eagle belongs to Ollie
the long season may have it's affects but there are many more factors contributing to the downfall of the French. Look at the Spanish, their season went on even longer than ours and their players look fine.
The French were too old,too arrogant,lacked competitive matchplay and got their tactics wrong. I don't expect to see Leboeuf,Desailly,Petit,Djorkaeff featuring much anymore
Old 13-06-2002, 01:23 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Its almost certain proof to me, that home ground advantage in football, particualy at this level, is worth more than we will ever know. ie: bet france never become a power in football again, unless they play at home.
Yes, France won the World Cup in 1998 in France, but they also won the European Championship in 2000 in Holland. I do agree home advantage is a huge boost in the World Cup.
Old 13-06-2002, 01:31 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa
I think Japan may get to the Semi Finals, by winning their group, beating Costa Rica in Round 2, Sweden in the Quarters.

Then they will face Brazil, England or Denmark.... not so good.

I think South Korea will go out in the Quarters. They will also probably win their group, and I reckon they will have the pace to beat a sluggish Croatia who I think will come second in their group (goodbye Italy!) But then I think Spain will beat them.
I more or less agree Jaffa. I also think Japan will get to the Semi Finals and Korea to the Quarters. Perhaps one of them could reach the Final (although from what I've heard, home advantage might turn out to be a disadvantage if Korea play in the final - which is in Japan).

Japan in particular have played the most exciting attacking football I have seen in this tournament. In the second half against Russia, they were like a team from another planet, running into space, zipping the ball around, and fighting like mad in defence. The Japanese crowd were impressive too.