Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 13-10-2004, 05:56 AM

hugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at dusk
Quote:
Originally posted by B the Bad

What is the fine line between a "Wide Midfielder" and a winger then? Wingers start the game in R/L Midfield position, the way in which they play doesn't change what their position is and the duties they have been given (Beckham, told to cross the ball in etc). By your "logic", Ryan Giggs is still just a Midfield Left, whether he gets to the Bye-line or not. Winger, Side Midfielder, same bloody duties, same bloody thing. [/B]

Oh dear, the whole point is that they are not the same. A wide midfield player such as Beckham has a very different role to a winger such as C Ronaldo. Of course the way they play determines what their position and duty is. From your way of thinking when Sven gets Gerrard to play on the left of midfield he is employing him as a winger which is absolutely not the case. He is on the left of midfield and has a certain job to do, that job is not the same as a giggs or duff whose job it is to bomb up and down the left wing, beat players, create and basically terrorise the opposition.
You are clearly getting muddled about all this!
Old 13-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Good Morning

B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad
Quote:
Originally posted by hugosabin
Oh dear, the whole point is that they are not the same. A wide midfield player such as Beckham has a very different role to a winger such as C Ronaldo. Of course the way they play determines what their position and duty is. From your way of thinking when Sven gets Gerrard to play on the left of midfield he is employing him as a winger which is absolutely not the case. He is on the left of midfield and has a certain job to do, that job is not the same as a giggs or duff whose job it is to bomb up and down the left wing, beat players, create and basically terrorise the opposition.
You are clearly getting muddled about all this!

Erm, far from muddled this end. But that end, I'm not too confident about. I know what you and millions of other people across the planet define as a Midfield Left or Right. Doesn't mean I agree with it, at all. I know you are talking along the lines of the Ray Parlours and the Sergio Conceicaos of the world (who both still get crosses and shots in, but in a more orthodox and simple style). But, to me, it's just an old fashioned term, for a certain style of player (IE, less attacking players playing the wings) that hardly exists anymore. You play on the wing, you get crosses in. You don't play defensively on the wing, or you're not going to get anywhere. Hence every time Gerrard has been put on any wing, he's been worthless.
You said "He is on the left of midfield and has a certain job to do", what is that job? To defend? Play defensively? Never, you're on the wing for one reason, to work the flanks and get crosses in, or you may as well just not have someone on the flanks if they're not going to do that.

My original point was, Beckham was a winger. He gained ALL his glory and class at first from getting crosses in, down the wing, in attacking positions. Not to mention the occasional classy through ball when he drifted centrally. For me, all the set pieces and free-kicks he takes are merely a bonus and he shouldn't be hailed as a great because of that reason.
Old 13-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
It's hilarious that those who claim to know the game eventually show themselves up to be clueless.

Shiz ma niz.
Old 14-10-2004, 08:01 AM

hugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at duskhugosabin wrote that song of summer that blackbirds sing at dusk
Quote:

Hence every time Gerrard has been put on any wing, he's been worthless.
This is getting very boring so I will make my last comment about all this. Gerrard has never been put on the wing, he has been asked to play left midfield a few times, that is not the same thing! I disagree that he was worthless.
Anyway B the Bad, enough about this has been said, we disagree and that is that.
Old 14-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Good Morning

B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad  B the Bad
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
It's hilarious that those who claim to know the game eventually show themselves up to be clueless.

Shiz ma niz.
I didn't claim anything. But thank you anyway. =)
Oh, and you've not done much to prove me to be "clueless". But it took you guts to state that, well done.

Quote:
This is getting very boring so I will make my last comment about all this. Gerrard has never been put on the wing, he has been asked to play left midfield a few times, that is not the same thing! I disagree that he was worthless.
Anyway B the Bad, enough about this has been said, we disagree and that is that.

Very boring, at least we agree on one thing. Don't you see, playing on the side of the pitch is pointless, unless you are a defender or an attacking player. Your "side midfield" bollox is just drivel, and gets Football nowhere. And gets Sven or any other Manager nowhere. As for "he has been asked to play left midfield a few times", what, you mean left of Central Midfield? Cause if not, you mean the WING. If you don't mean either, then you're talking out of your behind as are many Managers. OH MY, HESKEY IS ON THE LEFT, WHAT DOES HE DO THERE? HE KICKS PEOPLE AND FALLS OVER.
Old 14-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Mark Hughes reckoned it took a deflection off the defender's outstretched boot and I think he may be right. Jones had it covered otherwise!! They didn't follow up Hughes's idea on the TV, so can't be sure.
Just wanted to jump in to say, "Deflection my ascot"

Last edited by Funk Butter; 15-10-2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old 15-10-2004, 02:25 AM

Quote:
OH MY, HESKEY IS ON THE LEFT, WHAT DOES HE DO THERE? HE KICKS PEOPLE AND FALLS OVER.
Your little comment about a certain Mr Heskey has completely made my point and confirmed that you clearly can not think or converse the least bit constructively. The only way I can comprehend the persistent nonsense that you spout is to think that you were doing it for your own amusement, in which case I have no complaints at all.
Perhaps you should stop trying the pundit and stick to Champ manager...
Old 15-10-2004, 02:54 AM
Top Banana

BUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
What Derry did against West ham in the play off final was play left midfield, not left wing and dare I say it he did it very succesfully and made our midfield very solid. That is an example of a left midfielder influencing a game in a way a winger can't.
Old 15-10-2004, 05:48 AM

exactly. another fine example
Old 15-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Shake it Baby

LLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Just seen it again, it WAS deflected off Simon Davies...
You need glasses Ben
Old 16-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Good Morning

Quote:
Your little comment about a certain Mr Heskey has completely made my point and confirmed that you clearly can not think or converse the least bit constructively. The only way I can comprehend the persistent nonsense that you spout is to think that you were doing it for your own amusement, in which case I have no complaints at all.
Perhaps you should stop trying the pundit and stick to Champ manager...

Not converse constructively? ha ha, is that a joke? If I hadn't added that boisterous remark on the end, you would have scratched your head and tried to offer a rebuttal the best you could. But you didn't, instead you took that example of subjective nonsense that I spieled, and used it as poor evidence for my supposed "lack" of argument in this pathetic debate. That's very prejudice and naive of you indeed. The point still remains, playing a person on the wing to do anything other than attack, is very boring and mostly futile. Oh and "This is getting very boring so I will make my last comment about all this", little liar, you've posted twice since =)
I think I will wait till the new Champs comes out instead, but thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally posted by BUNGLE
What Derry did against West ham in the play off final was play left midfield, not left wing and dare I say it he did it very succesfully and made our midfield very solid. That is an example of a left midfielder influencing a game in a way a winger can't.

Don't get me wrong, playing 4 Midfielders who are very strong and competent Footballers will make for a very solid Midfield indeed, but it just screams negativity in the long run. Most teams (especially promoted teams, such as Palace) play to not get beat. What the hell is with that? EVERY game (even against the Man Uniteds etc) should be played to win. Or you will always be the same poor team.
People don't take chances. Fergie took a chance, and sold Beckham, now he has Christiano Ronaldo who is much better and isn't married to a snob who will cause him career troubles. THAT, is positive Management. Hats off.
Old 16-10-2004, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Oh and "This is getting very boring so I will make my last comment about all this", little liar, you've posted twice since =)
The temptation has been too great, my apologies!!