Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM

CaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
Try some shoes on and find out what you feel most comfortable in. Some people find running shoes more comfortable.

Also look at your socks, another thing that can solve blisters.
I'd agree with this.

I started running in these about 3-4 years ago and I just don't get blisters any more. All the way up to marathon distance.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
Exactly the same socks I wear.

Can't find them in the grouped way on the more mile site but it tends to be cheaper direct To view the link you have to Register or Login They do discounts for running clubs too so get your club to contact them.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Thanks guys......I think it may have been the socks.

Cricket wanker.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
I run in these.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Best bit of running kit I have.... Love them, but being a guy and it bit tardy, I normally create a hole in the big toe. After a few wears. No blisters at all, though.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 PM
or maybe not so civil

civil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
The other thing I've found works is vasoline on areas where the blisters appear most often when running anything much longer than 5k
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 PM
No Self Control

catty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
Fartlek is a good speed session and makes you pay attention to your pacing.

Intervals are good but can be hard to do on your own. I lead some sessions for my club and one that's gone down quite well is 3 mins at 5k pace, 1 min recovery (walking or just stop), 1 min at 1 mile pace, 3 min recovery (walking or just stop), then repeat that 2 more times. Only 12 mins of reasonably hard running but really works the legs and cardio system.
Did this this evening, really good, thanks
Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 PM
BBS Bicycle Guru

spunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspunky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I run in cycling socks (mainly because I get lots of them free) and never have a problem, but the few times I've decided to wear "sports socks" I get bad blisters on the arch of my right foot

Follow me on Twitter -@wally_cycles
@DuncanInglis

Quote:
Someone who bought their bike from Halfords telling Spunky his advice on bike repairs is crap!

Priceless :)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
8 miles in 1:20. Finally starting to cut some time whilst upping the distance with my marathon training
Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Went for my Sunday morning one hour waddle yesterday as usual.

About half way in I saw a couple running towards me. They were running at a lick, with all the gear, she had her hair in a tight bob, he was wearing wrap around shades.

They were running really close together and I thought how sweet, but when they were really close I noticed they were holding a string between them. Close is one thing but that's a bit OTT was my first thought, she though smiled at me and said hi. He stared straight, I smiled back and said hi too realising then that he was blind and she his running guide.

Impressive and uplifting to see
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Enfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEnfield eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
+1 for the cycling socks rep.
Stay away from the rotten cotton for longer distances.
Even the cheap ones from Lidl, Aldi and Decathlon works for me.
In training for first half marathon. Easier than imagined, just run a minute a mile slower than 10k pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
8 miles in 1:20. Finally starting to cut some time whilst upping the distance with my marathon training
Following on from Monday's 8 miles, managed 10.5 tonight in 1:40. Since I got a proper running belt for phone storage rather than arm strap my time and distances have improved dramatically
Old 09-02-2017, 05:28 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Following on from Monday's 8 miles, managed 10.5 tonight in 1:40. Since I got a proper running belt for phone storage rather than arm strap my time and distances have improved dramatically
Well done Aj
Old 11-02-2017, 12:44 PM

che12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bit bloody nippy for cross country today!

Think I have about ten layers on! Yep, southern softie :-)
Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
The Running Thread

After a hamstring strain in November I'm back running. At the London Winter Run last week I was pleased to sneak just under 50mins and a bracing 16k in 1:29 at 0700hrs this morning.

Happy to be back on it after being limited to swimming and cross-training.

Have the Surrey HM in mid March and before Christmas was hopeful of a PB. Not now tho, the final 4K today was a little tough. Got the puff, the legs don't have the strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 11-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
The Running Thread

Quote:
Chaps I'm trying to shed a bit of weight.

Have done a stone but I have another to go. Unfortunately running isn't an option due to osteo arthritis in my left knee.....

Today I walked eight miles in my old Adidas Sambas in two hours. Consequently I have blistered feet.

Can anybody reccomend a good quality pair of trainers suitable for walking distances, and also training in the gym.......it's been a few years!

Cross trainers or running shoes .....I defer to your wisdom.

If you've not sorted your running shoes, look at ONs.

Superior to my conventional running shoes I wore previously. You can also buy and enjoy a 30 day money back if you don't like them.

And double skinned socks will mitigate blisters as has been said previously.

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Interested in your views on taking a HIT / interval approach to running.

For context, I am not building towards an event - but go running primarily to improve fitness and body shape, as well as finding it terrific thinking time. I run on roads in the winter and bridle paths thought the Summer. Last Summer my gradual route growth got me to 14k in about 1h 20m (and a chance encounter with Alice the Eagle). Over time I shed my love handles and toned up, but felt a bit conflicted about whether to run further or faster. Then Winter and work put a temporary halt to things and since New Year have got back in to it, but deliberately not timing myself and trying to stay in the "aerobic" zone.

Today I did;
1k jog to loosen up and overcome oxygen deficit
Ten 45 second "sprints" (they may not look like it to the casual observer, but I am moving just shy of 100 kgs formed in to a non-aerodynamic shape) - interspersed with about 20 seconds walking.
1k warm down jog back.

I am aiming to trim up and make as efficient use of available time as possible. I noticed that there is an optimum "rest" interval, where breath and pulse is stabilised but no stiffness/lactic build-up has set in.

Any views, comments or experience to share?
Old 13-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe View Post
Interested in your views on taking a HIT / interval approach to running.

For context, I am not building towards an event - but go running primarily to improve fitness and body shape, as well as finding it terrific thinking time. I run on roads in the winter and bridle paths thought the Summer. Last Summer my gradual route growth got me to 14k in about 1h 20m (and a chance encounter with Alice the Eagle). Over time I shed my love handles and toned up, but felt a bit conflicted about whether to run further or faster. Then Winter and work put a temporary halt to things and since New Year have got back in to it, but deliberately not timing myself and trying to stay in the "aerobic" zone.

Today I did;
1k jog to loosen up and overcome oxygen deficit
Ten 45 second "sprints" (they may not look like it to the casual observer, but I am moving just shy of 100 kgs formed in to a non-aerodynamic shape) - interspersed with about 20 seconds walking.
1k warm down jog back.

I am aiming to trim up and make as efficient use of available time as possible. I noticed that there is an optimum "rest" interval, where breath and pulse is stabilised but no stiffness/lactic build-up has set in.

Any views, comments or experience to share?
Have not specifically undertaken HIT, but do intervals as part of my training when fully engaged. The shortest being x8 400m with 90 second rests at somewhere around 04.30km pace on current ability.

Quote:
He isnt top class mate

Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 13-02-2017, 02:24 PM

immoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betrayimmoralgiant is like ice, their footing does betray
Interval sessions are good for strength building which helps with speed but I think it's largely pointless if you're not concerned about time/speed in races and if you haven't built up a good aerobic system.

There's also a increased risk of injury with the short/sharp stuff compared to the longer slow run.
Old 13-02-2017, 02:45 PM

I would say that HIIT is a great way to strip fat, though it generally doesn't keep the fat off for a long time if that makes sense?

I have completed lots of HIIT before on a treadmill which normally involved 20 seconds faster pace (whatever pace this be is up to you) followed by 10 seconds rest/slow recovery/

You can tailor it to pretty much anything but depending on fitness I would work around a 1:2 ratio of hard work to lower rate work to start with until ideally building up to 2:1.

Should have added as stated above, it can cause a few niggles and I have only ever really done it on a treadmill or exercise bike so may be different outdoors.

Last edited by aj4england; 13-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 13-02-2017, 07:34 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Thanks for the views.

Interesting about injuries, as instinctively I though that less time pounding along would reduce the risk. I have never been as attentive as I should be with warming up / down, particularly when I only used treadmills - when I become more focussed on the times/distances. No surprise I hurt my hammy and it still gets a bit sore now, two years later!

I think I'll stick with it for a few weeks and see what happens.