Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 22-04-2021, 07:00 PM
An old creakey.

Trolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
Money attracts players, not ex player managers. You seem a bit out of touch with the reality of todays players.

A young less experienced manager, I can see that having us in the Championship in a season.
My dear Since1968.

I of course don't know with any certainty, but my instincts veer me to believing that Steve Parish will attach a greater "Weighting" to a chappie who has experience in the Premier League.One might desire this, but whether one can achieve it is a different matter altogether."Wor Roy" depending on the circumstances of any "Parting of the ways", might provide some advice for Steve Parish in relation to an appointment ?? My good self might be "Way off radar" with my thinking which happens with increasing regularity..
Old 22-04-2021, 07:04 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
Money attracts players, not ex player managers. You seem a bit out of touch with the reality of todays players.
I know where you're coming from, but some of them must still love playing the game. Cocky bastard that he is, James Maddison chose to stay with Norwich when he could've moved up, and there's a case that another cocky bastard, being Jack Grealish, decided to stick with Villa. Money plays a larger part I guess, but I wouldn't put an entire generation down as two-dimensional greed mongers, they can still earn big dollar even at places like little ol' Palace.
Old 22-04-2021, 07:15 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
I know where you're coming from, but some of them must still love playing the game. Cocky bastard that he is, James Maddison chose to stay with Norwich when he could've moved up, and there's a case that another cocky bastard, being Jack Grealish, decided to stick with Villa. Money plays a larger part I guess, but I wouldn't put an entire generation down as two-dimensional greed mongers, they can still earn big dollar even at places like little ol' Palace.
I had this debate with someone on the super league thread, who believed that footballers don't care about winning the world cup, the Euros, or generally representing their country.
Old 22-04-2021, 07:21 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
I had this debate with someone on the super league thread, who believed that footballers don't care about winning the world cup, the Euros, or generally representing their country.
I think what money probably does is bring in outside influences. These players don't become great players by thinking dollar signs, they think glory. Just look at our own Wilf and Eze.
Old 22-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Send Us Victorious

Prince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is herePrince Phillip Sam the man is here
Trolley, using my loaf and not wishing to sound a muffin, but I reckon it might go jointly to experienced and up and coming coaches, Terry & Deon.
Wor Burtons.
Old 22-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Phillip View Post
Trolley, using my loaf and not wishing to sound a muffin, but I reckon it might go jointly to experienced and up and coming coaches, Terry & Deon.
Wor Burtons.
I can't decide if this is so bad it's good or just so bad
Old 22-04-2021, 08:58 PM
An old creakey.

Trolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrolley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Phillip View Post
Wor Burtons.

My good self has erupted into mirth.The noise would do justice to a "Byre" at milking time.Marvellous fayre.
Old 23-04-2021, 08:20 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Chelsea have people trafficked the best of the best kids in the world into their academy... its no surprise they haves ready for first team action (unlike us)

Also Lampard initially had to look at the players available to him because at the time Chelsea had a transfer ban.
Whilst that is a factor I disagree it was the key one.

Look at Derby. His success there he had Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool who was top scorer, but he also had Mount and Tomori on loan from Chelsea who had played for Morris the previous season in the 23s. Without Mount or Tomori they would not have finished in the play-offs.

When they went to Chelsea, Morris had intimate knowledge of exactly what the younger players could offer, which ones were worth places and which ones were not.

Lampard has not yet been tested without access to the best talent from one of the country's top 2 academies (in recent years) and on that basis would be a risk.
Old 23-04-2021, 08:34 AM
An old creakey.

To my thinking (Which is often "Way off beam") one could consider all the so called "Favourites" (A new chappie each day seemingly) and find negatives if one is of that mind.
Howe,Just been relegated. Lampard, lack of experience.Dyche, football not attractive.Vieira, no experience of managing in the Premier League blah,blah,blah,ruddy blah.
Old 23-04-2021, 08:56 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolley View Post
To my thinking (Which is often "Way off beam") one could consider all the so called "Favourites" (A new chappie each day seemingly) and find negatives if one is of that mind.
Howe,Just been relegated. Lampard, lack of experience.Dyche, football not attractive.Vieira, no experience of managing in the Premier League blah,blah,blah,ruddy blah.
Precisely.
If we are to keep thinking along those lines then the best option would be is to keep Roy on as manager, but if we feel it is time for change then whoever we appoint will carry a risk factor especially if we do not financially support the manager in the transfer market as we tend to do.
Which would suggest just what a good job Roy Hodgson has done which maybe goes un-appreciated by many on here.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:17 AM
An old creakey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Precisely.
If we are to keep thinking along those lines then the best option would be is to keep Roy on as manager, but if we feel it is time for change then whoever we appoint will carry a risk factor especially if we do not financially support the manager in the transfer market as we tend to do.
Which would suggest just what a good job Roy Hodgson has done which maybe goes un-appreciated by many on here.
My dear LuieJack

As my good self has asserted a few times, it might be "Wor Roy" himself who has decided to enjoy his well-earned retirement, leaving Steve Parish with no alternative but to appoint a new man to wear that "Sure" coat.Perhaps,maybe,possibly etc, Steve Parish would really like to retain the "Status Quo" but it is "Wor Roy" who has made his mind up.All of this could be poppycock on stilts with my good self being "Way off beam" which has been my trademark.
This is the way my mind is working currently and others might vehemently disagree thinking it is just the thoughts of an "Old Creakey" who should be consigned to the "Dustbin of history".

Last edited by Trolley; 23-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:18 AM

Crybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrybin Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If you replace Roy with a tippy, tap pretty football manager, the championship beckons, I assure you. Dyche is the only candidate that in place I’d be comfortable with. The trouble is ah la Fulham and Norwich pretty football is gissed all over by the muppets on match of the day. It will always be as in boxing, a good little one will always be done by an average big one. The prettier teams are prettier and beat you, and the rest will kick the crap out of you, and bully you to defeat.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is here
I am surprised more people don’t put Wilder in the mix. His managerial statistics are very good, and has more than 15 years in management. You can’t have a win percentage average of more than 43% with four different clubs for that long without having something about you.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:25 AM
An old creakey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Kneevil View Post
[B]I am surprised more people don’t put Wilder in [/B]the mix. His managerial statistics are very good, and has more than 15 years in management. You can’t have a win percentage average of more than 43% with four different clubs for that long without having something about you.
Dear Evil Kneevil

My good self seems sure (Where's my "Sure" coat ? !) that Wilder has been one of the umpteen "Favourites" at some stage but all gone very silent about him in recent times.Yes, 'Positives' definitely.
As an aside, my good lady wife wants us to make yet another trip to Glades Shopping Centre in Bromley,for heaven's sake.Not for me,I have told her "There is the car, you can go alone".Only so much ruddy shopping I can take.

Last edited by Trolley; 23-04-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
I am surprised more people donít put Wilder in the mix. His managerial statistics are very good, and has more than 15 years in management. You canít have a win percentage average of more than 43% with four different clubs for that long without having something about you.
He was discussed somewhere on this ever-growing thread

I hadn't realised he'd won LMA Manager of the Year four times
Old 23-04-2021, 10:53 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
I am surprised more people don’t put Wilder in the mix. His managerial statistics are very good, and has more than 15 years in management. You can’t have a win percentage average of more than 43% with four different clubs for that long without having something about you.
Win % in the PL which is what matters where we are looking is 27% a couple below Dyche and Howe. His final 12 months were terrible though.

If you look at win % in a decent league then its Viera who had a win % of 40% with Nice. Ironically it was 45% this season when he was sacked.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:13 AM
An old creakey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Win % in the PL which is what matters where we are looking is 27% a couple below Dyche and Howe. His final 12 months were terrible though.

If you look at win % in a decent league then its Viera who had a win % of 40% with Nice. Ironically it was 45% this season when he was sacked.
My dearest Great Gonzo
People get attracted by "Names".If The 'Nice' manager had been some unknown chappie called 'Patrick Ventura' and not 'Patrick Vieira' there would be no conversation about "Nice" and Ventura's win%.History is littered with famous players who have not gone on to be successful managers,my good self is thinking about Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore.Mr Lampard and Mr Rooney have not "Covered themselves in glory" but with the players there could well have been or there are exterminating circumstances.
Please tell me to "Button it" if you think my good self is spouting poppycock.

Last edited by Trolley; 23-04-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolley View Post
My dearest Great Gonzo
People get attracted by "Names".If The 'Nice' manager had been some unknown chappie called 'Patrick Ventura' and not 'Patrick Vieira' there would be no conversation about "Nice" and Ventura's win%.History is littered with famous players who have not gone on to be successful managers,my good self is thinking about Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore.Mr Lampard and Mr Rooney have not "Covered themselves in glory" but with the players there could well have been or there are exterminating circumstances.
Please tell me to "Button it" if you think my good self is spouting poppycock.
Just saying those who have dismissed Vieira as an option have given very little reason as to why. His record is pretty decent. Wonder if there was a different reason for his departure from Nice? If it was based on results it looks like it as a poor call.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:32 AM

Johnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Will we be asking Roy to come back at Xmas to do a rescue mission?
Old 23-04-2021, 11:41 AM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
In 20 or so years there will be a number of middle aged men living in massive houses, driving fancy cars and being the envy of the neighborhood and kids will ask, "what did the man at number 14 win to be so rich", the answer will be "nothing, he just played for a lower PL team"