Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:38 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
I just listened, enjoyed the pod. I could listen to people chat about Palace all day (regardless if I agree or not).

Some good points made about player fatigue and mistakes.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:27 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
Shouldn’t be mean but I just find him irritating. I think he spouts a lot of nonsense and can even dominate kd with it, which is an achievement in itself.
I don't mind him, I find Adam Sells the exact same as you described JC, I tend to last 10 minutes when Adam is on and turn it off. Thankfully he hasn't been on much this season so I've had a good run.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 03-01-2020, 11:50 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
I don't mind him, I find Adam Sells the exact same as you described JC, I tend to last 10 minutes when Adam is on and turn it off. Thankfully he hasn't been on much this season so I've had a good run.

Sellsy personally knows the players, and used to coach Wilf.... I love hearing his insights.
I think they’re all decent... dunno why people dislike em.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:11 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Adam generally does the post match pod these days I think as he goes home and away. I like them all and look forward to listening to them. The one with Joel on was great pre Christmas. The only one that I do find hard to listen to at times is Enders. Have nothing against the guy and sure he's a really nice guy. Just at times his voice hurts my ears. Would never be enough for me to turn off though.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:19 PM

JimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJimmyAG came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have enjoyed the pod format this season. Seems to be more regular and varied with the 'podder' (?) rotation
Old 03-01-2020, 01:02 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Sellsy personally knows the players, and used to coach Wilf.... I love hearing his insights.
I've grown to like him.. he's a massive hodgson fanboy but that's ok. I haven't really heard anyone assess accurately quite why we create so little. I kind of get it, we play three workmanlike midfielders. However we still seem prone to long long periods without shots on goal. I have a few thoughts on it but haven't heard anyone really assess that in an insightful way on any of the pods.
Old 19-01-2020, 05:03 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Interesting point dismissing pulis’ ability to do as much with so little. You might be right but he did more with less for palace. Admittedly over a short period. The miracle pulis performed is very much underrated these days. I would certainly prefer to have this squad now than the one he had to select from!

Pulis 26 games 38 points 1.72 pts per game
Hodgson 97 games 122 points 1.26pts per game

Kept saying 4th in 2019. It was 7th.
Old 19-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Interesting point dismissing pulis’ ability to do as much with so little. You might be right but he did more with less for palace. Admittedly over a short period. The miracle pulis performed is very much underrated these days. I would certainly prefer to have this squad now than the one he had to select from!

Spot on. No doubt Pulis was an absolute **** but he performed managerial miracles with that squad.
Old 19-01-2020, 06:14 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Spot on. No doubt Pulis was an absolute **** but he performed managerial miracles with that squad.
What he did to change our fortunes was a masterclass in football management. But like you say, he is a lying, devious ****.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 19-01-2020, 06:51 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

What Pulis did is the most impressive of all the managers we’ve had since coming up. But I’m not sure he would have gone on to build on it.
Old 19-01-2020, 07:08 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Really enjoyed the pods this season. Weekly and the post match. The latter being my favourite I guess. Sellsy and Rob do a good job on the matches and always pick out some sort of key insight, backed up by anecdote. Nice balance of footballing knowledge and the passion of fans and I look forward to hearing them. The points can be repetitive but that’s because the issues remain the same and I listen to every one so..... But that’s also inevitable for any club tbh. JD is always good and adds balance and TBH his dad is a bit of a star. Find myself agreeing with pretty much everything he says, knows his football, Palace, and is a pragmatic long suffering fan.

These days the weekly one is a bit like the midweek natter down the pub with old drinking mates, some know more than others and I often disagree with them, some you warn to more than others, just like the pub, but a good bunch. I think the changing guest seat has improved things because it mixes it up and changes the nature of the dialogue and input from the other 2. I enjoy Streety’s wise and logical inputs as a guest occasionally. What’s never in doubt is that they are Palace and share the pain. I do embarrassingly find myself talking back to them, often starting with ‘that’s bollox’ which amuses my better half . Great stuff.
Old 19-01-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
What Pulis did is the most impressive of all the managers we’ve had since coming up. But I’m not sure he would have gone on to build on it.
I agree.. I also agree that it’s unquestionable that Hodgson has been doing a good job at palace. The part where I divert somewhat from the pod is the assertion that he’s undoubtedly our best ever manager.

We are doing decently in a strange premier league season. Are we performing miracles? Nah. We aren’t any weaker than sheff u, burnley, newcastle or southampton and points wise you can throw a blanket over us all.

Has he surpassed pulis? No
Has he surpassed coppell? No
He’s probably surpassed big sam on account of a lack of spending on his watch albeit he benefits from big sams spending.

He’s been an able manager in our second best period in history. So he warrants an honourable mention. I just don’t think he warrants the sells treatment he gets every single week without fail.
Old 19-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
The only downside to being a patreon is having to listen to pod extras using the bloody awful Patreon platform.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 19-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
I agree.. I also agree that it’s unquestionable that Hodgson has been doing a good job at palace. The part where I divert somewhat from the pod is the assertion that he’s undoubtedly our best ever manager.

We are doing decently in a strange premier league season. Are we performing miracles? Nah. We aren’t any weaker than sheff u, burnley, newcastle or southampton and points wise you can throw a blanket over us all.

He’s probably surpassed big sam on account of a lack of spending on his watch albeit he benefits from big sams spending.

He’s been an able manager in our second best period in history. So he warrants an honourable mention. I just don’t think he warrants the sells treatment he gets every single week without fail.
It's not a science is it. Just a subjective opinion. If you take his recovery after FDB's woeful start on arrival, the 4th place form in the calendar year and our 9th position after failing to replace AWB and Bats etc., getting through this horrendous injury spell surely puts him up with the best. All of his time in the PL which is surely the highest standard we have competed in.

For me that puts him past Pulis. Pulis did the saving bit (as did Roy) but Roy has gone to do more and evolve the style and improve things. Sam isn't a real contender. Coppell is of a different era and much of the legend is through a misty eye or two because the football wasn't always great back then but always a legend.

I don't know - if he wasn't in the top two of modern times then I would be flabbergasted. Number 1 - today it feels like a yes but it's a feeling not a fact..
Old 19-01-2020, 05:52 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
It's not a science is it. Just a subjective opinion. If you take his recovery after FDB's woeful start on arrival, the 4th place form in the calendar year and our 9th position after failing to replace AWB and Bats etc., getting through this horrendous injury spell surely puts him up with the best. All of his time in the PL which is surely the highest standard we have competed in.

For me that puts him past Pulis. Pulis did the saving bit (as did Roy) but Roy has gone to do more and evolve the style and improve things. Sam isn't a real contender. Coppell is of a different era and much of the legend is through a misty eye or two because the football wasn't always great back then but always a legend.

I don't know - if he wasn't in the top two of modern times then I would be flabbergasted. Number 1 - today it feels like a yes but it's a feeling not a fact..
I remember in the early years of Coppell he struggled ( but the club was in a mess then and he was just steadying the ship ) . However although during this period the football was not great ( he had very limited resources ) . But there were some excellent entertaining times under Coppell , promotion , finishing 3rd in Division 1 , the Cup Final . My mind could be playing tricks but sure he brought in Wright , Bright , McGoldrick , Thomas , Redfearn , Young , Thorn , Pemberton . Gray - some of that football was exciting to watch .
Old 19-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
I remember in the early years of Coppell he struggled ( but the club was in a mess then and he was just steadying the ship ) . However although during this period the football was not great ( he had very limited resources ) . But there were some excellent entertaining times under Coppell , promotion , finishing 3rd in Division 1 , the Cup Final . My mind could be playing tricks but sure he brought in Wright , Bright , McGoldrick , Thomas , Redfearn , Young , Thorn , Pemberton . Gray - some of that football was exciting to watch .
Absolutely - sorry the cup team played some good football. But that wasn't true of his whole time with us is all I meant. Often when I read posts it sounds as if we played champagne football back in his day when for long periods it was a struggle and defensive. Doesn't diminish the man or his legend for me - needs must. Careless words as they say
Old 19-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

Agree with that.

I’d love to see Hodgson backed to see what he could achieve with more quality, especially in the final third.
Old 20-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post

You really cannot compare the Hodgson recovery to the Pulis one in my view. Pulis performed a bigger miracle with a far far far weaker set of players (delaney, moxey, bannan, KG, kebe and not to mention no wilf!). Hodgson is performing excellently with probably closest to our best ever squad (albeit not head and shoulders better or worse than anyone around us).

I would not want Pulis right now BTW!
Old 20-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I have to agree with the previous poster. I stopped listening due to alot of the new people on end of last season, also the pod started to take itself bit too seriously. Something changed when they started doing the ‘Extra’ podcast. Could have just been me but I couldn’t stand the injoke humour anymore.

Sells does has the odd anecdote but he ends up like a walking cliche: ‘make the ball stick while you are in the ascendency’ I could count on him saying this on every podcast with other phrases. I guess that is the culture around proffessional football, people just repeat the same phrases hence the players having limited ways in describing events in post match interviews.

In all though I respect that it is great effort they all make and it is of a good standard the podcast, I just stopped enjoying it and switched off. (The reason why I’m here on this thread was I quickly saw it at the top and wondered if I was missing anything and yet people are saying the same things that made me stop)
Old 20-01-2020, 09:04 AM

"i would say to you" or a slight deviation on that :-)

sellsy has grown on me as i said earlier.. i would probably like for him to be challenged a bit more though or it becomes a bit repetitive. KD does it a bit when they are on the same pods and he's entertaining to listen to, you don't really feel like KD has a particularly in depth knowledge of the game of football itself tactically etc. he's charismatic enough to get away with it. He clearly knows what it's like to be passionate about supporting a club though (which is enough of course).

Both the FYP post match pod and the BofTN preview ones are genuinely excellent podcasts. That stand up against non palace podcast material that i listen to. The others are less consistent.