Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Wilf.came.to life on Monday when he was out on throwing and he has runners in Bats and JP ahead of him.
Yes but you wouldn't start a game like that, would you? You'd get thrashed, I think.

Mateta's ahead of Bats, for me, and Benteke ahead of both.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I guess the thing is we play with one striker, and Wilf. Wilf is keeping Bats out of the team. When Bats was starting, early in the season, he really didn't offer much, and I suppose he lost his opportunity.
I see it more like Dom and Adam.
As usual I agree.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:03 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
I don't know about that. I think at the start of the season Roy wanted to, and did, play Batshuayi more. Unfortunately Michy didn't really take his chances and his all round game didn't seem to be working with the rest of the players.

Benteke came in and earned the place. Wilf works fairly well alongside him too.

As for Mateta, it's still early days. But he, similarly, hasn't done enough to show he deserves to start ahead of Benteke.

They do appear to be big signings but by the PL standards, neither deal was a particularly expensive one for a striker.
Hereís where I am with the strikers:

1) I believe that if we are going to continue with Zaha +1 up front, because Wilf runs the channels, the guy who plays with him is basically a lone striker. He must be able to hold it up, and ideally have pace to go in behind.

2) Mateta is mobile, and 6í4Ē. I like his movement, and a great goal vs Brighton. However Iím not convinced by him. He struggles to hold it up, we havenít seen him look dangerous running with the ball, and he hasnít really threatened aerially. Very early days but Iím not that impressed, and I am not convinced right now that we should make this transfer permanent. Would like to see him start soon so that we can make a decision on him, now it looks like we are safe.

3) Benteke has had a much better season. He has helped out defensively with headers. However, despite the paucity with which the ball is delivered into the box at head height, Iíve been disappointed with the number of trademark Benteke headers weíve seen attacking their goal. If we renew, I only see him as back-up now so wages will have to be even lower.

4) Batshuayi is still a cracking finisher. That strike with his left vs Everton was a thing of beauty. However, he still canít hold it up, canít run with it, doesnít work hard, is offside and contributes nothing but goals. £30m? I wouldnít take him for £3m taking into the account the wages. He would be better off going to a better team that create lots of chances. Heíd probably do very well at Leeds. But heís not for us.

5) Ayew is a runner. He is selfish. He works hard and his street football skills paper over the deficiencies. A squad player, and replacement for Wilf, sure. I think he has been very poor playing right wing though, and the fact he is starting there shows how bad Andros has been.

6) Wickham, the injury sicknote, is 27, can score at this level, and if he could just keep himself fit and mobile he could be our best option. Itís a big ďIFĒ but Iíd persevere. He is still scoring for the reserves. If he can keep himself fit for the remainder of the season then hopefully we can sign him up for another season and the new manager can give him a blank slate. Hodgson doesnít rate him. But with a pre-season under his belt he could be the best partner for Wilf. Ok in the air, mobile when up to speed and technically decent.

Wickham and Mateta need chances to show what they can do. Personally, I feel we still need to look for another striker in the summer.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Hereís where I am with the strikers:

1) I believe that if we are going to continue with Zaha +1 up front, because Wilf runs the channels, the guy who plays with him is basically a lone striker. He must be able to hold it up, and ideally have pace to go in behind.

2) Mateta is mobile, and 6í4Ē. I like his movement, and a great goal vs Brighton. However Iím not convinced by him. He struggles to hold it up, we havenít seen him look dangerous running with the ball, and he hasnít really threatened aerially. Very early days but Iím not that impressed, and I am not convinced right now that we should make this transfer permanent. Would like to see him start soon so that we can make a decision on him, now it looks like we are safe.

3) Benteke has had a much better season. He has helped out defensively with headers. However, despite the paucity with which the ball is delivered into the box at head height, Iíve been disappointed with the number of trademark Benteke headers weíve seen attacking their goal. If we renew, I only see him as back-up now so wages will have to be even lower.

4) Batshuayi is still a cracking finisher. That strike with his left vs Everton was a thing of beauty. However, he still canít hold it up, canít run with it, doesnít work hard, is offside and contributes nothing but goals. £30m? I wouldnít take him for £3m taking into the account the wages. He would be better off going to a better team that create lots of chances. Heíd probably do very well at Leeds. But heís not for us.

5) Ayew is a runner. He is selfish. He works hard and his street football skills paper over the deficiencies. A squad player, and replacement for Wilf, sure. I think he has been very poor playing right wing though, and the fact he is starting there shows how bad Andros has been.

6) Wickham, the injury sicknote, is 27, can score at this level, and if he could just keep himself fit and mobile he could be our best option. Itís a big ďIFĒ but Iíd persevere. He is still scoring for the reserves. If he can keep himself fit for the remainder of the season then hopefully we can sign him up for another season and the new manager can give him a blank slate. Hodgson doesnít rate him. But with a pre-season under his belt he could be the best partner for Wilf. Ok in the air, mobile when up to speed and technically decent.

Wickham and Mateta need chances to show what they can do. Personally, I feel we still need to look for another striker in the summer.
Don't think I disagree with any of that.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
I would have thought that with safety virtually guaranteed , now is the time to give Mateta game time . Find out this season how he copes with a run of matches , we do not want to start next season still not knowing if he is good enough or not . I would have thought that our Summer transfer decisions on forwards would be a lot easier if we could see that he can adapt . Maybe play him as a 2 with Benteke , or in place of Benteke - we know what Benteke offers . Is Roy planning with next season in mind or is he purely trying to finish as high as we can ( whether we start with Benteke or Mateta will not affect our final position much in my opinion ).

Interesting comments on midweek pod about Batshuayi . They agreed he is the best finisher at the club but does not help out defensively or hold up the ball . The comments were that we knew all this when we brought him in and we do not play in a way that will give him many chances , so why did we get him ?
We didn't buy him (which is probably a good thing and means it was less risk) but I think we did need a poacher in the squad too. He's made a few useful contributions this season. Maybe not enough to make the loan look like good value but enough that it hasn't been a complete waste of funds either.

There is also the possibility that at that time Roy wasn't completely sure where and how he was going to utilise Wilf this season, or even if he would definitely not be sold.

I think if Wilf hadn't started the season well as a striker then Michy may have played more. I also think there was a plan, or at least willingness, to let Benteke go. So again Michy may have been expected to play more. As the season unfolded Benteke has stayed and improved his form from recent seasons and deservedly kept Michy out.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 09-04-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:55 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
One thing I noticed on the pod was Kevin saying "Bats is a 30 million pound striker and someone will pay that for him".
I may have been away too long from the English game, but I can't see anyone paying half that for him.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:56 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
One thing I noticed on the pod was Kevin saying "Bats is a 30 million pound striker and someone will pay that for him".
I may have been away too long from the English game, but I can't see anyone paying half that for him.
If we could get him for 15m then that's a bargain.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Yeah probably - though with that salary it would be better for him to find a team where he’s not contending with the star player for a starting place.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:49 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
We didn't buy him (which is probably a good thing and means it was less risk) but I think we did need a poacher in the squad too. He's made a few useful contributions this season. Maybe not enough to make the loan look like good value but enough that it hasn't been a complete waste of funds either.

There is also the possibility that at that time Roy wasn't completely sure where and how he was going to utilise Wilf this season, or even if he would definitely not be sold.

I think if Wilf hadn't started the season well as a striker then Michy may have played more. I also think there was a plan, or at least willingness, to let Benteke go. So again Michy may have been expected to play more. As the season unfolded Benteke has stayed and improved his form from recent seasons and deservedly kept Michy out.
Except Matetas agent was asked about this and said that they were expecting this season to be one of getting used to the division and potentially not being a regular starter. He referenced next season as being when he expects JP to play more. He's clearly the clubs replacement for one of our three other strikers.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:19 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yeah probably - though with that salary it would be better for him to find a team where heís not contending with the star player for a starting place.
I think he would be a good addition if Wickham goes, he and Mateta or Benteke would make a good front line.

As KD said, Belgium are ranked no.1 in the world and we have 2 of their main strikers.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:17 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Not really the right thread for this question, but as there are a couple of our Spanish based posters contributing at the moment it's as good a place as any to ask it. How was Batshuayi's stint on loan at Valencia? I have seen that his stats are one goal in fifteen games, but how was he played there? Did he get many starts? What do their supporters think of his spell there?
Old 27-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Registered Snoozer

TomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don’t know if anyone has listened to the post Leicester match pod but I have to say Adam Sells is absolutely delusional. Completely ruined this pod, taken apart on the Mateta discussion by Rob but he won’t recognise it. It’s actually made me annoyed, completely arrogant in his views when to be honest he’s the Michael Owen/Alan Shearer on MOTD of the pod
Hodgson. De Boer. Allardyce. Pardew. Warnock. Pulis. Holloway. Freedman. Burley. Hart. Warnock. Taylor. Dowie. Kember. Francis. Bruce. A. Smith. Coppell. Venables. Lombardo. Coppell. Bassett. Coppell. A. Smith. Coppell. Mullery. Kember. Gradi. Allison. Venables. Allison. Head. Graham. Rowe. G. Smith. Spiers. Scott. Dawes/Slade. Rooke. Butler. Irwin. Moyes. Bromilow. Tresadern. Mavin. Maley. Goodman. Robson.
Old 27-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
Not really the right thread for this question, but as there are a couple of our Spanish based posters contributing at the moment it's as good a place as any to ask it. How was Batshuayi's stint on loan at Valencia? I have seen that his stats are one goal in fifteen games, but how was he played there? Did he get many starts? What do their supporters think of his spell there?
It was an unmitigated disaster, heís a laughing stock there.
But he did really well in the Bundesliga. Strange player - but the game was made for him yesterday with 20 minutes to go, should have replaced Ayew.
Old 27-04-2021, 08:05 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEagle View Post
I donít know if anyone has listened to the post Leicester match pod but I have to say Adam Sells is absolutely delusional. Completely ruined this pod, taken apart on the Mateta discussion by Rob but he wonít recognise it. Itís actually made me annoyed, completely arrogant in his views when to be honest heís the Michael Owen/Alan Shearer on MOTD of the pod
It was a decent POD but as you say he seems to be unwilling to even consider that Roy H may occasionally not make the right decision . Not sure why he tries to belittle others views . Generally he is ok , but has a blind spot where Roy is concerned.
Old 27-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Old School BBS

I just finished listening to it and felt that his constantly talked over Rob who was making a decent point that Adam seemed to completely ignore. Yes Benteke is in form, yes he doesn't deserve to be dropped, but we have 2 other strikers on the bench whom RH won't give run outs to for last 15-20 minutes of games. When he did v Everton we got an equaliser. His comment re the substitutions being excellent actually had me say "bollocks" to an empty car.

His point that they aren't playing themselves into contention is moot if they aren't given the chances.

Old 27-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Haven’t heard it, but bringing on McCarthy at that moment was utterly redundant, we all know that.
Old 27-04-2021, 08:45 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
I just finished listening to it and felt that his constantly talked over Rob who was making a decent point that Adam seemed to completely ignore. Yes Benteke is in form, yes he doesn't deserve to be dropped, but we have 2 other strikers on the bench whom RH won't give run outs to for last 15-20 minutes of games. When he did v Everton we got an equaliser. His comment re the substitutions being excellent actually had me say "bollocks" to an empty car.

His point that they aren't playing themselves into contention is moot if they aren't given the chances.
Did he really say the substitutions were excellent????

Jesus, Mary and the wee donkey.....
Old 27-04-2021, 08:59 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
I can't listen to him anymore - completely turned me off the post-match pod. I love the regular pod though.
Old 27-04-2021, 09:07 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Quote:
But one dropped down to the u23s and scored two whilst the other got 20 minutes at Everton and also scored. They've taken their chances when given recently which makes it even more baffling that they aren't used now
Old 28-04-2021, 04:36 AM
Old School BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
But one dropped down to the u23s and scored two whilst the other got 20 minutes at Everton and also scored. They've taken their chances when given recently which makes it even more baffling that they aren't used now
Which Rob didn't really get a chance to say, his frustration and building irritation (understatement) was very apparent.