Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Just listened to the podcast version of the show and he did mention his time at Palace, how great he thought the Palace fans were (especially the away followers) and how he never asked to leave Palace or instigated a move. I read this in his book - He turned up to training, got told to go and see Coppell and Steve told him, the Club had accepted an offer for him from Arsenal. His best mate, David Rocastle was at the Gooners and they had won their 2nd title in 3 years, so he was always likely to move.
He claims in his book, that he was so pleased to joining them, he didn't originally get much more, salary wise, that he was on, at Palace. Didn't blame him at all, for leaving and was only a bit disappointed he didn't really thank our Club, when he first left.
But certainly not an excuse, for the abuse he got, whenever he returned to Selhurst Park.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
Think Zaha missing him more than anything.

They ere the partnership like Wright and Bright.

You can easily double up on Zaha whereas you couldn't do that with Bolasie in the team
Yes exactly it is easier to double up on one side and shut down the threat but against 2 marauders it is much harder to do!
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Wright undoubtedly the most exciting player I've ever seen in a Palace shirt. He was absolutely electric, had it all.

Given the amount of shit he got for leaving don't really blame him for having the hump with some of our support.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
No shame to say i have manlove and gratitude for what he did for us. It got overshadowed, but that time when him and Brighty came on the pitch at HT in the Fulham 2013 game (Holloways last game, Kasami, 1-4 etc..) was a bit emotional, seeing them together on the pitch at Selhurst again. I guess the younger lot, or anyone under 35 following us must be wondering how anyone can question we had a player better than Wilf is, but we did and it was incredible to see him and the side transform together in that golden period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Friskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is here
It’s not even close. Wrighty was levels above Wilf (and Wilf is excellent).
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Probationary User

99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love 99%Love
Ian Wright , Wright, Wright ❤️
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99%Love View Post
not even the correct chant
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Eee-Anne..Wrong
Old Today, 05:25 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Finished listening to the interview, here if others want to listen
To view the link you have to Register or Login

In fairness to Wrighty, thr interviewer was quite intent in steering his answers towards his time at Arsenal, but he did make a point a couple of times in bringing it back to Palace.

Thought it was quite interesting when he talked about going into therapy. He said that when things took off at Arsenal he lost his way for a bit in the sense of his ego running away with itself and hurt a lot of people around him. Wondered whether it was around the time he and our fans were at loggerheads with each other because he certainly didn’t deal with it in a modest or understated way. His whole demeanour not long after he left was of someone who thought they were God himself. In the game he put us down for instance, his whole attitude was not nice at all. Not talking about the goal he scored, but he was acting like a man parading his gorgeous new girlfriend right in front of his gilted ex who had hit upon bad times, and was rubbing her nose right in it, kicking her while she was down. Just had this self righteous grin on him all afternoon. Was hard to take while experiencing the shock of relegation to boot. Of course, he probably felt justified because of the disgusting songs that certain sections sung about him, not to mention the abuse his family got; but he probably regrets not toning it down somewhat.

Have to say, despite what happened to his mum in regards of the graffiti sprayed on her house after Wright left us, she is apparently still a Palace fan, and only has pictures of Ian in his Palace days around her house.

Like others have said; if you lived through Wrighty’s entire time at Palace, it’s very hard to dislike him. Just gave us far too many great moments and memories.

On the whole Wilf or Wright argument...the way I would look at it is if you could sign a carbon copy of either player in his mid 20’s for Palace now, which one would you go for? I’d have to say Wright; because for all the absolute genius and literally jaw dropping skills and flashes of brilliance each game that Wilf brings to the table, Wright was just more effective, more clinical and ultimately would bring more points to the side. His character was so effervescent, larger than life and infectious, that he made those players around him believe they could achieve more too.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old Today, 05:46 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
This thread needs a few goals!

Some good ones in here including the cup final and at 1:57 the classic one v Wimbledon away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old Today, 05:46 PM

Don_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Best player I’ve seen in a Palace shirt

Simple as that for me.
He was brilliant, there's no doubt about that. But Don Rogers was my hero, I was always full of expectation whenever he got the ball on or near the halfway line and I'll never forget his 2 goals against Man U in 1972. What a day, 5-0. Though the best ever player for Palace in the 60 or so years I've been here was Kenny Sansom, the best full back I've ever seen. Including AWB. I still can't believe that we swapped him as part of a deal for Clive Allen. That deal has always seemed 'off' to me.
Old Today, 05:54 PM

palace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
Done **** all for the club, done even less when we asked him to help us out. Rarely mentions his time as a Palace player even rarer to see him at a Palace game.
He has on numerous occasions on TV spoken movingly about his time at Palace.
This is on another thread, death threats were written on his mother's wall.
A video interview with Ron Noades proves that Ron put a price up which Arsenal matched which led to the abuse written on his mother's wall by so-called Palace fans.

He was without doubt the best striker we have ever had at the club and could create a goal out of nothing.
Old Today, 06:56 PM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Rogers View Post
...the best ever player for Palace in the 60 or so years I've been here was Kenny Sansom, the best full back I've ever seen. Including AWB. I still can't believe that we swapped him as part of a deal for Clive Allen. That deal has always seemed 'off' to me.
Agree on Kenny, was so obviously England class from even his earliest performances. Thought Ashley Cole ran him a close second in the full -back role, though. Oozed talent, that lad. I remember telling an Arsenal fan that Cole was a future international, only for him to laughingly dismiss the idea on the basis that the player was only proven at lowly Palace and was unlikely to ever make the Gooners first team. Took every opportunity to remind him of that as Ashley's career hit the Heights over the ensuing years, I can tell you!
Old Today, 07:33 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Rogers View Post
He was brilliant, there's no doubt about that. But Don Rogers was my hero, I was always full of expectation whenever he got the ball on or near the halfway line and I'll never forget his 2 goals against Man U in 1972. What a day, 5-0...
My one gripe with Don Rogers is he came to Palace at 27 after playing 400 games for Swindon, and made "only" 70 appearances for Palace in his short spell with the club.

To me it was fun having him for a season and a half, but in my mind he was always a Swindon man, and a tad past his prime (27 being a little older then than it is for the players today IMO).
Old Today, 07:39 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
My one gripe with Don Rogers is he came to Palace at 27 after playing 400 games for Swindon, and made "only" 70 appearances for Palace in his short spell with the club.

To me it was fun having him for a season and a half, but in my mind he was always a Swindon man, and a tad past his prime (27 being a little older then than it is for the players today IMO).
Signed a school book of mine on my way to Purley High School, he was loading his golf clubs into his car. Nice bloke, loved watching him play.

Lost the school book
Old Today, 07:41 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99%Love View Post
Arse song....