Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 22-03-2020, 01:18 PM

FH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFH_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I took my maths GCSE two years ago and the main reason that I achieved a grade 8 was down to 'maths genie'. It's a free website with videos on every possible topic from grade one all the way to grade 9, so should be useful regardless of where your son is at currently.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 22-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Wolf...I think you’ve had an interesting idea, but probably not necessary to put yourself through the actual exams.

There are loads of good resources available, check out workbooks on sites like WHSmiths, Amazon etc. Also YouTube videos on which people take you through worked examples.

When helping my son back in years 7-8, I found some of the maths terms and phrases a foreign language at first, but keep going. Since then, he’s done his own stuff but still found those books good for practice and revision.

Your son might be like mine was initially, understood it fine in class but a couple of weeks later had forgotten some of it. The answer is repetition and practice, practice and practice until the learning is imbedded more deeply. This can definitely be done at home....give him practice papers and then mark them for him (you can get the answers with the papers, thankfully!).

In your case, I’d go back to Year 8 (11/12 years old) in the maths so that he builds up confidence, because hopefully he’ll know some of that earlier work. That helps rebuild a more solid foundation before you move on to his Year 9 (13 year old) maths.

Chunk it up into sensible amounts, little and often is better than long slogs that might frustrate and upset you both. Chart progress, and be prepared for hiccups along the way.

Hope that helps.
Old 22-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Thanks all.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 01:50 PM

PalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Any mathematicians out there? Or maths teachers?

Iíve decided that the only way I can help my 13 year old lad to pass his Maths GCSE is to take it myself. I havenít got a scooby whatís involved but I know heís struggling with it and his teachers are not predicting success.

I took my O level in 1984 (a year early ... itís a long story) so I was 15 and I achieved a grade C so itís been 36 years since I even thought about it.

Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Online? Evening class? Text book? I donít want to smother the lad, but Iíd like to be able to help him with it. Heís even listened to the suggestion and hasnít had a melt down which is a positive.

Any tips, hints or ideas gratefully received.
This is either phenomenal planning in advance, or the kid's a genius! He's 13 and taking GCSE already?
Old 22-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceRichard View Post
This is either phenomenal planning in advance, or the kid's a genius! He's 13 and taking GCSE already?
Planning old boy. Heís not 14 until the end of July but no more school until next September I reckon.

So two years for us both to crack it.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 02:36 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Itís common for schools to start the maths GCSE curriculum in Year 9.
Old 22-03-2020, 02:42 PM

PalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Planning old boy. Heís not 14 until the end of July but no more school until next September I reckon.

So two years for us both to crack it.
My son is in GCSE year and is missing out on exams. He did ok but not that great in the mocks, so he was actually annoyed that he didn't have the chance to improve in May/June. Good luck to you, it's amazing what you can remember when you get going.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Got any nuts?

Quote:
My son is in GCSE year and is missing out on exams. He did ok but not that great in the mocks, so he was actually annoyed that he didn't have the chance to improve in May/June. Good luck to you, it's amazing what you can remember when you get going.
Cheers mate. My diligent daughter is pissed off that she canít do her A levels...

My son on the other hand wishes it was him.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Any mathematicians out there? Or maths teachers?

Iíve decided that the only way I can help my 13 year old lad to pass his Maths GCSE is to take it myself. I havenít got a scooby whatís involved but I know heís struggling with it and his teachers are not predicting success.

I took my O level in 1984 (a year early ... itís a long story) so I was 15 and I achieved a grade C so itís been 36 years since I even thought about it.

Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Online? Evening class? Text book? I donít want to smother the lad, but Iíd like to be able to help him with it. Heís even listened to the suggestion and hasnít had a melt down which is a positive.

Any tips, hints or ideas gratefully received.
Havenít read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned

Heís got another 2 years until he takes his exam presumably so no need to panic yet.

Doesnít the school do enrichment classes after normal school hours ?
Old 22-03-2020, 03:30 PM
Got any nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Havenít read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned

Heís got another 2 years until he takes his exam presumably so no need to panic yet.

Doesnít the school do enrichment classes after normal school hours ?
No panic. Planning.

And I reckon itíll take me two years anyway.

Was thinking of enrolling in an evening class or something but the advice so far is to do it online. I dunno, I quite like the idea of actually sitting in a class room and doing it face to face.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:31 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
"enrichment classes"? F~ck the f~ck off.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Got any nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Lifeís too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
That’s what they call them

Would like them to change it to ‘fvcking extra bastard work after school you little shithouses’ ? Like in your day

Actually, quite catchy that
Old 22-03-2020, 03:51 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thatís what they call them

Would like them to change it to Ďfvcking extra bastard work after school you little shithousesí ? Like in your day

Actually, quite catchy that
You're older than me, you daft old bellend.
Old 22-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
This is great parenting.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-03-2020, 03:56 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Khan Academy and Symbolab.com helped me to my Maths degree. Recommend.
Old 22-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
Khan Academy and Symbolab.com helped me to my Maths degree. Recommend.

Maths degree. Much respect.
Old 22-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Got any nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
This is great parenting.
Virtue signalling.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 22-03-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned

He’s got another 2 years until he takes his exam presumably so no need to panic yet.

Doesn’t the school do enrichment classes after normal school hours ?
His child is probably home till September...might as well spend a small portion of that time on something productive!

If you get the balance right and work together nicely, it can be enjoyable.

I imagine lots of parents are thinking of similar ways to help keep their kids motivated etc.

Last edited by Yoda; 22-03-2020 at 07:42 PM.