Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf5000 View Post
How is it clear? What qualifications do you need and how do you judge performance if you have no visibility of his recommendations?
I think that's a fair question and probably without an easy answer. I guess I wouldn't expect the best choice as a Premier League DOF to obviously come from someone whose credentials are:

- a long but mediocre playing career centred on second tier football (not a major factor either way)
- a short and unsuccessful career as a football manager
- a short academic course on being a DOF
- a long association with the club
- someone appointed in an emergency by a Chairman

I don't think that rules him out but picking up someone with some experience or track record for the job should have been possible for a PL side surely.

From the outside, it's difficult to tell how good he really is and so I am dubious of those that are so sure that he is the dog's bollox or just bollox. All we can do is look for signs of progress. After so long in charge of that area now I would say that the players we have signed under him have created the issues that many have cited as being the problem with age and so on. The attempts at talent spotting have failed dismally to date, there is no obvious pattern and even with budget constraints we might expect to have more options in the squad. The DOF really can't blame the Manager or the Chairman for the players brought in. He can point at money constraints and he can point at players not being picked but at the eof the day, the DOF is accountable for the squad and it's ongoing management. It's his job to fill the gaps identified by the manager with players that fit budget, team and squad requirements. If not, WTF does he do? We haven't unearthed any new talent and there isn't any sitting in the wings jostling for a match day squad place. The ones doing that have been here for years. His best young player efforts to date are are currently playing in Turkey, Alloa, Poland while Meyer watches the odd game go on around him occasionally here,

So, maybe the grand plan will emerge in the Summer. Currently it looks like the proverbial bag of s***e and it's starting to smell a bit like it too but roses are hidden and often grow in that stuff, so you never know. Spring could do with hurrying up mind.....
Old 09-02-2020, 12:47 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by xian1 View Post
Perhaps, we can crowdfund a new player ?
That's how Sheffield United purchased Glyn Hodges from us all those years ago.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
That's how Sheffield United purchased Glyn Hodges from us all those years ago.
The good old days before Second division players cost £30M!
Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM

Friskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is here
Quote:
The worst deals weíve done are Benteke and Sakho. Benteke came before Dougieís appointment and Sakho arrived a week or two after so not sure we can lay these at dougieís door.

How much does Dougie have to do with setting the subsequent strategy of buying older players on frees/small fees but big salaries rather than younger players for a larger fee but smaller salaries with resale value. Given the rising market in player values over the last few years on the back of the increasing size of the premiership deal, itís obvious that investing into younger players should have been the strategy. Perhaps we didnít have the funds to do this and the Sakho/Benteke deals are the primary reasons why this may have been the case.

If this strategy was Dougieís decision, Iíd agree with you as this has totally screwed our club. If this was driven by the owners, the manager or the budget being blown prior to Dougieís arrival, then dougieís been hung out to dry.

As I said before, the problem is, we just donít know how to allocate blame but I canít imagine that owners such as SP or the Americans would allow Dougie the freedom to come up with such a crap strategy and if that were the case, I canít believe heíd still be in the job.

The end result is that the state of our squad and wage bill is a total mess.
I didnít name players. But the summer just gone was terrible too.

If heís been hung out to dry and has no say then we should get rid of him. If he has a say and wanted to make the signings weíve made then we should get rid of him. Either way heís pointless.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:00 PM

NickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNickinOx came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
[B]The worst deals we’ve done are Benteke and Sakho. [B/] Benteke came before Dougie’s appointment and Sakho arrived a week or two after so not sure we can lay these at dougie’s door.

How much does Dougie have to do with setting the subsequent strategy of buying older players on frees/small fees but big salaries rather than younger players for a larger fee but smaller salaries with resale value. Given the rising market in player values over the last few years on the back of the increasing size of the premiership deal, it’s obvious that investing into younger players should have been the strategy. Perhaps we didn’t have the funds to do this and the Sakho/Benteke deals are the primary reasons why this may have been the case.

If this strategy was Dougie’s decision, I’d agree with you as this has totally screwed our club. If this was driven by the owners, the manager or the budget being blown prior to Dougie’s arrival, then dougie’s been hung out to dry.

As I said before, the problem is, we just don’t know how to allocate blame but I can’t imagine that owners such as SP or the Americans would allow Dougie the freedom to come up with such a crap strategy and if that were the case, I can’t believe he’d still be in the job.

The end result is that the state of our squad and wage bill is a total mess.
Based on the rough formula that has been cited regarding FFP, the reported wages and transfer fees for those two alone account for roughly 1/5 to 1/6 of our entire income. It’s not their fault, but that seems crazy for a club our size. I suspect that because of their wages and fees along with a couple of other players we are absolutely hamstrung by our wage structure, and I suspect it is disproportionately being spent on 3-4 players.
So as not to pick on those two: if Zaha was not one our our own, would people on here be happy with his end product given his reported massive wages?