Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 15-03-2019, 03:15 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Selhurst capacity in 1960s

I would add that for a big game there would be a wall of fans at the very top of the Holmesdale terrace and on the top of the mud bank. That may have been their preferred position but for younger viewers that’s the way it was.

The choice as always was to push your way through until you could see the pitch.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 15-03-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 15-03-2019, 05:45 PM

CJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I should add it would also depend on how much the directors would have wanted to understate the attendance given the vast majority paid cash on the door.
The Leeds game was the 6th round of the FA Cup and was all ticket as I can clearly remember queuing down Holmesdale Road very early on a Sunday morning. Thus it would have been very difficult to fiddle this game.
Old 15-03-2019, 05:55 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ PLUM View Post
The Leeds game was the 6th round of the FA Cup and was all ticket as I can clearly remember queuing down Holmesdale Road very early on a Sunday morning. Thus it would have been very difficult to fiddle this game.
I thought it may have been all ticket but my memory fades, but I take your point.

Just depends on the couple of thousand tickets that may have been sold but were never entered in the ledgers

Old 15-03-2019, 06:12 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Some one mentioned the grass being dangerous, no what was dangerous was the mud with many going "arse over tit " during a downpour.

Interested in seeing the ground from during my young days without modern upgrades such as floodlights.
Old 15-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ PLUM View Post
Indeed.

I had to get up early, catch a bus from New Addington and
another from Croydon to join the queue. The ticket and programme are somewhere in the loft, probably. Tickets were a novelty in those days.
Old 15-03-2019, 07:14 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
I have one of the duffel bags, unused with tag label!
The guy who sold it to me found it in the attic of a seaside gift shop in Rhyl, where it had laid unsold for nearly 50 years!

Brilliant! I had exactly that bag. Not in the same condition after a few school terms. I don't recollect much, if any, replica kit in those days - if there was, it was out of our price range. My mum bought me a claretish nylon tracksuit from Ghinns, in Redhill, and ironed on a Palace cloth badge. Tracksuit long gone, but I still have the cloth badge I rescued. Will try to find it and post up a pic. And I still have a plastic pennant from the same period How much did you pay for the bag, DE?
Old 15-03-2019, 08:32 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I think 30 quid from memory. It's in such pristine condition that another will never come along so had to have it, just because its so of its time and such a lovely example of something that would now be considered 'vintage'
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 15-03-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle View Post
Can only see 1 person!

Just ho w many were AT that Leeds game and how did our players find each other playing in a snow storm?
I think Kylie may have been joking.

Old 16-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
You may have meant the league match against Chelsea on 27 December 1969 when the official attendance was 49,498 and beat the previous record set against Manchester Utd in August that year. The Chelsea attendance remained the record until the wonderful evening of 11 May 1979.

The longest time between the setting of records was between January 1926 (41,586 against Chelsea in a cup match) and February 1965 (41,667 against Forest in a cup match).

There was a period of big attendances when the crush was so great at the gates at the junction of Park Road and the Holmesdale that you could lift your feet off the ground and get carried out in the crush.
It was before my time but looking back it appears the biggest crowds we had 69-73 were Chelsea and Man Utd, always north of 40k.

It's also interesting that both Spurs and West Ham nearly always attracted bigger crowds than Arsenal, and we struggled to get 30k against Liverpool.
Old 16-03-2019, 02:29 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle View Post
Can only see 1 person!

Just ho w many were AT that Leeds game and how did our players find each other playing in a snow storm?
That picture was from a match that had been postponed. Can't think why..
Old 16-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
That picture was from a match that had been postponed. Can't think why..
Club didn't have an orange ball.
Old 16-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
Club didn't have an orange ball.

Old 16-03-2019, 03:02 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Great thread, great pics chaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ