Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old Today, 08:03 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
I think AWB is still inexperienced, a tournament will do him good. Defensively, he is the best RB in the league, offensively... he needs to work a bit more on his game. Against Czech Republic... our right back wasnít gonna be called on too much defensive wise... so I understand why Walker was chosen.

Defensively, I think Walker is terrible... utterly thick... Wilf has torn him apart... Iceland scored a goal against England because he switched off... he even let Schlupp score against City. There must be something about him for Pep to spaff 50m on him, but I just donít see it.
Old Today, 08:43 AM
Glad all over

dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsussexcpfc View Post
England messed Zaha about and didn't pick him when they should have.
Unfortunately being a Palace player means being messed about and ignored with excuses, AWB should play for DR Congo because England will find an excuses not to pick a Palace player.
I used to go to England games or watch them on TV but cannot be bothered these days as they only pick players from the big clubs or media darlings (Bournemouth, Leicester, Everton & Burnley)
My sentiments for many a year...so AWB didnít feature for the 21s due to the potential injuries in the seniors, didnít replace e TTA as an announced call up, and then didnít appear on the bench for the Seniors...I wouldnít be too happy with that!
Old Today, 08:49 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
There’s a lot of misplaced paranoia on this thread. AWB is fantastic but he’s not even played a full season in the premier league yet. And we already have three excellent right backs. AWB’s time will come. Southgate has demonstrated that he picks players from outside the top clubs.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Could be bollocks but the commentators said like fact on the England game Southgate is keen not to decimate the u21 squad before a big tournament in the summer.

If so thatís not awful, keep a lot of the young prospects together. When it comes to them AWB is competing with Arnold, trippier and Walker... makes sense for him to be u21 and get the experience with the tournament in summer and potential future team.

Thatís fine if garath has said to Arron he wants him to have game time, get experience and is very much in the mix
This, thereís no smaller club conspiracy, no issue against palace or awb. People had barely heard his name 12 months ago. Shame we have three decent right backs ahead of him, but his time will come. Carry on improving with us, nail down the u21 right back slot, hopefully win a tournament and the next season might be a different story
Old Today, 10:16 AM

eagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleforlife came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
Thereís a lot of misplaced paranoia on this thread. AWB is fantastic but heís not even played a full season in the premier league yet. And we already have three excellent right backs. AWBís time will come. Southgate has demonstrated that he picks players from outside the top clubs.
Hudson-Odoi hasnít played a full 90 minutes yet, never mind a full season, in the Premier League yet. If Hudson-Oslo played for Palace, thereís no way he would have been called up, let alone capped.
Old Today, 10:38 AM

Ron Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wasn't it Roy who pi$$ed Wilf about giving other blokes 80 mins in 2 friendlies ahead of him just giving Wilf a few mins almost to bow to media pressure?

Anyone else hear that knob Danny Mills on Sly picking his team of the season so far? What a prick! Named a defence of only top 6 players and when the presenter seemed embarrased by AWB not being picked and prompted him, he spluttered justifying opting for the unspellable Chelsea bloke and then actually said it was because he's not from a top 6 team and that the defenders in lower teams have more pressure to deal with?? What?

Then picked Declan Rice from Wet Spam, 9th place having spent a bomb on players this season?

Oh wel!
Old Today, 10:46 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsussexcpfc View Post
England messed Zaha about and didn't pick him when they should have.
Unfortunately being a Palace player means being messed about and ignored with excuses, AWB should play for DR Congo because England will find an excuses not to pick a Palace player.
I used to go to England games or watch them on TV but cannot be bothered these days as they only pick players from the big clubs or media darlings (Bournemouth, Leicester, Everton & Burnley)
There is not an agenda against Palace player. Zaha was given his debut whilst we were in the Championship.
Old Today, 10:52 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I think AWB is still inexperienced, a tournament will do him good. Defensively, he is the best RB in the league, offensively... he needs to work a bit more on his game. Against Czech Republic... our right back wasnít gonna be called on too much defensive wise... so I understand why Walker was chosen.

Defensively, I think Walker is terrible... utterly thick... Wilf has torn him apart... Iceland scored a goal against England because he switched off... he even let Schlupp score against City. There must be something about him for Pep to spaff 50m on him, but I just donít see it.
Good post , Walker and currently Pickford are the weak links imo.
Old Today, 10:54 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleforlife View Post
Hudson-Odoi hasnít played a full 90 minutes yet, never mind a full season, in the Premier League yet. If Hudson-Oslo played for Palace, thereís no way he would have been called up, let alone capped.
Very true , Odoi wasnít even playing on his favoured flank last night and imo lots to come from him.
Old Today, 10:57 AM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don’t think there’s an agenda, but clearly if you’re with a ‘big’ club you do tend to get international recognition much more quickly. I don’t think you’d have a chance in hell of getting a full England cap with no Premier League starts, unless you were with one of the top 6.
AWB will get his chance, but it’ll take a bit longer.
Old Today, 11:48 AM
Probationary User

Johnsonpen is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Could be bollocks but the commentators said like fact on the England game Southgate is keen not to decimate the u21 squad before a big tournament in the summer.

If so thatís not awful, keep a lot of the young prospects together. When it comes to them AWB is competing with Arnold, trippier and Walker... makes sense for him to be u21 and get the experience with the tournament in summer and potential future team.

Thatís fine if garath has said to Arron he wants him to have game time, get experience and is very much in the mix
Having game time in the Prem is the key thing which AWB has tons of
Old Today, 12:03 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
We are all understandably dissapointed wilf didn’t get into England in time and how ******* much we miss him every England game I watch.

It’s different with AWB.

The comparisons with odoi is there but not as straight forward as big club vs palace.

AWB has burst onto the scene from nowhere where as odoi has come through all the England youth teams, being huge part and winning tournaments. Southgate has worked with him and watched him for years. AWB has burst onto the scene recently and has been called up to the u21s. If it’s true that Southgate is eyeballing him for the full squad Monday then he’s there or there abouts so he’s not out cold.

That’s a big factor but even bigger is the competition. AWB has Walker, Arnold and trippier in a battle for the shirt ahead of him. That was the most heavily competed for place in the squad before AWB and even more so now. We are however screaming out for a player like Sancho or odoi. Having missed wilf we need someone like that to come through so we don’t just rely on crossing for Kane and having another player like that is freeing up sterling to play like he does at city.

In addition to that Southgate has been playing 3 at the back. AWB has never been in a back 3 or wing back and the others, especially tripper and Walker have.

Gutted about wilf though part of me is glad as we’ve still got him probably as a result. I don’t get the same bad feeling from this. It’s not a direct comparison between odoi and AWB in a big club vs palace context. IF Southgate is keeping AWB close and telling him the right things then it’s ok. He’ll get his chance and last night playing 4 at the back and looking comfortable is a huge boost to AWBs chances imo
Old Today, 12:24 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
He’ll play for England next season when he’s playing for a ‘big’ club
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
I donít think thereís an agenda, but clearly if youíre with a Ďbigí club you do tend to get international recognition much more quickly. I donít think youíd have a chance in hell of getting a full England cap with no Premier League starts, unless you were with one of the top 6.
AWB will get his chance, but itíll take a bit longer.
If you stand out in the youth teams of a big club, it stands to reason youíd a) be noticed b) likely be a better prospect c) get an earlier chance due to a) and b)

Standing out for Palace under 18ís is less of an accomplishment than standing out for Chelsea U18ís in truth.

If I stood out for F.C Porkpies over Beddington park, Iím not gonna be thrust into international football in a position we are already talented. His chance will come, because he will earn it.
Old Today, 12:50 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
I donít think thereís an agenda, but clearly if youíre with a Ďbigí club you do tend to get international recognition much more quickly. I donít think youíd have a chance in hell of getting a full England cap with no Premier League starts, unless you were with one of the top 6.
AWB will get his chance, but itíll take a bit longer.

4 of the starting 11 on Friday were from non big six teams and on the bench were 2 from Burnley, 1 from Soton, 1 for Bournemouth and 1 from Stoke. 4 of those players play in teams lower than us in the league. I agree players from big 6 teams always get noticed more and squad players in those teams are likely to be picked and played with a preference. Saying that though and with that terrible youth system of the big teams being able to literally take the better young players from the smaller teams for peanuts, one would expect that the better youth players are going to end up at the bigger clubs. I would say that Hudson-Odel is as good as anything we have in our first team and i cannot say he isn't good enough to play for England(tbf the top 6 teams in the PL are probably better than most national teams). This is not England of 3 to 4 years ago when we had a few world class players and the rest were average, we actually have a pool of probably 40 to 50 very decent players that could do a job for England and on top of that a number of world class or close to world class players. This is a good crop of England players, with a good attitude and youth on their side. AWB is a product of what has happened in England over the last few years where the quality of a number of young English players is way higher than it has been in years. I hope he listened to his head and keeps working in the hope he will get an England cap or more as that will be in a team that could actually win something.
Old Today, 01:02 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I
He wears nice spotted socks
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old Today, 01:29 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
If you stand out in the youth teams of a big club, it stands to reason youíd a) be noticed b) likely be a better prospect c) get an earlier chance due to a) and b)

Standing out for Palace under 18ís is less of an accomplishment than standing out for Chelsea U18ís in truth.

If I stood out for F.C Porkpies over Beddington park, Iím not gonna be thrust into international football in a position we are already talented. His chance will come, because he will earn it.
But if you stood out playing for FC Porkpies against Man City, people would conclude that you should be playing at a higher level!

Isnít the point that AWB has done brilliantly against top Prem attackers enough, regardless of the team he actually plays for?

Itís weird he was deemed not ready for these internationals, despite having played considerably more EPL matches than some of the youngsters who were chosen. How does playing reserve footy for Chelsea etc trump him for experience?

I can live with the decision that 2 others were ahead of him, so he might as well play for the younger England team.

But having watched that Czech team, Iím v confident AWB would have coped just fine with their forwards.
Old Today, 02:38 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
But if you stood out playing for FC Porkpies against Man City, people would conclude that you should be playing at a higher level!

Isn’t the point that AWB has done brilliantly against top Prem attackers enough, regardless of the team he actually plays for?

It’s weird he was deemed not ready for these internationals, despite having played considerably more EPL matches than some of the youngsters who were chosen. How does playing reserve footy for Chelsea etc trump him for experience?

I can live with the decision that 2 others were ahead of him, so he might as well play for the younger England team.

But having watched that Czech team, I’m v confident AWB would have coped just fine with their forwards.

That's why Walker was picked, not much defending to do, and he was very good driving forward. It was the right choice. AWB doesn't drive forward like that, he doesn't have the power and pace of Walker, but he is getting better going forward. When we're under the cosh against the likes of Germany and Spain, that's where he'll be at his best, as others here have pointed out.