Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:49 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyStreet View Post
We get it. You don't like Apple.
I actually like their hardware. Great design and build quality. But there are quite a few things I don't like, I do admit that. But then I could say the same about Google and Microsoft too.

However what I posted isn't to turn people against Apple, but to try and explain some of these terms and how worthless they are.

Last edited by The Omen; 10-03-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:52 PM
We scored three...

knowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietknowlesyUCLA came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The point is that regardless of how it is labelled, the screen will undeniably have a greater resolution on the yet-to-be-released Airs compared to the current version. I can notice the difference in screen resolution between my iPad Air and my MacBook Air, the former being much clearer.

If I had the choice at the time of buying the laptop, I would have considered the sharper screen depending on cost of course, but I am saying that screen resolution is now a new consideration for those looking to purchase a MacBook Air.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Ambrose Isn't an eagle.

deftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Budget wise I can stretch to a MacBook Air with the 8GB RAM. They've updated the graphics card and processor as of yesterday. Dixsons at Gatwick (I travel a lot) does this for £799. The MacBook retina will be £1050 plus. Also the connectivity is absolutely rubbish - no traditional USB ports!

2.5.10 - The Day we defied the odds

Twitter - stu_1984
Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is hereThe Omen Sam the man is here

Old 12-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Even better:

Old 13-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
Even better:

Dunno how genuine that is, but I can well believe the bit about Jobs would've sacked them on the spot.

There was a story (again, dunno how true) that floated around the industry that Jobs would regularly ask Apple employees to justify their position when he saw them around 1 Infinite Loop - if he didn't like the answer he sacked them there and then.
Old 13-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
The lack of ports is incredible.
Even if you do 100% of your storage in the cloud surely you'd want at least one USB. Just in case.
I bet if they canvassed every Mac user and asked them if they would prefer their new laptop to come with a USB port or not, everyone would say "with". I mean why not?
Old 13-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Apple have always taken a bold approach to the removal of technologies that they see as going out-of-date. Floppy drives, serial ports for kb/mice, CD drives... whether the user base liked it or not.

What I'd question is whether that judgement is still as sharp without Jobs. They're a very different company now. Everything is image over substance.

A friend of mine took his 3-year-old MBP to the genius bar thing in Kingston a couple of weeks back coz it was overheating. I knew exactly why, but humoured him and went along. Mac "genius" ran his AHT thing, waffled about having lots of programmes open, suggested perhaps upgrades or even a new one...

We got back to his flat and I looked at the MBP - sure enough, fan outlets caked with dust, as I've seen so many times before with older Macs (and PCs, for that matter). Gave it a quick blast with spray-duster and all is fine

Genius Bar my arse
Old 25-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Ambrose Isn't an eagle.

deftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedeftones_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Took the plunge on the new macbook air 13" - ordered from apple with an education discount for £789. Lovely bit of kit.

Twitter - stu_1984
Old 25-03-2015, 04:45 PM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones_eagle View Post
Took the plunge on the new macbook air 13" - ordered from apple with an education discount for £789. Lovely bit of kit.
How much is the education discount? 10%?
Old 25-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Ambrose Isn't an eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyStreet View Post
How much is the education discount? 10%?
There seems to be no set amount, depends on the item you're buying. You won't get more than £150 on anything.

Twitter - stu_1984
Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is here
I seem to have lost the "back" and "forward" buttons on Safari. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM

montstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
I seem to have lost the "back" and "forward" buttons on Safari. Any ideas?
Use Chrome!

But seriously Chrome is better however if you wish to persist with Safari under 'View" you will find 'customise toolbar' where you can default to the normal toolbar etc or add and subtract to make it how you want.

Steve Jobs
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is here
Cheers. Obviously I should have worked that out.

I'm sure Chrome is better, but I'm instinctively anti-google. Irrational I know, but I hate their dominance and the fact that their brand seems to have become a verb for some. I'd use it on a pc ahead of Explorer, mind.

Firefox is ok, but generally Safari does what it needs to.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:12 PM

montstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

I'm sure Chrome is better, but I'm instinctively anti-google. Irrational I know, but I hate their dominance and the fact that their brand seems to have become a verb for some. I'd use it on a pc ahead of Explorer, mind.

No probs and I hear you! And I was mostly joking, as a designer - Chrome just does more and also has a great inspector so I'm biased from that side.

Steve Jobs
Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I can no longer open iTunes on my imac. When I click on the iTunes icon in the dock nothing happens. If I go to finder → applications and click on iTunes then nothing happens. If I try and launch it via spotlight again nothing happens.

A quick search on Google suggested downloading iTunes again but this hasn't resolved the problem.

I also found a suggestion that I can right click iTunes in finder, select "show package contents" → MacOS → iTunes this will open a terminal window and open iTunes. This one works but is a pain. How can I get back to simply having an icon in the dock which I click on to open iTunes?

It is a 21.5-inch, Mid 2010 running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and I have downloaded the most recent version of iTunes 12.1.2.27.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:02 PM

Perhaps an obvious one but Have you restarted?

Steve Jobs
Old 04-05-2015, 05:04 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by montstar View Post
Perhaps an obvious one but Have you restarted?

Yes, tried that before re-installing itunes, haven't tried since though so will give it a try.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Nope, another restart hasn't helped.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM
'or 0=0'

Quote:

I really think you are missing the irony in this post. I really hope you didn't post this on an iPad...