Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM
its true we're red'n'blue

disco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco mixx kidd View Post
mackeeper installed with sierra weird, anyway deleted easily

typical i have late 2012 mac 21.5 , you can't change ram urself on this model urghh
it has 8gb thou, and i don't use it for anything much other than surfing

why do i get rubber ball? and how do i get rid of it cheers
Free up memory no longer really helping
Rubber ball or delayed response pretty constant and annoying
On windows you could defrag drive etc
What can I do to get my 2012 Mac running nicely please?
Deleted everything basically
Got 700gb spare of 1tb
Could I have deleted something essential? /Eek
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Got 700gb spare of 1tb
Disk Doctor might help ( free at App Store) but something is clearly not right. How much memory do you have?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Got 700gb spare of 1tb
I’d probably wipe the drive clean and start again with a fresh install of OSX. Perhaps even buy an external SSD drive and install the OS on that. Google is your friend.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Making it So

PT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Got 700gb spare of 1tb
Mate the hard disk drive in your Mac is incredibly slow. Blame Apple for that.

You should have four USB3 ports at the back of it.

The best thing you can do is get an external SSD drive, plug it into one of those USB ports and use that as the startup disk. Unless you have the knowhow, you might need a technical friend to format it and migrate all the data but it is totally worth it.

I did this a few months ago on mine and it is transformational.

The SSD drive which I bought is here To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 AM

disco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
Disk Doctor might help ( free at App Store) but something is clearly not right. How much memory do you have?
8 GB but not expandable
Mac on my dining table so external SSD a no no
Is it worth sticking with or would you bin it?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthingEagle View Post
I’d probably wipe the drive clean and start again with a fresh install of OSX. Perhaps even buy an external SSD drive and install the OS on that. Google is your friend.
Maybe I could try this?
Thnx
Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 AM

Ive got no data to transfer,all on Nas drive
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
I can't agree with PT109. I've got a 2011 iMac and it runs fine. Very rare to see the spinning beach ball, only happens when I'm transferring a lot of files. Something isn't right there. I'd back up your documents/photos and do a fresh install.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Cool I'll give it ago cheers
Old 13-11-2017, 12:23 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
High Sierra views, anyone?
Old 17-11-2017, 03:59 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I have a three part question for iMac experts.

What are people's thoughts about hard drive versus fusion drive for the iMac?

At some point in the future I will be replacing my current iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010). I don't use it for anything intensive, web browsing, streaming Netflix/iPlayer etc, iTunes, Sonos, email a bit of basic photo editing etc. I would probably be going for the base level 21.5 inch one again, I just want to future proof it so that it should keep going for as long as possible. If I were to upgrade it from the base level where is my money best spent? Fusion drive, extra ram or 4k retina with better processor?

The current machine is going fine and I hope to get a few more years out of it, but I see that it is listed on Apples list of products that are classified as "vintage in the United States and Turkey and obsolete in the rest of the world" I assume that this is nothing to be concerned about as long as it keeps working? To view the link you have to Register or Login

Finally, it is listed as being compatible with High Sierra, is it worth the upgrade right now for a relatively old machine or am I better off sticking with Sierra?
Old 28-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Has anyone ever experienced buying a refurbed Macbook from another source apart from Apple?

We need a new laptop and I'm keen to go back to Mac, but can't justify the prices.
A couple of colleagues have recently got old refurb models from Groupon at a fraction of the price. They both look fine and neither has had a problem so far (and apparently from authorised dealers with a year warranty), but would appreciate other advice.
Old 28-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Has anyone ever experienced buying a refurbed Macbook from another source apart from Apple?

We need a new laptop and I'm keen to go back to Mac, but can't justify the prices.
A couple of colleagues have recently got old refurb models from Groupon at a fraction of the price. They both look fine and neither has had a problem so far (and apparently from authorised dealers with a year warranty), but would appreciate other advice.
Friend of mine took this route for one of his kids and had no problems. Going to an independent (reputable) dealer means you get a warranty. I would go for it, just make sure the model you choose will accept current and envisaged OS. MacMan in Brighton and T. Wells are worth a look.
Old 28-03-2018, 02:27 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I haven't used them myself but I have heard good reports from Hoxton Macs.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 28-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Yeah, I had Honxtonmacs come up yesterday as recommended. They're at the more expensive end for refurb models.
I did some digging around the ones on Groupon and they actually come from the company my old place of work got their computers from. Who ironically is the laptop which I'm replacing (my toddler managed to have a go at it and 2 keys have stopped working!).
Old 27-07-2018, 04:28 PM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
I have a three year old Mac , which has suddently started to run very slowly and to have a few quirks ( for example Sonos can no longer connect to the itunes music library).

I am not running mackeeper or anything like it.
I have done the pram thing.
The disk is half full.
There is no malware or virii(?) on it.
I have repaired the disk.
I have run out of ideas?

Has anyone , please , got any suggestions?

T.I.A.
Old 27-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post
I have a three year old Mac , which has suddently started to run very slowly and to have a few quirks ( for example Sonos can no longer connect to the itunes music library).

The disk is half full.
I have run out of ideas?

T.I.A.
I have a 2011 iMac and I just changed my hard drive to a SSD. Given it a real new lease of life.
Old 28-07-2018, 12:43 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
I have a 2011 iMac and I just changed my hard drive to a SSD. Given it a real new lease of life.

Mine has a mofo fusion drive.
Old 28-07-2018, 12:24 PM

montstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontstar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidster View Post

The disk is half full.
I have run out of ideas?

T.I.A.
First are you sure you havent got any malware or viruses?

you should install sophos - its free - run it and it will make 100% sure

second you should run disk utility - from reboot is better (see below) but if thats a pain run it from the utilities folder first and see what that brings up

Best option
Reboot the Mac and hold down Command+R to boot into Recovery, or hold down OPTION.
Select “Recovery HD” at the boot menu.
At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select “Disk Utility”
Select the boot volume or partition from the left menu and click on the “Repair” tab.

Lastly what system are you running - if your not running the latest - Update!

Hope that helps

Steve Jobs
Old 28-07-2018, 01:59 PM
CANDUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by montstar View Post
First are you sure you havent got any malware or viruses?

you should install sophos - its free - run it and it will make 100% sure

second you should run disk utility - from reboot is better (see below) but if thats a pain run it from the utilities folder first and see what that brings up

Best option
Reboot the Mac and hold down Command+R to boot into Recovery, or hold down OPTION.
Select “Recovery HD” at the boot menu.
At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select “Disk Utility”
Select the boot volume or partition from the left menu and click on the “Repair” tab.

Lastly what system are you running - if your not running the latest - Update!

Hope that helps

Thank you.I will give it a go and report back.