Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 22-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
It has become what Microsoft was. The phones are not as good as the competition the computers are offering nothing special and you are ripped off at every stage. I stilll have my mac my iPhone Apple TV and ipad BUT I also have a fire stick, fire tablet and am weaning myself off. One HUGE thing for me is the last 10 years I have built calendars and photo books each Christmas for far flung relatives. Always expensive but good quality and simple to create and buy from iPhoto. Now you have to have an app and the thing is twice the price. Forget it I’m off to bonusprint at half the old price. ��

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 23-10-2018, 11:35 PM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
In fairness the Air Pods, iPhone and iPad are all still magnificent.

But on the computing side they've lost the plot. The keyboards on the recent laptops are just awful. From the best in the business to the worst. But hey, it's 0.2m thinner.

Too much power to Jony Ive in my opinion.
I like the new MBP (2016) keyboard. Better than the MacBook Air (2011) I used to have.

Touch Bar is just pointless, looks nice but never ever use it!

And yes, using Mojave. Seems a bit more sprightly to me. Like the dynamic desktop and stacks on the desktop other than that haven't really noticed any difference.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
It has become what Microsoft was. The phones are not as good as the competition the computers are offering nothing special and you are ripped off at every stage. I stilll have my mac my iPhone Apple TV and ipad BUT I also have a fire stick, fire tablet and am weaning myself off. One HUGE thing for me is the last 10 years I have built calendars and photo books each Christmas for far flung relatives. Always expensive but good quality and simple to create and buy from iPhoto. Now you have to have an app and the thing is twice the price. Forget it I’m off to bonusprint at half the old price. ��
Was getting bored of the iPhone and coveted my mates S9. Got an X in the US used for £480, at that price its very nice and the screen and FaceID I like a lot. Took about two days to get used to no button but love it now.

Apple TV I don't bother with, have a new iPad (with Pencil) and like that.

MacBook Pro is good, wouldn't swap for any other PC today.

Agree there is no real innovation (and hasn't been for the last few years) but if you shop around (and are lucky enough to go to the US regularly) then at that price I can't see any point in swapping out the ecosystem yet.

Rumours are there will be a new Mac mini October 30th. Now that I am very tempted in (for a home hub).
Old 23-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Away Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is here
Software purchase and multiple App Store accounts (computers, not mobile devices)

A query about App store and logins.

I want to buy Logic Pro for my son to use on my 'family' iMac.

If he subsequently buys a laptop for himself, will we be able to install/update etc on there using my Apple account.

Or is it possible to download the original from his own Apple account on the iMac for which I'm the main account holder?

I can't get a clear picture from what's written in discussion forums whether you can just login to different Apple accounts on the App store without it getting fixed to the computer.
Old 23-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
A query about App store and logins.

I want to buy Logic Pro for my son to use on my 'family' iMac.

If he subsequently buys a laptop for himself, will we be able to install/update etc on there using my Apple account.

Or is it possible to download the original from his own Apple account on the iMac for which I'm the main account holder?

I can't get a clear picture from what's written in discussion forums whether you can just login to different Apple accounts on the App store without it getting fixed to the computer.
Away, I just went and had a look and Logic Pro X supports family sharing so providing you and he use a linked account through family sharing then up to six family members can share the app - note it doesn't include in-app purchases.

Family sharing really is pretty cracking to be honest, I use it with all my kids and we share all apps across IOS and MacOS. All purchases are to the same credit card so you have to handle the paybacks etc but it really is great.
Old 24-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Away Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
Away, I just went and had a look and Logic Pro X supports family sharing so providing you and he use a linked account through family sharing then up to six family members can share the app - note it doesn't include in-app purchases.

Family sharing really is pretty cracking to be honest, I use it with all my kids and we share all apps across IOS and MacOS. All purchases are to the same credit card so you have to handle the paybacks etc but it really is great.
Thanks - I didn't think of that route.

If you switch on family sharing, can the others still purchase on their own account (I really don't want to be involved in all their iOS stuff) and do they still have their independent login to update their existing purchases?

My kids are both over 18 and have both been using iPhones for the last couple of years.
Old 24-12-2018, 08:47 PM

No once accounts are linked all the purchases are onto the main cardholders accounts, ie. probably you. The accounts themselves tho are still completely individual and nothing changes on them. You share everything, so if you buy a storage plan for IOS then they all get to use it. This is very handy as I get the 200Gb one and use it for photos and all kids backup to it too.

My kids that work but pay me back if they use it to purchase anything. Everyone can use everyones else purchases. All data is stored in your own private sections of the cloud so from a functioning point of view everything works as to day just share everything. If they both use Apple Music for example you can get a family plan (£15/mnth) and all of you can share that.

It really is simple to use and setup and removes of the pain in arse that used to come about with sharing accounts or logging on to each others machines.
Old 29-06-2019, 03:25 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Thinking about replacing my ten year old iMac as it’s starting to get sluggish and it can’t run the more recent operating systems (currently running High Sierra 10.13.6). Also my wife is a mature student so I can get the education discount until she finishes her degree in a few weeks time.

I don’t need anything particularly high spec, mainly used for web browsing, storing and viewing photos, storing and listing to music, email, streaming Netflix etc. Logically speaking I should go for the most basic 21 inch model they offer, however looking at the spec’s it seems that the next model up offers much more for an extra £200 (3.6 quad core vs 2.3 dual, 8th gen vs 7th gen processor, 4k display). If I went for either of these then would I be better off paying the additional £90 for a fusion drive? I would prefer a proper SSD but don’t want to pay Apple’s Price for one.

Another option which is tempting me is this offer from John Lewis for a 27 inch one:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I appreciate that it’s a two year old model, but I think it was the previous model to the current ones. Looks to be similar if not better spec’s compared to current mid-range 21 inch iMac with larger screen and fusion drive. Also I believe that on the 2017 27 inch model it is easy to upgrade the RAM unlike the current 21 inch version.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t go for the older 27 inch model which is on offer from John Lewis? From what I can see the changes since then are fairly minor, but I am no expert.
Old 29-06-2019, 03:42 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Specifications for the 2017 27inch model are here: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 29-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
You'll enjoy the bigger screen far more than you will the extra power (which you likely don't need and won't use).

It's also pretty easy to buy a upgrade kit and do a SSD yourself too if you want one.
Old 29-06-2019, 04:20 PM

TOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to OllieTOKYOPAUL belongs to Ollie
The only concern against getting a 27" is the distance you sit from the screen. Make sure you can sit down in front of it in the shop at the distance your desk gives you at home. I went for the 21" because I felt the larger screen would strain my eyes.
Old 29-06-2019, 04:36 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
You'll enjoy the bigger screen far more than you will the extra power (which you likely don't need and won't use).

It's also pretty easy to buy a upgrade kit and do a SSD yourself too if you want one.
Fitting a SSD sounds good, I didn’t realise that it was something that was easy to do (did it on my old MacBook years ago but that was pre unibody). Does that just apply to the larger model or can it be done on the 21 inch version too?

Last edited by Smoz; 29-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 29-06-2019, 04:37 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOKYOPAUL View Post
The only concern against getting a 27" is the distance you sit from the screen. Make sure you can sit down in front of it in the shop at the distance your desk gives you at home. I went for the 21" because I felt the larger screen would strain my eyes.
This is a good point, there isn’t a great deal of room where I use it, might have to juggle things around.
Old 29-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
Fitting a SSD sounds good, I didn’t realise that it was something that was easy to do (did it on my old MacBook years ago but that was pre unibody). Does that just apply to the larger model or can it be done on the 21 inch version too?
I'm sure there's a UK version, but this is the one I know!

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Though you are probably best off just getting the kit and buying your own SSD
Old 17-07-2019, 09:09 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

I left it too long and the John Lewis deal on the previous model is no longer available so I have ordered the cheapest 27" iMac. I went for the larger one not solely because of screen size but because it has user replaceable RAM, my current iMac is ten years old and I hope to get a similar lifespan from the new one.

I couldn't bring myself to pay a further £450 for one with an internal 1TB SSD so I have gone for a fusion drive. Am I better off buying an external SSD to plug in or waiting until the warranty has expired and getting an expert to fit an internal one? I have looked at various YouTube videos on doing it myself and don't fancy my chances.
Old 17-07-2019, 09:09 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

I left it too long and the John Lewis deal on the previous model is no longer available so I have ordered the cheapest 27" iMac. I went for the larger one not solely because of screen size but because it has user replaceable RAM, my current iMac is ten years old and I hope to get a similar lifespan from the new one.
I couldn't bring myself to pay a further £450 for one with an internal 1TB SSD so I have gone for a fusion drive. Am I better off buying an external SSD to plug in or waiting until the warranty has expired and getting an expert to fit an internal one? I have looked at various YouTube videos on doing it myself and don't fancy my chances.
Old 17-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Making it So

PT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPT109 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
\
Smoz - I did this on my iMac and never looked back.
Bought an external SSD and made it bootable by loading MacOS on it. Performance improvements were significant. Don't even use my built in HDD anymore!
If you need more info let me know - you don't need to be deeply technical to sort this.
Old 19-07-2019, 05:57 PM
its true we're red'n'blue

disco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdisco mixx kidd came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT109 View Post
\

Smoz - I did this on my iMac and never looked back.

Bought an external SSD and made it bootable by loading MacOS on it. Performance improvements were significant. Don't even use my built in HDD anymore!

If you need more info let me know - you don't need to be deeply technical to sort this.
Ohh could this fix my five year old Mac? Reinstalled os
nothing on 1tb hd but it's always got beachball or it freezes for 30 secs , annoying
Any other tips?
It's spec still ok 8gb ram intel 5
Just can't give it more ram as it's one of the few Mac's that's locked
Old 13-06-2020, 10:40 PM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My friends workplace have gone bust and is selling off their old equipment on the cheap, being in need of a new Macbook I am going to buy one but not being particularly techy wondered if these could be ranked as they obviously have such different specs:

Macbook Pro (2015) 3.1 GHz Intel Duel Core i7 16GB

Macbook Pro (2017) 3.1 GHz Intel Duel Core i5 16GB

Macbook Pro (2019) 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 8GB

Thanks in advance.
Old 13-06-2020, 11:06 PM
Banded by Moderationers

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeniro View Post
My friends workplace have gone bust and is selling off their old equipment on the cheap, being in need of a new Macbook I am going to buy one but not being particularly techy wondered if these could be ranked as they obviously have such different specs:

Macbook Pro (2015) 3.1 GHz Intel Duel Core i7 16GB

Macbook Pro (2017) 3.1 GHz Intel Duel Core i5 16GB

Macbook Pro (2019) 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 8GB

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the dollar but I’d forget about that 8GB one.