Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
I suggested on here about two months ago that Guiata should come in for the in-form Hen to help the change the impetus of the team from the back. So I'm taking some credit for this.

It's not just his reactions and mobility compared to Henno; the way he reads the game is great, his positioning and feet, he's calm and the defence has confidence in him.

Many times now, Guiata has pre-empted and gathered crosses which would have been a crisis for Henno. He makes it look easy.

Very similar player to Speroni. Relies on his wits and incredible reflexes rather than his size. He's added leadership from the back that Hennessey unfortunately could never provide.
I don't think you should take any credit as I really don't think your opinion had any effect. The credit should only go to Hennessey's back spasm and Guaita for taking his chance.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Since the poor cup game he has done well. One poor clearance last night where he fell over as he kicked straight to a Wolves player but the defence dealt with it so who cares. We have not had a keeper problem for a year now. We are not however scoring as many goals as we should do. What is the point of corner after corner when it never gets to a Palace player? Our GD is -7 after last night and that could be worth a place come seasons end. I still think we need a young up and coming keeper as third choice ASAP as we have two good keepers with four or five years and Henn is bound to get the odd back problem. Only a wanker would want any Palace player to fail (and we know who they are from the Hennessy thread)
Quote:
Rather have VD than VG.......
From the Palace/Leicester game.

You're a bit weird.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:34 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Since the poor cup game he has done well. One poor clearance last night where he fell over as he kicked straight to a Wolves player but the defence dealt with it so who cares. We have not had a keeper problem for a year now. We are not however scoring as many goals as we should do. What is the point of corner after corner when it never gets to a Palace player? Our GD is -7 after last night and that could be worth a place come seasons end. I still think we need a young up and coming keeper as third choice ASAP as we have two good keepers with four or five years and Henn is bound to get the odd back problem. Only a wanker would want any Palace player to fail (and we know who they are from the Hennessy thread)
But I thought a youth keeper would be better?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Ifill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The key statistic for a goalkeeper is clean sheets kept. This season Henn has played 15 prem games keeping 4 clean sheets, whereas Guaita has kept 3 clean sheets in 5 prem games. On that form, Guaita has to be the first choice.

Assuming he gets a run of another 10 games the comparison will be better. I do not expect another 6 clean sheets in his next 10 games, but 4 would be pretty good.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:13 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifill Over View Post
The key statistic for a goalkeeper is clean sheets kept. This season Henn has played 15 prem games keeping 4 clean sheets, whereas Guaita has kept 3 clean sheets in 5 prem games. On that form, Guaita has to be the first choice.

Assuming he gets a run of another 10 games the comparison will be better. I do not expect another 6 clean sheets in his next 10 games, but 4 would be pretty good.
Rubbish.

That would imply that a keeper who played in a game where the opposition did not have a shot at our goal, has played better than one who has made 20 saves in a 1-1 draw.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:19 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Early days but he just looks like a top keeper in a similar way that Nigel Martyn did immediately he came in for Suckling.

Despite a significant improvement in the last 12m Henno never convinces me.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Decent Goalie and a decent Goalie coach, extraordinary times.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
Now we just need an extraordinary striker!
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM

eagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
Early days but he just looks like a top keeper in a similar way that Nigel Martyn did immediately he came in for Suckling.

Despite a significant improvement in the last 12m Henno never convinces me.
For all his flaws, I've always quite liked Hennessey. But I agree with this. There's always been something about him that has just made me nervous or uncomfortable. Even when Guaita has had his shaky moments, I just generally feel more relaxed about him being in the net.

It's an odd one.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:27 PM

costello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Looks fantastic. Love the way he steps up and plays as part of the defence. IMHO the current back 5 is, by some stretch, the best we have ever had. Enjoy!
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
He looks happy playing as well, I was worried we had decent keeper at last and although I understood why Wayne couldn't be dropped, I thought we'd end up losing Guaita and for him to be unhappy coming here and sitting on the bench. Not that I wish injury or bad form on anyone I am just glad he could finally get into the team and hope he ends up our new Speroni, it seems hard to dislike him at the moment.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello View Post
Looks fantastic. Love the way he steps up and plays as part of the defence. IMHO the current back 5 is, by some stretch, the best we have ever had. Enjoy!
It is a very good back 5,but you would go a long way to beat any back 4 Nigel martyn had in front of him
Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
I would criticise the criticism on this thread
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns7 View Post
It is a very good back 5,but you would go a long way to beat any back 4 Nigel martyn had in front of him
er.....John Humphrey ffs.

Whilst O'Rielly, Ninja, Andy Thorn, Paul Bodin and especially Mark Dennis were a great set in our history I think that this defence is just far more talented.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I find the goalkeeping debate at Palace quite amusing. In my opinion, the following things are true:

- For much of his time at Palace, Hennessey has been poor
- Notwithstanding that, however, some fans took to blaming him for every goal and giving him no credit for any decent performances. I’ve even seen him criticised for not saving a penalty.
- And, of course, the reverse was true for Hennessey supporters.

In the latter part of last season and particularly in this season, Hennessey’s form improved significantly. This improvement was, inevitably underplayed by the Hennessey-haters (‘he’s now just adequate’) and over-played by his fans. Imo, his form this season was more than ‘adequate’ – he has been a good Premier League keeper.
Guiata has now come in and is rightly now first choice. He is the better keeper – and the better long-term prospect (would Hennessey’s improved form have lasted?) But the exaggerated comments both ways have continued (for example, Hennessey-haters absolved him of any blame for the De Bruyne goal, but would have undoubtedly criticised Hennessey in the same circumstances).

I think we’ve actually been really lucky with how it has worked out this season. I’m not convinced Guiata was ready for the first team at the start of the season (as evidenced by his League Cup performances) and had he played from the start it might have ruined his Palace career. So we were lucky that Hennessey started the season in form. But I think we’ve also been fortunate with the timing of Hennessey’s injury – which has given Guiata the chance to come in and now we have the right man taking over the goalkeeper’s jersey when he was ready to do so.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 03-01-2019, 02:55 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post

Whilst O'Rielly, Ninja, Andy Thorn, Paul Bodin and especially Mark Dennis were a great set in our history I think that this defence is just far more talented.
Yup.

Think Tomkins is as good a CB as any in the England squad, Sakho is getting into the squad of the world champions, PVA is one of the best attacking Left Full Backs there is at the moment and AWB a hugely exciting young talent.

Back in front of Martyn you have 4 out and out defenders, not sure how they would have survived in the modern game with so much expected in an attacking sense from defenders now.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I find the goalkeeping debate at Palace quite amusing. In my opinion, the following things are true:

- For much of his time at Palace, Hennessey has been poor
- Notwithstanding that, however, some fans took to blaming him for every goal and giving him no credit for any decent performances. I’ve even seen him criticised for not saving a penalty.
- And, of course, the reverse was true for Hennessey supporters.

In the latter part of last season and particularly in this season, Hennessey’s form improved significantly. This improvement was, inevitably underplayed by the Hennessey-haters (‘he’s now just adequate’) and over-played by his fans. Imo, his form this season was more than ‘adequate’ – he has been a good Premier League keeper.
Guiata has now come in and is rightly now first choice. He is the better keeper – and the better long-term prospect (would Hennessey’s improved form have lasted?) But the exaggerated comments both ways have continued (for example, Hennessey-haters absolved him of any blame for the De Bruyne goal, but would have undoubtedly criticised Hennessey in the same circumstances).

I think we’ve actually been really lucky with how it has worked out this season. I’m not convinced Guiata was ready for the first team at the start of the season (as evidenced by his League Cup performances) and had he played from the start it might have ruined his Palace career. So we were lucky that Hennessey started the season in form. But I think we’ve also been fortunate with the timing of Hennessey’s injury – which has given Guiata the chance to come in and now we have the right man taking over the goalkeeper’s jersey when he was ready to do so.
Lot of sense in there.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
We have nothing to criticise, but criticism itself.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post

I think Nigel is the best keeper we've had ,but this back four is very good
I thought Humphrey was alright
Maybe it's blurred memory
But after that 9- nil that back four had to be reshaped,we played Southampton on the Saturday and went just to show some support for Perry
Tomkins deserves an England call up but I doubt he will get it
Old 03-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
The issue with all of this is how to evaluate a goalkeeper. All we really have to go on is our eyes. If you take shot stopping, which is only one part of goalkeeping all the normal fan has “X would have saved that” based on his eyes.

Now your stats guy would say we can evaluate a keeper based on “post shot expected goals” and Hennessey was bottom of the Premier Laegie in that and even after his improvement is still fourth bottom. And that will support what some people see with their eyes, but unless you know reaction times, shot strength, shot placement / distance travelled by the keeper / by the ball etc (which we know some of but certainly not al and probably not most) then even post shot expected goals, which is clearly better than they eye test over a big enough sample, remains quite crude. Some other sports do look at this sort of thing (baseball has fielding stats known as defensive runs saved which is not entirely dissimilar to how post shot expected goals works, but the sample size required to get comfortable was really quite large like a couple of years)

Until someone can accurately measure the individual elements (which they can now do in baseball for fielders, through having cameras tracing them all) then it is going to remain subjective. What we can learn from baseball though is that fans, and frankly players and coaches based on their eyes get lots and lots of this wrong.

And that’s just shot stopping. We can see that teams valuing other elements of keepers more now, like the ability with the ball at their feet which a number of clubs (mainly those with lots of resources and consequently more data analaysis and better scouting) have been targeting.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 03-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.