Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Nah the Derby game he was talking about. I was at the Blackpool game and the re scheueled game which we lost 1-2 them scoring 2 goals in the last 5 minutes. I think I am right here it was the last game we lost that season.

As for Graham Nash ,he was with the Hollies at the time
That loss was indeed our last loss of the season. It was 1-0 to us when we had to leave because our driver "wanted to miss the traffic". I thought my dad was winding me up when he said we lost 2-1. No teletext back then, so I had to wait for the BBC to confirm it at the end of the news.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:47 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
50 years ago today Palace hosted Cardiff City who were currently second and in the final promotion place. Nearly 20000 crowd at Selhurst and I seem to recall it was very vocal that day. Palace started off very quickly and battered Cardiff. Goals from Tony Taylor, a cracker from Roger Hoy (I think this was the first game I recall the "He's here his there his every f#####g where, Roger Hoy, Roger Hoy" rolled off the terraces) a third goal from Colin Taylor sealed a big win as we moved into fifth place just 7 points behind Derby in top spot.
It was St David's Day and the taffy's brought a fair few fans. For some strange reason I thought that Cardiff went ahead in the game. Anyone remember? Sure it was Toshack.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 PM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
I we were well in front when they scored. Was under the roof of the Arthur. I remember it was a pretty cold day ,and yes it was a charged atmosphere . Beating the Taffs on St Davids day was a bonus ,had a sore throat at the end of the game,which got me out of a do I did not want to go to that night.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I can see I'm going to have to dig out my scrap book again... just by luck this was the only year I kept one with a newspaper cutting of every game (I think).
Old 02-03-2019, 08:05 AM

olly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What date was the Palace vs Middlesbrough game
0-0 If I remember
Dad took me to my first ever game that day, he was a Bromley fan so did well to accept my choice
Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
It was Good Friday is all I can remember.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Ockleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly cromwell View Post
What date was the Palace vs Middlesbrough game
0-0 If I remember
Dad took me to my first ever game that day, he was a Bromley fan so did well to accept my choice
4th April 1969
Old 02-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockleywood View Post
4th April 1969

It was Good Friday and I remember how lucky we were catching the 130 from the New Addington terminus at Homestead Way. Lucky because it was an early kick off and so many people wanted to go the bus was full up after a few stops.

I remember that more clearly than the match which was a tedious bore draw.

A belated arrival at this thread - must find the copy of Palace Echo in which there's an account of the season I wrote.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
I was probably the only Palace supporter at my school which was predominately Charlton and Millwall. As such I went to several Charlton games during that season when Palace were either away or not playing.

They did in fact finish 6 points behind us in third but had some important wins near the end of the season over Cardiff and Middlesbrough. The highlight game for me was watching them beat the champions Derby at home 2-0. Other memories were watching wins at Oxford with both Palace and Charlton. Both the league games with Charlton finished in draws as did the third round cup game at the Valley, although they won the replay 2-0 denying us a trip to Arsenal.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I was probably the only Palace supporter at my school which was predominately Charlton and Millwall. As such I went to several Charlton games during that season when Palace were either away or not playing.

They did in fact finish 6 points behind us in third but had some important wins near the end of the season over Cardiff and Middlesbrough. The highlight game for me was watching them beat the champions Derby at home 2-0. Other memories were watching wins at Oxford with both Palace and Charlton. Both the league games with Charlton finished in draws as did the third round cup game at the Valley, although they won the replay 2-0 denying us a trip to Arsenal.
Your story is very similar to mine. I went to a lot of Charlton games back then as my mates Dad took us. I even went to the Arsenal game you talk of!

Was the Middlesbrough game a record crowd at the time?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Your story is very similar to mine. I went to a lot of Charlton games back then as my mates Dad took us. I even went to the Arsenal game you talk of!

It was a league game record for us with a crowd of 43,381. At the time our record crowd was 45,384 for the 6th round cup game against Leeds in March 1965.

We were soon to break that the following season with a crowd of 48,610 in our first home game against Man United.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 02-03-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:

The Palace vs Boro attendance was a league record at the time breaking the previous record of 38,006 set in Sept 1967 when QPR were the visitors. As we all know the record didn't last for long
Old 02-03-2019, 07:42 PM
The Spiky One

Thanks guys... something in the back of my head was telling me it wasn't a record.

Like most have said on here, it was a let down of a game in the sun and a morning kick off. Had to stand way up the back of the Holmesdale and towards the gates at the Park Road side due to the crowd.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
50 years ago today Palace hosted Cardiff City who were currently second and in the final promotion place. Nearly 20000 crowd at Selhurst and I seem to recall it was very vocal that day. Palace started off very quickly and battered Cardiff. Goals from Tony Taylor, a cracker from Roger Hoy (I think this was the first game I recall the "He's here his there his every f#####g where, Roger Hoy, Roger Hoy" rolled off the terraces) a third goal from Colin Taylor sealed a big win as we moved into fifth place just 7 points behind Derby in top spot.
Got Cliff Jackson's autograph that day and was made up , my first Palace hero. Perfect day
"Thatís the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Slightly off subject, by a few months,I was very surprised to hear that we beat the mighty Leeds Utd in the League Cup that season. Leeds won the League Championship THAT year! If you look at the Their side it was pretty much full strength. I don't recall it mentioned in famous Palace victory lists etc (though maybe I missed it) . Little us had never been in the top tier of course so I'd rate this a pretty bl*ody famous victory. Anyway, since I've got you here, couldn't resist, ,anyof you guys go? Any memories / thoughts to share?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:09 PM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Slightly off subject, by about a month, I was very surprised to hear that we beat the mighty Leeds Utd in the League Cup that season. Leeds won the League Championship THAT year! If you look at the Their side it was pretty much full strength. I don't recall it mentioned in famous Palace victory lists etc (though maybe I missed it) . Little us had never been in the top tier of course so I'd rate this a pretty bl*ody famous victory. Any of you guys go? Any memories to share?
Colin Taylor's thunderbolt of a free kick, a great atmosphere and the fact that the win made us begin to believe we could actually reach the First Division at last.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
It was a league game record for us with a crowd of 43,381. At the time our record crowd was 45,384 for the 6th round cup game against Leeds in March 1965.

We were soon to break that the following season with a crowd of 48,610 in our first home game against Man United.
And Brighton's record home attendance is still only 36k, in 1958, pathetic!
"Thatís the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I still can’t believe that we played Boro on the Good Friday and Pompey on the Saturday!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoonara View Post
I still canít believe that we played Boro on the Good Friday and Pompey on the Saturday!
I might be wrong, but didn't we also play on the Monday?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
I might be wrong, but didn't we also play on the Monday?
Tuesday evening - away to Huddersfield.

(Away to Preston on the Saturday.)

Same players for all 4 matches.